Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

0-60 in 4.9?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 12:05 AM
cableguymicah
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 0-60 in 4.9?

I hit 4.7 with my saleen n/a and 20" tires before I got my s/c.........4.78 to be exact

Maybe it was the 3.73 gears that were in my car at the time compared to the 3.55 in a 06 gt
Old 06-23-2006, 12:14 AM
2006RedGT
2nd Gear Member

The 18's hook up that much better?
Old 06-23-2006, 12:47 AM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2006RedGT

We're talking a tenth of a second, like a blink of your eye.
Don't fret, the 17's are faster once rolling. The Pirelli's are 2 pounds lighter each
and the 17" wheels are also about 2-3 pounds lighter than the 18's Ford offers.

So though the 18" tires they use are a bit grippier for the launch, from
a roll, you'll pull a tenth or two back.
The OEM 18" wheels are also about a tenth of an inch taller, so it effectively
raises the final drive ratio as well.

Everything else being absolutely equal, from a rolling race of say 40-100 mph, I'd
bet the Mustang with the OEM 17" wheels/tires would pull a 1/2 to 3/4 car length on the car with
the stock OEM 18" wheels/tires.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:07 AM
mustangjoem

The only 18 inch wheels I have seen at a stealer were the polished rims with BFG comp t/a kdws, these are sweet tires. I have them on my RT Magnum hemi, what a difference. I perfer a car that goes 0-60 quicker, because around here most street races are only to 60-70mph.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:12 PM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

A stock auto wont get to 0-60 in 4. something.

With the mods I have, I have gotten a best of 5.17 (datalog info.)
Old 06-23-2006, 05:00 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Everything else being absolutely equal, from a rolling race of say 40-100 mph, I'd
bet the Mustang with the OEM 17" wheels/tires would pull a 1/2 to 3/4 car length on the car with
I think that is a huge stretch. As are your evo times. Most magazines ran 4.9-5.2 with evos. And once again, blink twice as fast as you can. That is close to .75 of a second.

I have seen mustangs run down in the high four second range.

And again, we are talking about MUSTANGS, NOT EVOS. I can name faster cars that do 0-60 faster, who gives a crap. The name of the post wasent "Fastest car 0-60 under 40 grand"

Maybe it was the one I drove, but the 17" GT stick car I drove had a bit of wheel hop and wouldent hook up for anything on the pirrellis. First to second was alot more than a chirp at 6200 with a little sideways hopping involved. Has really nothing to do with the fact that they are 18". It is the minor suspension changes I believe and better tires. Actually off the line, high profile tires tend to launch a car better all things being equal.

My car with the 18"s is much more planted and under most cicumstances hooks up very well with no bog. And the only thing stopping it from getting to 60 faster than a smidge under 5 seconds is wheelspin.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:49 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Driver72

ORIGINAL: 2006RedGT

We're talking a tenth of a second, like a blink of your eye.
Don't fret, the 17's are faster once rolling. The Pirelli's are 2 pounds lighter each
and the 17" wheels are also about 2-3 pounds lighter than the 18's Ford offers.

So though the 18" tires they use are a bit grippier for the launch, from
a roll, you'll pull a tenth or two back.
The OEM 18" wheels are also about a tenth of an inch taller, so it effectively
raises the final drive ratio as well.

I've raced 3 (2 '05's and 1'06) Mustang GT's with CAI and tune and all 3 were with 17 inchers, I walked all three and they claimed decent traction... my 18's ain't doin too shabby...
Old 06-23-2006, 08:02 PM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: classj

ORIGINAL: classj I think that is a huge stretch. As are your evo times. Most magazines ran 4.9-5.2 with evos. And once again, blink twice as fast as you can. That is close to .75 of a second.
No that's not a huge stretch, it's fact.
You have everything else equal in the two cars, but one has tires that have 2 pounds less rotational mass, and wheels with
3 pounds less rotational mass, not too mention the OD of the 17" wheels/tires are .1 inch shorter which effectively gives it a
slightly lower final drive ratio (better for acceleration) and in a run over 60 mph range (40-100mph) the car with the 17" wheels could very well pull
1/2 car length or more.
And as for the STI/EVO, I not only have raced in these cars, I had a Subaru Legacy GT that I had lightly modded and
the stock STI and EVO's would still jump out in front of me and I went to the drag strip many times with it and could launch my
Legacy GT better than guys in there Legacy GT's that had more power than mine. If anybody is familiar with AWD cars, these cars are easy to launch
and get mid to high 4 second range to 60, especially in the STI...it's easier to launch than the EVO.

