Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

FORD makes a CAI for 05,06

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 02:52 PM
bc

Default FORD makes a CAI for 05,06

This is interesting:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9286

MSRP is $649.00. Now if you can buy this directly from Ford I don't see how a dealer could refuse to honor engine warranty work by blaming it on this. A bit more pricey and the tune they install requires premium gas. But still, it's made and sold by Ford.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:55 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: FORD makes a CAI for 05,06

ORIGINAL: bc

This is interesting:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9286

MSRP is $649.00. Now if you can buy this directly from Ford I don't see how a dealer could refuse to honor engine warranty work by blaming it on this. A bit more pricey and the tune they install requires premium gas. But still, it's made and sold by Ford.
It has to be certified Ford and installed by the dealership to maintain warranty on it. And also, didnt know if you knew this but they can only void warranty if the part you added was the CAUSE of the problem. Say if you add an intake and your driveshaft drops while youre driving down the road, its still under warranty because the CAI has absolutlely nothing to do with the driveshaft. Now if you run your engine too lean because of the CAI (and no tune) and burn it up, I highly doubt they would replace your engine under the warranty.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:57 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Also, another reason why people choose other CAI's other than the Ford Racing one... the other simply add more power...
Old 06-17-2006, 03:01 PM
bc

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage
It has to be certified Ford and installed by the dealership to maintain warranty on it. And also, didnt know if you knew this but they can only void warranty if the part you added was the CAUSE of the problem. Say if you add an intake and your driveshaft drops while youre driving down the road, its still under warranty because the CAI has absolutlely nothing to do with the driveshaft. Now if you run your engine too lean because of the CAI (and no tune) and burn it up, I highly doubt they would replace your engine under the warranty.
After talking with my original dealer service department shop foreman I have the feeling that at least there, and maybe many more dealers too, they would try anything to negate the warranty if you had a mod. I'm serious...this shop foreman even started mumbling something about transmission failure and something about heat and trans seals or something...I'm not sure. But he was trying to imply that even automatic transmission problems could be linked backed to a CAI. So I would assume they'd try anything to get out of warranty work if you had any mods done.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:26 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bc

After talking with my original dealer service department shop foreman I have the feeling that at least there, and maybe many more dealers too, they would try anything to negate the warranty if you had a mod. I'm serious...this shop foreman even started mumbling something about transmission failure and something about heat and trans seals or something...I'm not sure. But he was trying to imply that even automatic transmission problems could be linked backed to a CAI. So I would assume they'd try anything to get out of warranty work if you had any mods done.
There is a law protecting you from having your warranty taken away for something like this, its called the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. I really think we need to make this a sticky somewhere and highlight the parts about how aftermarket products can only void a warranty if it is the CAUSE of the problem.. Maybe a moderator would do this? It would be greatly appreciated.

But back to you BC, if they try to give you any **** about your CAI saying that it caused any problems that dont seem believable, like the CAI/transmission problem above.. anything that sounds completely stupid.... Print this out http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...s/warranty.htm ..take it to your dealership. Tell them to PROVE to you how it caused the problem and not in technical babble so you cant understand. And then once theyve PROVEN it, THEN they can void your warranty for that part. I guarentee though, you slap that printed stack of papers on their desk and theyll **** their pants and shut the hell up and replace your parts for you.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:18 PM
lynwood78
3rd Gear Member

bookmark
Old 06-17-2006, 05:39 PM
bc

But back to you BC, if they try to give you any **** about your CAI saying that it caused any problems that dont seem believable, like the CAI/transmission problem above.. anything that sounds completely stupid.... Print this out http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...s/warranty.htm ..take it to your dealership. Tell them to PROVE to you how it caused the problem and not in technical babble so you cant understand. And then once theyve PROVEN it, THEN they can void your warranty for that part. I guarentee though, you slap that printed stack of papers on their desk and theyll **** their pants and shut the hell up and replace your parts for you.
Thanks for additional the info. After reading lots of posts here I'm just trying to decide which way to go because I do want to do the CAI route whether it be one such as JLT or C&L with tune or maybe the Granatelli deal that does not require a tune and supplies a new MA sensor to properly calculate the air mass. And of course there's the Ford CAI I metioned in another post which probably is not as good, more expensive, requires premium gas, but if installed by dealer I assume I would not have any warranty issues. So there's quite a few options...just deciding which way to go.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:57 AM
dmacalak

appreciate the info too, trying to decide which tune to go with
Old 06-19-2006, 01:00 AM
Jeremy
4th Gear Member

Holy crap! $649.00! That's a lotta cheese! Anybody find the power increase on this thing?
Old 06-19-2006, 02:17 PM
StartMeUp
1st Gear Member

The website says the power upgrade package increases HP by 20 at the rear wheels for the manual transmion. That kit does include some other goodies though, mainly the muffler kit. But, it's been stated on the forums before that mufflers really don't give you more power on the 06-06's. So, it would be my guess that it's the CAI that's adding all of the ponies.

I posted before asking if anyone had this kit because I'm interested in it myself. Yeah the others probably add more power but this one looks sharp (IMO) and it says "Ford Racing" on it.

Quick Reply: FORD makes a CAI for 05,06