Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Switch to Synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 06:48 PM
ncspack
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Switch to Synthetic

I'm not a tech guy, I just want to take the best care of my car that I can. I want to use whatever oil is proven to be the best. I asked the Ford master technician this question so I could ensure that I was doing everything I could to make my car last well into the 170k+ mileage range. He also told me NOT to believe anything I hear in a mustang forum, but I wouldn't be a member if I didn't believe that at least some of you guys actually know what you're talking about.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:12 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ncspack

I talked to a Ford master technician about this exact topic and he told me that if you switch to full synthetic with these new 3 valve engines then you are taking an unecessary chance on SERIOUSLY messing up your engine. He told me that it would be o.k. to switch to full synthetic at 15,000 miles, but the seals and other internal areas of the engine would be damaged if you changed any earlier. He also said he's has seen people bring their vehicles back with 50,000 miles or so and already be seriously messed up. I trust this guy and he's just trying to save me a big hassle later down the road.
someone has put 50,000 miles on a new Mustang already? I doubt it... thats a ton of driving. Even if they bought the earliest model to come out thats still 25k miles per year, thats crazy mileage on a brand new car.... if its back in the shop with internal problems its not because of the oil, its because someone was beating the **** out of for 2 years straight
Old 06-25-2006, 07:19 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ncspack

I'm not a tech guy, I just want to take the best care of my car that I can. I want to use whatever oil is proven to be the best. I asked the Ford master technician this question so I could ensure that I was doing everything I could to make my car last well into the 170k+ mileage range. He also told me NOT to believe anything I hear in a mustang forum, but I wouldn't be a member if I didn't believe that at least some of you guys actually know what you're talking about.
Ok the sky is blue, rain is wet and the clouds are white.

So did this Master Tech tell you which oil to run?? Hmm let me guess he told you to on;ly run Motorcraft oil.

Richard
Old 06-25-2006, 07:21 PM
bcc333
1st Gear Member

6 qts of oil 2005 4.6L V8 not 5 ???

Fluid Ford Part Name Application Capacity
Brake fluid Motorcraft High Performance All Between MIN and MAX lines
DOT 3 Motor on reservoir
Vehicle Brake
Fluid
Engine oil (includes filter change) 6 qts. Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil (US) Motorcraft SAE 4.6L V8 engine 6.0 quarts (5.7 L)
5W-20 Super Premium Motor
Oil (Canada)
Motorcraft SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil (US) Motorcraft SAE 4.0L V6 engine 5.0 quarts (4.7L)
5W-30 Super Premium Motor
Oil (Canada)
Engine coolant 1 Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant (yellow-colored) 4.0L V6 engine 12.5 quarts (11.8L)
4.6L V8 engine 13.6 quarts (12.9L)
Power steering fluid Motorcraft MERCON� ATF 4.0L V6 engine Fill to between MIN and MAX lines on reservoir
4.6L V8 engine
Rear axle lubricant 2 Motorcraft SAE 75W-140 Synthetic Rear Axle Lubricant 7.5 inch axle (V6) 3.25 pints (1.5L)
8.8 inch axle (V8) 4.25 pints (2.0L)
Fuel tank N/A All 16.0 gallons (60.6L)
Old 06-25-2006, 08:10 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

If you take it to the dealer, I'm they are told to put in 6.5 Qts.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:23 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

someone has put 50,000 miles on a new Mustang already? I doubt it... thats a ton of driving. Even if they bought the earliest model to come out thats still 25k miles per year, thats crazy mileage on a brand new car.... if its back in the shop with internal problems its not because of the oil, its because someone was beating the **** out of for 2 years straight
That's not too hard to believe.

A few years ago, I was driving about 36k miles per year. Mostly all highway miles, so it wasn't like the car was being beaten from stop & go driving.

Now I'm driving close to 25k per year total, but not on my Mustang.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:32 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

I put half a quart in the filter and 6 in the car. I changed my oil to full sythetic at 1k.

I run sythetic on all of my cars. Including my 65 mustang.

Me and my family have had great luck with sythetic. We have a 95 geo metro with 230K miles a Ford Aspire with 190K and a Ford Ranger with 180K all with no problems and with reasonably high compression still.

Old 06-25-2006, 08:38 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black GT

That's not too hard to believe.

A few years ago, I was driving about 36k miles per year. Mostly all highway miles, so it wasn't like the car was being beaten from stop & go driving.

Now I'm driving close to 25k per year total, but not on my Mustang.
ok so I exagerated a bit, but still this is not the type of car that you buy and then run that many miles up on it that short amount of time.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:38 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Riven you have a bad *** 65 dude. Awesome condition!
Old 06-25-2006, 08:52 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

ok so I exagerated a bit, but still this is not the type of car that you buy and then run that many miles up on it that short amount of time.
I agree, it isn't.

The only way I could see someone driving that many miles on a new Mustang is if its their only vehicle.

Quick Reply: Switch to Synthetic