Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

x or H pype without cats. Does anyone have one here?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 08:56 PM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: x or H pype without cats. Does anyone have one here?

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

CAn't wait to hear your results. By the way I guess I'm rice as some refer as because I like the sound of a raspy pipe. Reminds me of Nascar.
ORIGINAL: RICVA05

Daniel I am carrying my car in to be custom dyno tuned with the Magnaflow X-pipe with free flow cats on Friday I will let you know how much more the car is putting down than before. I'm also switching out to the JLT cai from the Steeda cai. I'm going to do a before and after run. Think I'm also going to switch to the X-Cal 2 from the original X-Cal.
I just finished helping a fellow 05 owner install the Magnaflow without cats it is a little more raspier than mine but IMO they sound damn good how anybody can call it ricey is beyond me I have never heard a Honda have a V-8 sound.
I hope my tuner gets his dyno back online after the lighting strike from all those storms that went up the East coast.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:50 PM
GT06GT
2nd Gear Member

Bassani X pipe + mufflers = sexy, I dont find it raspy myself, and theres no backfire to it. + I think it seperates my mustang from every other one who has the motor boat thing goin on
Old 06-28-2006, 10:15 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

I'm with you GT06GT. I have a brand new Bassani X pipe for sale and if I hear one more, "I don't want it to sound ricey" statement I'm gonna crawl through the computor screen and choke somebody. What happens is some idiot who's never heard one but has read about it posts a statement that an H pipe sounds deaper and therefore an X pipe is automatically ricer in everyone's minds. They have absolutely no clue what they're talking about and obviously haven't ever heard a decent X pipe set up with decent mufflers in person. I can't wait to get my X pipe installed to gain POWER, that's right POWER folks! I had intendeed to use the Bassani with existing cats but decided to go with Borla long tube headers which come with an X pipe. My car sounds awesome now but I know it will sound even better after that addition. Please people give up on the X pipe sounds ricer concept. Go to a Nascar event and tell me you're not impressed with the sound you hear. Well guess what? They don't sound anything like your Mustang with H pipe but they are a hell of a lot faster and IMHO sound BETTER!
Old 06-29-2006, 11:13 AM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

[/quote]
I just finished helping a fellow 05 owner install the Magnaflow without cats it is a little more raspier than mine but IMO they sound damn good how anybody can call it ricey is beyond me I have never heard a Honda have a V-8 sound.
I hope my tuner gets his dyno back online after the lighting strike from all those storms that went up the East coast.
[/quote]

That would be me. See Sig. I agree with the NASCAR guys. This car sounds friggen sweat and when you get the RPMS up it's unbelievable. I should go to thetrack this Friday so expect to see the time slip drop. Nuff said.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:23 PM
ren274u
3rd Gear Member

Daniel i had the pypes x and didnt like the quality, plus it rattled the hell out of my car, and everything was properly torqued. So i returned and now i have the SLP X Pipe, it comes with and without cats. When i take it to the dealer**** i would just put the cats in, only takes 20min total. But i wil tell you with the high flow cats i run .1-.2 slower than without cats. Plus its a little louder, but the high flow cats are much louder than stock. Setup only cost me 350, worth it to me
Old 06-29-2006, 05:35 PM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

In your expert opinon - you are sure that the time you ran 1-2 tenths slower was because of the hi-flows? You are postive that no other track conditions, tempertature, heat of car, shifting, driver control, hook-up, etc, etc could have caused the time increase? I'm not trying to call you out REN, and you may be right, I'm just saying there are a lot of variables when doing real track comparisons. The only way to know for sure is to see on a dyno.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:37 PM
ren274u
3rd Gear Member

My buddy with a corvette who into bracket racing records all that stuff, and for the past month things have been pretty consistent. I did the on off testing 4 days within 2 weeks My 60ft have been within half a tenth. And i dont think i can mess up shifting. From my experience its slower, but i dont notice it thats why i keep them on most of the time.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:55 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

I would think that running an O/R X-pipe and SLP LM combo would equal no backpressure=loss in torque=burnt valves, not cool. But I'm not the expert here. Honestly is you want to avoid the raspy sound keep your cats. They absorb so many of the harsh sound your motor makes. Running Stingers or magnaflows as opposed to LMs can't hurt either. Same flow deeper tone. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:29 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

If that comment about choking someone was to me, then obviously you need to go back and read my post because it clearly states that I have never heard one in person and all I have seen in videos and FROM WHAT PEOPLE HAVE TOLD ME (in case youre blind I capitalized it this time), they said it was raspy. Thanks.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:39 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

My comment wasn't directed at any particular individual so please don't take offense. All I'm saying is people should stop forming opinions based on other peoples generalizations and wait until they actually hear something first hand before drawing a conclusion. Just take a look at all the different mufflers that fit the GT. Can you make some blanket statement and say all straight through mufflers sound deep with an H pipe? Each muffler design has it's own characteristic sound signature and X pipes, H pipes, or what have you are no different. Check out a high quality set of long tubes, X pipe, and mufflers and compare the same components in cheap bottom of the line ones and I guarantee they'll sound way different.
There are a multitude of different type and brand headers, midpipe, mufflers, cats, no cats, all factors that affect the end results. In other words the resultant final sound is the sum of ALL these components together.
A crappy sounding muffler, for example, can make anything that comes before it sound bad.

Quick Reply: x or H pype without cats. Does anyone have one here?