Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Queston about 4.6L cam install

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 02:18 AM
SweetGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Queston about 4.6L cam install

Well u guys ought to pick up the latest issue of MM&FF they have a write up on the Blow By racing heads and cam packages(and 6 speed swap).

Very interesting on a stock 05 GT STAGE 2 heads w/STAGE 1 cams made 331rwhp. Then they bolted on a JLT2 CAI and the numbers jumped up to 353rwhp. Those are very respectable numbers considering how close to stock the car is as far as bolt-ons go.

They mention in the article that Blow By racing had a car with the STAGE 2 heads and cams with a race tune and race fuel made 409 to the wheels. Sounds like 400rwhp is very possible if u have all the bolt-ons for you GT........just some food for thought
Old 06-24-2006, 03:08 AM
TexStang06
2nd Gear Member

Not Callin bs because I would love to see 330rwhp with cams and heads only....but somethin sounds a bit inflated....The way everyone talks, BBRacing sounds like they inflate alot of their numbers, and I hear (on these forums) that BBR has been having problems with their cars staying running. I mean like its been said a million times, the 3v is a new motor, and not much is out for it yet....maybe a heads and cam swap will do for us as it does for the ls1 guys. That'd be nice....correction, that would be great!! I can't wait till someone on here does a cam and head swap on the stock motor and verifies these numbers that have been floating around. If its true, I'd gladly buy cams and heads if I gain an honest 45-60hp to the wheels and stay n/a....gahhhh thinkin about it makes me excited....Anyways ttyl guys...
Cory
Old 06-24-2006, 10:10 AM
06 Roush Fan

Thanks for the replies, I'm learning alot on here! So, basically I'd be better off either spraying or going with a supercharger? I looked at the Kenne Bell yesterday and made a list of supporting mods so for under $8,000.00 I can have more HP than a stage 3 Roush, still saving money. Now why does a cam in these motors only make 20 - 30 hp with a tune? Just curious because my friends Z-28 made over 60 RWHP with a cam, roller rockers, and tune. It's a 2000 model LS1 camaro. I thought these might be similar but it seems the Fords like different types of mods. BTW, I ordered some 4.10 gears yesterday along with a set of 1-3/4 ceramic coated LT's and X-pipe. Should make a difference I hope. Just to make a long story short I raced Chris in his Z-28 and got beat by 4 car lengths yesterday, I can't have that in a $40,000.00 car! I think these gears and exhaust will make a difference. I'm leaving the Roush cat-back on since it allready flows and sounds good. Thanks for the advise,

06 Roush Fan
Old 06-24-2006, 11:53 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06 Roush Fan

Thanks for the replies, I'm learning alot on here! So, basically I'd be better off either spraying or going with a supercharger? I looked at the Kenne Bell yesterday and made a list of supporting mods so for under $8,000.00 I can have more HP than a stage 3 Roush, still saving money. Now why does a cam in these motors only make 20 - 30 hp with a tune?
I think the reason is that our motor is already "better" stock than his Z-28 motor in some ways. It is a newer design, and Ford has done a lot of R&D on the heads and such, probably with sophisticated computer airflow modeling. These heads are "brand new" technology. There isn't as much room to improve them as there is on your buddy's Z-28. Also His motor is a pushrod engine. So his rockers and such are costing him power--which is why roller rockers are good in those motors. But our motor is a SOHC so we don't have that issue at all. We never "lost" that HP in the first place.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:56 PM
06 Roush Fan

True, it still amazes me at the power stock in a small 4.6L motor these cars have. I don't think it'll take much to outrun his camaro, for one, I've allready got a better suspension than he does, better tires and a better power band. I'm going to research a little more for a cam swap but if it's going to cost me nearly two grand I'll just fork up the extra money and go the Kenne Bell route. I'd like to have a nice lopey idle. His camaro is running a 224/230 on a 112LSA so it sounds wicked, I'd like to run a cam similar in size too.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:17 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

If you go with a turbo from PowerHouse you can have numbers like in my sig for $5495 that is an absolutely complete kit, no other mods are needed. And the customer service from PowerHouse is top notch while at KB it is about as bad as it gets considering the amount of money you are spending with them.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:52 PM
SweetGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TexStang06

Not Callin bs because I would love to see 330rwhp with cams and heads only....but somethin sounds a bit inflated....The way everyone talks, BBRacing sounds like they inflate alot of their numbers, and I hear (on these forums) that BBR has been having problems with their cars staying running. I mean like its been said a million times, the 3v is a new motor, and not much is out for it yet....maybe a heads and cam swap will do for us as it does for the ls1 guys. That'd be nice....correction, that would be great!! I can't wait till someone on here does a cam and head swap on the stock motor and verifies these numbers that have been floating around. If its true, I'd gladly buy cams and heads if I gain an honest 45-60hp to the wheels and stay n/a....gahhhh thinkin about it makes me excited....Anyways ttyl guys...
Cory
Well man if u dont believe it go to walmart or whatever pick up the mag(MM&FF). I would find it hard to believe that they would inflate the numbers, but to each his own.

As far as the heads and cam go I WILL go that route before anytype of FI, it will only help later on to build a horse power-powerhouse. Then i will probably buy a forged rotating assembly..but that is for another post.

Point being if u are looking for a even more effecient engine heads and cams would really help out.

And as far as the 4.6 3 valve cam-swaps ever given as much power as the LS1s and LS2(LS6 and LS7s) that will probably never really come close. Most of those engines have over 55 cubic inches more than the little 4.6s(281ci vs. LS1 346ci) in our cars, let alone the new 6.0L LS2s(i think are like 366ci) or any of their more than popular stroker combinations.

I think if u were to with heads&cams and that power house turbo kit u could make more power with a few less pounds of boost. Just going to throw that out there.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:54 PM
SweetGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1QuickShortBus

If you go with a turbo from PowerHouse you can have numbers like in my sig for $5495 that is an absolutely complete kit, no other mods are needed. And the customer service from PowerHouse is top notch while at KB it is about as bad as it gets considering the amount of money you are spending with them.
Could u give me the link to Powerhouse? thanks...Sorry about that i just found it, thanks anyways
Old 06-24-2006, 03:04 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: SweetGT
I think if u were to with heads&cams and that power house turbo kit u could make near 40% more power with 1# less PSI. Just going to throw that out there.
I highly doubt you could make 40% more power that would put me at almost 650rwhp which is almost 800bhp which is this 67mm turbo's rated maximum hp. Yes I would gain hp with a head and cam swap at 1psi less boost because it would still be flowing more air, afterall boost is a measure of restriction in the engine. But, it would not go up almost 200hp at the wheels.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:16 PM
SweetGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1QuickShortBus

ORIGINAL: SweetGT
I think if u were to with heads&cams and that power house turbo kit u could make near 40% more power with 1# less PSI. Just going to throw that out there.
I highly doubt you could make 40% more power that would put me at almost 650rwhp which is almost 800bhp which is this 67mm turbo's rated maximum hp. Yes I would gain hp with a head and cam swap at 1psi less boost because it would still be flowing more air, afterall boost is a measure of restriction in the engine. But, it would not go up almost 200hp at the wheels.
Sorry about being that literal with my numbers, I meant that with a more effecient motor (p&p heads and upgraded cams) that u could make alot more power with less boost. Givin u the opurtunity to turn the wick up later when u increase the boost.

I will edit what i said earlier(not trying to offend anyone)...

Quick Reply: Queston about 4.6L cam install