Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

water in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 05:27 AM
05gtgreen
2nd Gear Member

Default water in trunk

I notice after every rain shower we get, there appears to be water in my trunk. It mostly sits between the drivers quater and trunk, in that crevise. Havne't removed the sub box yet to see if its in the other side. Anyone else notice this, and how hard is it to remove the sub box? This will be goin back in for warrenty again....
Old 06-22-2006, 10:32 AM
xzo6
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: water in trunk

I am hopeful (Ford)they perform a proper leak test .Sometimes they will try and tell you they couldn't find it...after keeping your car all day.Someone will need to get in the trunk with a light while someone else sprays the car(trunk area) with water.Goodluck.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:13 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

The same thing happened to my 05 Mustang GT coupe(the convertible may have different issues that cause water leakage into the trunk). It turned out that the water leakage had 3 separate sources.

(1) The dealership found that water was entering the trunk thru an opening in the sealant between the rear window and the car's frame. They applied silicone caulking which stopped the leakage.

(2) Later on I noticed water was still leaking into the trunk, but there was also grit laying in the bottom of the pools of water. I know that the rain in our area is full of all kinds of stuff, but I've never seen any grit in it. Did some testing, and found that water got into the trunk when I squirted a hose into the upper back part of the driver's rear wheel well. It turned out that the source was a poorly sealed internal flange that holds the gas fill tube in place. Jacked up the car, removed the tire, applied duct seal around the flange's outside perimeter, and the leak was stopped. Evidently, water was splashing up into that area from the rotating tire when I drove on rain soaked streets, it then entered thru the opening between the flange and the body, and finally collected in a trough located along the inside of the rear fender until the trough filled up at which point the water flowed into the spare tire well. And that explained why the water contained grit.

(3) Another source of possible leakage is when one washes the car with a hose, and squirts high velocity/high pressure water at the base of the rear window where the trunk's rubber molding contacts the trunk lid's frame. This can cause the molding to flex inward toward the trunk area, and water can leak thru the resultant opening. Removing the hose nozzle to wash that area stopped that leakage for me.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:07 PM
05gtgreen
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the fast reply's. I am goin to remove the sub box to see if its leaking on the other side as well, I surely hope not. I noticed a little pin hole on the top of the trunk's framing which I think might be responsible for the leaking. There is no grit in the water, its pretty clean actually. I had the back window replaced already which could be another reason. I am goin to clean out the trunk again and just try puttin a some silicone on that area to see if that helps. Really don't wanna deal with the ford guys again with this car, been in twice before already. Thanks!
Old 06-23-2006, 02:57 AM
lenko
1st Gear Member

Had water in my left rear quarterpanel. Only leaked driving in rain, not when washing car. Dealer found some was getting in in the gas filler well and sealed in there. This improved it. There was more leaking later but not as bad and they found another area and sealed that. I believe they had to remove the sub box as you couldn't see that area without its removal. Hopefully they got it. Passenger side OK.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:10 AM
05gtgreen
2nd Gear Member

I removed the sub box and everything is dry on that side. There was dirt in the corner but no water. I think I might have found a place where the water might be comin in so I am gonna try a little cilicone to see if that clears her up. If not, then ford will definetly be gettin another call.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:39 AM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

Have you tried closing your trunk before it snows?
Old 06-25-2006, 04:20 PM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

Heres another possible source;

Open the trunk, look at the left underside of the trunk lid. See the black flexable tubing? When I close my truck, that flexable tubing gets sandwiched between the trunk lid and the weather stripping.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:38 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

i took out one of the drain plug grommets so this problem does not turn into smelly mold
Old 06-25-2006, 08:13 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Probably non-related. But on my 06 the left side tail light harness boot wasent seated at all.

I would check them too at some point, though I dont think its your problem.

You have to get in the trunk with a flashlight and have someone start hosing the car down at various spot to find the leak.