Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Oil Scrapers

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 10:54 AM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Default Oil Scrapers

Is there one available for the 4.6 yet? I've read articles and seen programs (Horsepower TV, et al) that mention oil pan scrapers and how they amazingly free up nearly 40HP. They work by scraping the excess oil away from the crank. It certainly sounds like a wild gimmick, but I've seen and read it enough to start believing there just might be some truth to it. BTW, those HP claims are on basically stock engines.

What do you guys think, and where can I get one?
Old 06-23-2006, 10:59 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Oil Scrapers

They work, but I've never seen one for a 4.6. I don't think it's possible to do one with a mod motor due to the deep block skirts and how the main caps are completely above the oil pan. Normally a crank scraper is part of the oil pan.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:17 AM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, I know they're part of the oil pan. I just wasn't sure everyone would know what I was talking about if I had said "oil pan scraper." Somebody might think of something to literally scrape an oil pan!
Old 06-23-2006, 09:39 PM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: GT Premi

Is there one available for the 4.6 yet? I've read articles and seen programs (Horsepower TV, et al) that mention oil pan scrapers and how they amazingly free up nearly 40HP. They work by scraping the excess oil away from the crank. It certainly sounds like a wild gimmick, but I've seen and read it enough to start believing there just might be some truth to it. BTW, those HP claims are on basically stock engines.

What do you guys think, and where can I get one?
The only place where I have heard of them being used is in racecar engines. I know they use them in NASCAR, but they also use a drysump oiling system. They usually work very well on engines that turn a lot of rpm such as those in NASCAR (8000-10,000) What they do is catch the oil as it slings off of the crankshaft and prevent it from wrapping around the crank. At high rpm it will start to wrap around the crank and that is when you lose HP because the crank starts beating the oil like a wisk beats an egg.

Unless you're a hardcore racer with a very expensive built engine turning a lot of rpms, I doubt you'd get 40hp from one!

Best mods to get you HP are CAIs and good tunes that are built around 93 octane pump gas IMHO. Then if you're not happy with that, Saleen and Kenne Bell can fix ya right up!

Hope this helps.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:48 AM
WildRed
2nd Gear Member

+1
What they do is catch the oil as it slings off of the crankshaft and prevent it from wrapping around the crank. At high rpm it will start to wrap around the crank and that is when you lose HP because the crank starts beating the oil like a wisk beats an egg.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:30 AM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

There is a oil Windage tray I believe it's called that works very will with our engines. I hear the engine must be removed to install. That changed my idea about that.