Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Steeda vs Motoblue LCAs

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 07:38 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Default Steeda vs Motoblue LCAs

Anyone tried motoblue's lower control arms or any of there products for that matter? They're LCAs look similar to steedas billet ones but are $150 cheaper. Both also have polyurethane bushings. Oh and what about Metco? Are they're products any good?
Old 06-18-2006, 08:16 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Steeda vs Motoblue LCAs

I would not buy a billet aluminum LCA. Yes, they look cool, but they are weaker than the tubular steel LCAs made by other companies. The whole point of replacing the OEM control arms is because they are too flexible. I would get the stiffest one that I could.

I suggest either the Spohn or the BMR tubular LCAs. Both companies make them in different versions (Adjustable/non adjustable, etc.) They should also cost less than even the Motoblue LCAs.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:28 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

I guess that does make sense that steel is stronger. As far as looks go I don't notice the stock ones most of the time so I guess tubular ones won't look bad. Are the tubular ones fairly quiet? Squeking can get annoying on some of the roads I'll be driving everyday.

BTW: I know this is off topic CrazyAl but do you have any soundclips of your exhaust. I have borlas and would like to know how dynatech with their X-pipe will sound before I drop 1300 on something I might not like.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:50 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Yeah, steel is about 3 times stronger than the aluminum they're using (even more if you buy the Chromoly LCAs). Plus, the tubular design is stronger than the "twin beam" style of the Steeda and Motoblues.

All of the major brand LCAs use similar polyurethane bushings: Steeda, Motoblue, Spohn. etc. They don't squeak if they are lubricated when you install them. You just put some grease on the inside of the bushing and on the bolts, and you're good to go.

I belive that the BMRs have grease fittings so you can easily lube them with a grease gun. The others really ought to have them, but I haven't checked.

By the way, if you have lowered your car, or you plan on lowering it, I would definatley get a set of Adjustable LCAs so you can get your pinion angle set correctly.

Nope, I don't have a sound clip of my exhaust, sorry!
Old 06-18-2006, 09:02 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Any particular grease required. I have molybedeum at work as well as plenty of other nasty stuff.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:13 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I've installed a lot of poly bushings on different cars, and usually they include their own grease with them. It's usually a clear silicone grease that comes in a little plastic packet. It is very sticky. I know that Energy Suspension (a very common brand of poly bushings) sells it seperatley. But I think that just about any kind of general purpose grease would work.

Moly is unessicary becasue there is no metal-to-metal contact with these parts. Of course, it won't hurt either, so I wouldn't hesitate to use it if that's what you have around. I've used it before with no problems.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:23 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

FYI - Steeda claimed 'over greasing' BOTH times I broke their LCA's. Hawgwash if you ask me. They are just junk. I agree with Al 100% but as far as the 'norm' of what's out there, the Metco are hands down the best. Twice the freakin size of steeda and utlizes eurethane in the front bushing and metal for the rear bushing. Has held up great for me and other guys pushing more power than me.

Also +1 to the recommendation of getting adjustable.

Mark
Old 06-18-2006, 09:38 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

What exactly is the pinion angle? All I know it relates to the rear axle. How would I adjust it and what would be a good street/strip setting? Is this dimension affected by adjustable panhard bars? Is there a way to tell when its out of ajustment?
Old 06-18-2006, 09:52 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Pinion angle is the angle between the pinion gear and the drive shaft.

It is set correctly at stock, but when you lower the rear end you alter the angle.

You don't need to adjust it unless you change the rear suspension height. It is completely seperate from, and has nothing to do with, an adjustable panhard bar.

You change it by "rotating" the entire rear axle housing a very small amount. You can do this with either an adjustable upper control arm or with adjustable lower control arms.

I suggest getting the adjustable lowers. Adjustable lowers are much stronger than an adjustable upper.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:16 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Thanks for all the help fellas. I regard both your inputs yery highly.