Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

SLP too loud for california?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 02:09 AM
gkosin
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: SLP too loud for california?

They pull you over for anything in Brea as well.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:14 AM
gkosin
2nd Gear Member

I posted this awhile back has some links on the exhaust rules and enforcement.
Greg

Check out these few links that will answer your question. I ran across them awhile back.
http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=8132
http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=8133 This is the CHP guidelines. Interesting to read that just because you change you exhaust doesn't mean its illegal.
http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=8134
Old 06-17-2006, 02:45 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JayholeUSMC

Emissions legal in all 50 states
Exactly what Richard and I stated, they are EMISSIONS legal. That does not mean they comply with NOISE laws/ standards in all 50 states (they don't).

ORIGINAL: gkosin

This is the CHP guidelines. Interesting to read that just because you change you exhaust doesn't mean its illegal.
http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=8134
Here's a quote off of that page:

"The exhaust noise provisions in 1036(d)(1) establish a limit of 95 dB(A) measured 20 inches from the exhaust pipe outlet with the engine operating in neutral, at a specified speed typically between 3000 and 5000 rpm"

While many aftermarket exhaust might meet that standard, there's no way the SLP LM's do between 3000 and 5000 rpm Noise standards typically come into play in two instances- 1) inspection time (yearly here in TX) and 2)if a policeman is mad at you and is looking for an excuse to pull you over and/or write you a ticket I've been there!

So how loud is 95 decibels? Here are some readings:

The Houston Chronicle's study utilized a hand-held decibel meter bought from Radio Shack. They visited various parts of the city and measured the meter's readings. Ruggles, a popular restaurant, hit 86 decibels on a Saturday night. Two people talking on a busy street hit 70 decibels, and the level of rush hour traffic measured 78 decibels. A Metro bus hit 94 decibels. The interior of a 10-year-old Volkswagon convertible driving on a freeway with the windows up hit 78 decibels, but hit 90 decibels when an 18 wheeler truck drove past and the convertible top was down. A train traveling through the Heights measured 92 decibels, and an airplane landing at Hobby Airport measured 96 decibels. Musical bands playing outdoors of Sam's Place, Sam's Club, and the Daiquiri Factory hit 114 decibels, with car stereo systems which drove past hitting nearly the same level. The movie entitled Scream at a local theater hit 100 decibels during a climactic point of the movie. The Houston Zoo was relatively calm with the exception of a macaw shriek at 92 decibels, the calls of the siamang gibbons at 104 decibels. The Japanese Garden in Hermann Park measured 56 decibels, and the Houston Arboretum measured 54 decibels, with the exception of the side that faced a highway causing the reading to jump to 70 decibels.

Now get out your meter and hold it 20" from your SLP's and rev it up to 5000 rpm
Old 06-17-2006, 06:44 AM
RedGTyl
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it. I'm probably gonna take it off. Its sounds incredible but its down right thunderous.[sm=jawdrop.gif] You can download a video of it off SLP's site but its either BS or its just not picking up the sound because does NOT sound like mine. very misleading. Mine is like 20 times louder. I'm not gonna lie I love the thunder but now i feel like i was mislead and wasted my money because its illegal here. anyways I'll let you know what I end up doing with it. Monday I'm going back to the shop.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:49 AM
RedGTyl
1st Gear Member

Now get out your meter and hold it 20" from your SLP's and rev it up to 5000 rpm
haha yea. I think it would shatter the meter. I must say that the mustang sounds pretty amazing straight piped (what the Loudmouth is...but for friggin 300 bucks?!!! [:@]). I've heard many other vehicles that sound like *** straight piped. "my friend refered to it as a "thunderous bugle of V8 glory." [sm=burnout.gif]
Old 06-17-2006, 01:03 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

"This affordable, easy-to-install kit eliminates the factory mufflers entirely"
Rather than only partially.....

SEMPER FI!!!
Old 06-17-2006, 01:23 PM
JayholeUSMC

ORIGINAL: viking396

"This affordable, easy-to-install kit eliminates the factory mufflers entirely"
Rather than only partially.....

SEMPER FI!!!
hahahahaha
Old 06-17-2006, 03:13 PM
gkosin
2nd Gear Member

Default Video with sound meter Corsa Axleback

Here is a video I made when I was installing my Corsa's. Its my first attempt at posting a video so don't give me to much grief. I didn't have the sound meter setup at first, only after the mufflers were back on. The sound meter hit 100db which is the highest it could read on the setting it was on. I didn't realize that until I looked at the video later that night. I don't think it went much over 100 but I will have to do another one set on a higher range to see how loud it really is.
The first part is after removing the stock but before the new exhaust. I scared the kids in the house when it popped a few times as the rpms came back down
Greg

http://media.putfile.com/Corsa-Exhaust-70
Old 06-17-2006, 04:09 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Video with sound meter Corsa Axleback

ORIGINAL: gkosin

Here is a video I made when I was installing my Corsa's. Its my first attempt at posting a video so don't give me to much grief. I didn't have the sound meter setup at first, only after the mufflers were back on. The sound meter hit 100db which is the highest it could read on the setting it was on. I didn't realize that until I looked at the video later that night. I don't think it went much over 100 but I will have to do another one set on a higher range to see how loud it really is.
The first part is after removing the stock but before the new exhaust. I scared the kids in the house when it popped a few times as the rpms came back down
Greg

http://media.putfile.com/Corsa-Exhaust-70
hehe you should check my post about the LM's I made some vids too
Old 06-17-2006, 04:17 PM
JayholeUSMC

Default RE: Video with sound meter Corsa Axleback

it sounds almost the same (corsa) well minus the extra fuel burn offs... and its a little bit toned down...

Quick Reply: SLP too loud for california?