Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Front bumper paint

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 12:03 AM
kiedoy

Default Front bumper paint

Hi i need some advice, i had purchased a new 2006 gt in sceaming yellow awsome color.
My front bumper was a darker yellow than the rest of the car.So my dealer said he would
get the bumper repainted.I had recieved the car back a few days later. The bumper is still
not a perfect match. The auto body guy said that is best he can do.My friend agrees with me,
there is still a difference in the color. What should i do,[X(] any advice would be great.

kiedoy
Nova Scotia,Canada
Old 06-22-2006, 04:13 PM
flash74

Default RE: Front bumper paint

hey man was the difference in color around the fenders that you noticed? if so i the only thing you could do is blend the paint up on to the fenders. this would be really easy to do for the body shop and it would be better than painting te bumper again. your bumper has to much paint on it already they should have done this to begin with. i have painted cars for years so trust me on this! try looking at the color match under a good street light at night also.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:43 PM
xzo6
2nd Gear Member

I am having my bumper painted off the car,so I am not going to have the paint blended to adjoining panels.Even with my colour(black),it will never match perfectly'The bumper cover is made of polypropeline and paint will always appear slightly different,compared to painted metal.For black it may seem to be shinier .I would suggest if the bumper cover was on the car at the time of painting,then they should have blended it with the hood and fenders.However,ask the shop that did the work to redo again if you are dissatisfied.I think yellow is a hard colour to match,in the first place.You may get a better match next time or it might come out worse.My experience from working in a body shop tells me ,it was likely off the car when painted.It is easier to prep and paint that way(much less chance of having the paint run while spraying it).Are you happier with the original yellow bumper or is it slightly better this time?
If you think they improved on the colour a bit from the original way it looked,then I would say , to just live with it.If too many coats of paint end up on the cover ,it would need to be stripped down(no fun at all)before it is repainted again.I am sorry if this dosen't help you out...but goodluck,all the same[sm=itsok.gif]
Old 06-23-2006, 03:04 PM
Rolland
1st Gear Member

This really isn't going to be much help, but I do not understand why they can not do a perfect color match. I had a dent removed from my passenger door and the bodyshop had to drill and repaint - and they did a perfect job. They just got Ford Vista Blue and went from there. Why try to do a color match when they can order Ford paint direct?

If they are using the Ford paint, then there is no reason the color shouldn't be perfect. Try looking around to see if they (or another dealership) has another Screaming Yellow in stock and compare colors to them. Find out if you are the "only one" or if all Screaming Yellow's have this same issue.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:58 PM
The long rider
1st Gear Member

Hey Kiedoy, I feel your pain. I had the same problems with both my bumpers and one quarter panel on my Tungsten grey. I think 9 out of 10 cars has the same problems with tungsten. The skippys at the dealer didn't see any problem, and I thought they would make it worse if anything. I found a paint shop with a spectrophotometer and took paint readings off the roof,hood and fenders. I thought if the formula was custom mixed to match the hood or fenders everything would be ok. My car didn't have one panel that fell within specs of the factory color formula. Even a PPG factory rep. was involved in trying match my stang. I wound up getting my whole car repainted and had stripes added. Now my bumpers match the fenders perfect! My new color looks ten time better than the sorry *** factory orange peeled paint.