Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Queston about 4.6L cam install

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 09:21 AM
06 Roush Fan

Default Queston about 4.6L cam install

I was kind curious why none of the mustang owners go with a bigger cam? Is it not worth the money or make much of a difference with power? I just bought a 06 Roush mustang and would like to get that old school rumble with a nice sized cam. I've noticed the LS1 camaro guys seem to always do a head and cam install to make crazy HP numbers, just curious if it's possible with the 4.6L mustangs. Thanks
Old 06-22-2006, 09:43 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Queston about 4.6L cam install

Yes it's possible, the reason you don't see many S197's with cams is because the 3v motor is new and cams are just starting to come out. Also, it is a pretty big job on a mod motor and pricey ~$1100 for just the cams and valve springs. There isn't much data right now to say how much HP can be found with a set of cams.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:17 AM
olym4gery
1st Gear Member

Cost-benefit
Loss of drivability for a daily driver
Warranty issues
Spanish Oak tune issues
Old 06-22-2006, 11:27 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Cost-benefit - Cost is a big negative for cams in these cars.
Loss of drivability for a daily driver - Not true with a good tune.
Warranty issues - If you are looking at doing cams this is probably a minor issue.
Spanish Oak tune issues - A good tuner can tune a S197 with aftermarket cams.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:10 PM
WildRed
2nd Gear Member

+1
Cost-benefit - Cost is a big negative for cams in these cars.
Loss of drivability for a daily driver - Not true with a good tune.
Warranty issues - If you are looking at doing cams this is probably a minor issue.
Spanish Oak tune issues - A good tuner can tune a S197 with aftermarket cams.
ck out comp cams they have 4 grinds mild to wild
Old 06-22-2006, 01:26 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Crower also has cams available as does Blow By Racing
Old 06-22-2006, 01:45 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

They are out, but I haven't seen any good write ups comparing them. I'm sure they will be there soon..
Old 06-22-2006, 02:29 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06 Roush Fan

I was kind curious why none of the mustang owners go with a bigger cam? Is it not worth the money or make much of a difference with power? I just bought a 06 Roush mustang and would like to get that old school rumble with a nice sized cam. I've noticed the LS1 camaro guys seem to always do a head and cam install to make crazy HP numbers, just curious if it's possible with the 4.6L mustangs. Thanks
Perfect question for Chevykiller!
As was said previously, complicated and new engine design. I for one will be going with new cam's, not sure when but it will be the one that not only increases horsepower but gives me back my lopey idle, I gotta have it. I'm not driving a Lincoln, this is a Mustang and the last Mustang I had had an E-302 cam in it, not radical but very lopey!

If possible, I'll be going with a new cam, supercharger, additional fuel pump and bigger injectors, lower control arms and adjustable panard bar, wheels and a partridge in a pear tree.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:14 AM
06 Roush Fan

Wow, I didn't realize it was that expensive. I'm wanting that old school muscle car lopey idle as well, surely a bigger cam would make some impressive hp numbers on these motors. I mean stock just being a 4.6L they have tons of low end torque and a good powerband. I'd like to make power on up in the RPM's though, from about 3,000 to 6,000. Do these mustangs respond well to headers? This Roush has a really nice loud sound to it but I was thinking a good set of long tube headers with an X pipe would give me some more power. I bought this stage 1 to save money and to build to outrun a terminator, the supercharged Roush's were up in the same price as a C6 vette so I thought that was a little un-practical. I'm not made of money so my goal is to hit 400 RWHP with just bolt on's with a cam and tune. Is this possible? Thanks for the information
Old 06-23-2006, 09:27 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 06 Roush Fan

Wow, I didn't realize it was that expensive. I'm wanting that old school muscle car lopey idle as well, surely a bigger cam would make some impressive hp numbers on these motors. I mean stock just being a 4.6L they have tons of low end torque and a good powerband. I'd like to make power on up in the RPM's though, from about 3,000 to 6,000. Do these mustangs respond well to headers? This Roush has a really nice loud sound to it but I was thinking a good set of long tube headers with an X pipe would give me some more power. I bought this stage 1 to save money and to build to outrun a terminator, the supercharged Roush's were up in the same price as a C6 vette so I thought that was a little un-practical. I'm not made of money so my goal is to hit 400 RWHP with just bolt on's with a cam and tune. Is this possible? Thanks for the information
You keep using the word cam as a singular, remember SOHC motors have one cam per head, therefore your motor has 2 cams. This is one of the primary reasons cams are so expensive plus not as many people are doing cam swaps on any 4.6 therefore it costs the manufacturers more money per cam to produce.

You will be hard pressed to get 400rwhp N/A, at a minimum you will be looking at all of the standard bolt-ons, ported heads and big cams. No one has made that much hp N/A in one of these cars yet so it remains to be seen if it is possible.

Quick Reply: Queston about 4.6L cam install