Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mixed Reviews and Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 04:00 AM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

Default Mixed Reviews and Opinions

Well, I am new to this forum but not new to Mustangs. I have owned an 89GT, 91GT, 94GT, and now a 06GT. By far, I loved the overall sound of my 91GT with equal length shoty headers, an off-road H-pipe and 2-Chamber American Thunder Flowmasters. I have been reading day in and day out on which performance parts are worth the money. With so many mixed reviews and opinions on the overall HP output by certain parts or combination of parts - I have completely held off from purchasing anything for my 06GT. Instead, I have decided to simply purchase a S/C and go from there. Now, more decisions; Powerdine, Kenny Bell, ProCharger, Magna Charger, etc. (Anyone have a prefered favorite?)

My Mustang is currently caged up in a storage facility while I am deployed overseas. So, I will just continue to save until I return and then slap some serious HP on my GT. My question is this. As the 05 and 06 GT is still kind of new - do we forsee any new S/C packages coming out for this car in the near future? I have seen some companies claiming 50-75% HP gains over the stock motor. With that said, here is my last question, if you add 60% HP to your stock Mustang - what parts do you suggest upgrading to meet or match the stress added by this power gains?
Old 06-18-2006, 04:10 AM
blackened
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Mixed Reviews and Opinions

450 rwhp with a good safe tune is about the max ppl are running on stock internals right now. although others have blown up their motors with less power than that, on what they thought was a safe tune but ended up getting some bad gas. saleen and whipple are probably the 2 with the most homework behind there units and their tuning as ford has worked directly with them on devlopment. if you want more hp than that then you are going to need to upgrade your internals to all forged parts, pistons, rods and crank for starters. while you're in there you may consider upgrading the valve train and having a little clean up work done on the heads. btw - swapping out the rotating assembly is going to get a lot more expensive if you wait to blow it up b/c you'r probably going to be looking for a new block as well.

bottom line is get a good tune with a fat a/f mixture and don't go crazy on timing, and alway run 93 or better if you can.

btw, thanks for your service!!
Old 06-18-2006, 04:13 AM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cryptic26djp

Well, I am new to this forum but not new to Mustangs. I have owned an 89GT, 91GT, 94GT, and now a 06GT. By far, I loved the overall sound of my 91GT with equal length shoty headers, an off-road H-pipe and 2-Chamber American Thunder Flowmasters. I have been reading day in and day out on which performance parts are worth the money. With so many mixed reviews and opinions on the overall HP output by certain parts or combination of parts - I have completely held off from purchasing anything for my 06GT. Instead, I have decided to simply purchase a S/C and go from there. Now, more decisions; Powerdine, Kenny Bell, ProCharger, Magna Charger, etc. (Anyone have a prefered favorite?)

My Mustang is currently caged up in a storage facility while I am deployed overseas. So, I will just continue to save until I return and then slap some serious HP on my GT. My question is this. As the 05 and 06 GT is still kind of new - do we forsee any new S/C packages coming out for this car in the near future? I have seen some companies claiming 50-75% HP gains over the stock motor. With that said, here is my last question, if you add 60% HP to your stock Mustang - what parts do you suggest upgrading to meet or match the stress added by this power gains?
Very good idea...
Old 06-18-2006, 04:22 AM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

I love serving for this great Nation! I have 9 years total service and this will be my third tour over there....

I would love to get this 06GT up to the 400-425 HP mark without worrying about internals melting down, so to speak. I dont have the time or focus, as of late, to spend countless hours working on my Mustang. So, a couple quality bolt-ons and some good tuning to get me near that 400 HP range and I will be completely satisfied. Im not looking to drag every day or put strains on this motor so that I have to start replacing parts or even a block.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:20 AM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the help! I will get the Saleen Supercharger.... Does a S/C get the most power through a L/T or the S/T headers? And is it safe to go ahead and buy a C&L CAI setup now or should I get something different?
Old 06-18-2006, 12:18 PM
hwy1strat
2nd Gear Member

sometimes superchargers come with a caa and tuners,you also wanna look into injectors unless the s/c comes with those too
Old 06-20-2006, 05:33 PM
blackened
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cryptic26djp

I love serving for this great Nation! I have 9 years total service and this will be my third tour over there....
Absolutely fuggin awesome! Git'er done, get home and get that SC installed!!
Old 06-20-2006, 07:57 PM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the service you are doing.

In my research it seems the Saleen Twin Screw is right at the top.
Whipple has one coming out July 1st which is also a Twin Screw and
they are the makers of the s/c for the Ford GT and Lightening, so it'll
be a top notch unit as well.

They'll both make 400-420 rwhp with only around 5 psi boost.

The Saleen is intercooled however, the Whipple is not.
Whipple claims it's just not necessary on anything less than 6 psi boost.
They state that the twin screw of there's is so efficient it doesn't build
up much heat at all.
I'm leary of it, but must know what they are talking about.

So, from my research, though no personal experience
Saleen would be first choice
Whipple would be second.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:24 PM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

Thanks Driver72! Hey, do you happen to know if the Saleen S/C comes with the higher injectors? If so, I would imagine that they were built specifically for that S/C's design - but would there be a better suggested injector?

I am just trying to figure out what all I will need to buy and trying to do it all at once... and I am getting antsy! LOL
Old 06-21-2006, 09:48 AM
gregt909
2nd Gear Member

Unless Saleen has changed their kit it does not come with injectors. They claim you dont need them. However, I've seen a few folks here that were running lean with the stock injectors so they upgraded to #39. As long as you're already in there it may be a good idea to replace them.

Quick Reply: Mixed Reviews and Opinions