Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

best exhaust for an 06

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 02:24 PM
bonedaddyjr06
1st Gear Member

Default best exhaust for an 06

i have an 06 i picked up yesterday...i owe a small amount on it still so im using a little bit more than half of every paycheck to pay it off...my question is what is the best exhaust for it...after the warrenty is up i'll be adding a s/c but thats a long ways away....In the next year or so i want to addn the exhaust/headers, intake, tune, and maybe some other small things...

thanks,
Cody
Old 06-15-2006, 02:28 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: best exhaust for an 06

"after the warrenty is up i'll be adding a s/c but thats a long ways away"

excellent plan +1
Old 06-15-2006, 04:55 PM
StrokerAce177
1st Gear Member

I have SLP Loudmouths, gives a good aggresive tone, but I have heard nothing bad about Magnaflow.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:47 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

What do you mean by "best" exhaust? If you mean "loudest", then SLP Loudmouths seem to be the forum favorite. But they're not mufflers, they're muffler eliminators. If you want good sound with no drone and money is not an issue, Corsas. Beyond that there are Borlas and Magnaflows, but there have been drone complaints about both.

Now if by "best" you mean biggest performance gains, none of them really help out much there.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:52 PM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Why wait for the warranty to expire to slap on the s/c?

If you are going to put on intake, headers, exhaust, computer tune, gears, etc. you'll
void your powertrain warranty just the same as you would by throwing a s/c on it.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:08 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Driver72

If you are going to put on intake, headers, exhaust, computer tune, gears, etc. you'll
void your powertrain warranty just the same as you would by throwing a s/c on it.
There's been a lot of discussion on this. NO mod voids your warranty, not even a supercharger. Mod's only factor in if the dealership believes the particular mod may have caused the repair that is being requested. IE, if you have a tune and burn up your rings, they may argue that your tune was running too lean and caused the problem and thus is not covered by your warranty. But this does not mean your warranty is void, only that they won't pay for that particular repair. If you blow your rearend, they would replace it even with the above mod's.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:56 PM
bonedaddyjr06
1st Gear Member

by best i meant most performance gains....i dont want it too loud...had a problem with that in my srt-4....thank you all for your input
Old 06-15-2006, 07:05 PM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tres Wright

ORIGINAL: Driver72

There's been a lot of discussion on this. NO mod voids your warranty, not even a supercharger. Mod's only factor in if the dealership believes the particular mod may have caused the repair that is being requested. IE, if you have a tune and burn up your rings, they may argue that your tune was running too lean and caused the problem and thus is not covered by your warranty. But this does not mean your warranty is void, only that they won't pay for that particular repair. If you blow your rearend, they would replace it even with the above mod's.
Yeah, that's why I said it would void your powertrain warranty.
This is the same song and dance with most every car and car company.
It's mostly up to each dealer.
People say, "but the dealer has to "prove" that the mod caused the failure."
Well I always say, "what are you going to do, sue the dealer and take them to court and force them
to prove it?"

If a dealer denies you coverage on anything in your powertrain when you've modded your powertrain
you are SOL. You can go to another dealer and HOPE they'll fix it under warranty.

I talked to Ford Motorsports, FRPP, and Ford Motor Company themselves and they all said the same thing.
Technically ANY modification can void the warranty on anything that mod affects. But then they all said,
"that's between you and your dealer".

Anyway, back on topic, sorry I moved off.

Axle back exhausts themselves aren't going to do much in the way of performance.
It's more about sound.
Full exhaust will give you a more reasonable bump in power (and might drop some weight too) but
you'll pay a decent amount for what might be 10-15 hp gain.
If you are looking for sound, just get an axle back that you like best.
Or even just change out the mufflers for a more aggressive sound.
Personally, I love the sound of the stock exhaust on the 05/06 MGT.