ORIGINAL: classj
I have seen mustangs run down in the high four second range.
Stock?? So you disbelieve that the STI and EVO can do 0-60 in 4.5-4.7 seconds but you think
the heavier, RWD Mustang GT can get high 4's stock?

And again, we are talking about MUSTANGS, NOT EVOS. I can name faster cars that do 0-60 faster, who gives a crap. The name of the post wasent "Fastest car 0-60 under 40 grand"
Nobody said it was. I just posted in response to whomever said that a stock 05/06 GT is capable of 4.6 or so stock.
My point was simple...no way!! Since the stock STI/EVO do it in about that, if not a tenth better, and the STI/EVO will
easily get out of the gate faster than the stock 05/06 MGT stock for stock because of the traction advantage of the STI/EVO.

Maybe it was the one I drove, but the 17" GT stick car I drove had a bit of wheel hop and wouldent hook up for anything on the pirrellis. First to second was alot more than a chirp at 6200 with a little sideways hopping involved. Has really nothing to do with the fact that they are 18". It is the minor suspension changes I believe and better tires. Actually off the line, high profile tires tend to launch a car better all things being equal.

My car with the 18"s is much more planted and under most cicumstances hooks up very well with no bog. And the only thing stopping it from getting to 60 faster than a smidge under 5 seconds is wheelspin.
That was my point, the 18's are grippier than the stock 17" tires. The wheelhop might very well be quelled because of
the slightly suspension changes they make for the 18" wheels, but it might also be the fact that the 18" wheels and tires
weigh more so they may stay a bit more planted and not cause as much hop.
But without a doubt, extra weight in the rotational mass will mean slower acceleration once rolling. The engine has to
expend more energy to get the heavier weight rolling faster. The lighter, smaller 17" tires/wheels will allow
the car to accelerate ever so slightly faster. That's simple physics
Old 06-23-2006, 11:41 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

WTF.............. some rock,.......some roll, and...................some rockn'roll.

ANYTHING under 5.6 is rock, talk, roll, and.......... git'r done, all wrapped in ONE Pony.

Few, if any,........... for the $, come anywhere close.

JMO
Old 06-24-2006, 12:12 AM
classj
4th Gear Member

Regardless of what the mustang can do stock.

Remind me again, how does a mustang 0-60 times have ANYTHING to do with what a mitsu can do??? And why should I care if one was faster. This is like the third post where people are discussing mustangs and you make it a point to bring up that a mitsu can run 0-60 in 4.5 seconds.

Two cars mind you that share nothing, have no similarities, have two totally different drivetrains, make their power in totally different ways. Etc etc etc etc.

Again, it could run 11's and cost 10 grand. I wouldent want one. I dont think I would drive a riced out 4 door sedan if it was given to me. Just my taste.

The question was, is 4.9 to 60 plausable in a stock mustang. The answer is pretty much yes, but it would be one hell of a run at that.

I know what my car is and what it can and cant do. There are faster and slower cars out there, thats life. And the fact that a mitsu runs 0-60 in 0.3 seconds faster and the quarter .2 seconds faster means nothing to me. So it is a little faster, I am not impressed, and is a truly pointless addition to this post.

I dont know about you, but I have better things to worry about than 5lbs per corner, 10lbs I can see. The difference in performance is so small that I bet two mustang GT's driven by identical drivers would have more of a difference just due to build differences.

IN theory you may be correct. But in the real world these differences dont matter worth beans when you factor in all the other variables.

Quick Reply: 0-60 in 4.9?