Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Pro 5.0 Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 08:15 PM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

Default Pro 5.0 Shifter

I was flipping through some Mustang mag's and noticed that everyone of them have a huge Pro 5.0 shifter add for the 05-06GT. I am curious as to how this will help prevent missing gears. Also, my stock shifter is already pretty short - I think going any shorter would simply make it difficult as a daily driver. One question also, how difficult would this be and how long will this take to install in my driveway? This would be my very first shifter switch so I am not too familiar with it at all.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:12 AM
Maineiac
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Pro 5.0 Shifter

I installed a Pro 5.0 shifter on my GT about 2 months ago. It took me about 4 hours total while using a lift. It took this long because I'm not the most technically inclined person and the instructions that came with the shifter were very bad. Anyways, after installation, it was extremely difficult to get the car into 5th and Reverse. I figured it would take a little while to break it in. And finally one day 5th and Reverse was as smooth as any other gear. That's when I noticed it was hard moving the shifter left and right while braking. After taking it in to the dealership, the mechanic found that the bolt connecting the shifter to the transmission popped out and was grinding against the chassis. Well, they popped it back in and AGAIN it's hard to get into 5th and Reverse. Sorry, I'm going off on a tangent...

As a daily driver, I enjoy the Pro 5.0 shifter because it's smooth and slides into each gear without any unnecessary resistance. It seems to "click" into gear. In my case, the shifts are great until I want to get into 5th or Reverse. That's when I lean to the left to get my whole body into the shift to push the shifter to the right. I hate that (if you can't tell by now). I don't think my issue is very common, even though I've heard of a few others having this problem. I think it may be just a break-in period. Feeling the stock shifters on other 05's brings a smile to my face because the length of throw seems very long compared to mine. It almost seems too long. You will definitely get used to the feel of your new shifter. And I really do think you'll enjoy the smoother shifts and shorter throw.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:17 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

If your shifter is hard to get in to 5th and reverse it could be because you tightened the bolt that connects the shift rod to the shifter up too tight.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:31 AM
Maineiac
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman

If your shifter is hard to get in to 5th and reverse it could be because you tightened the bolt that connects the shift rod to the shifter up too tight.
Actually, it felt the same without that bolt even in the hole. I only tightened it until it stopped too. [:@]
Old 06-25-2006, 02:36 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Maineiac

Actually, it felt the same without that bolt even in the hole. I only tightened it until it stopped too. [:@]
OK... you are going to have to explain that one to me since the shifter won't even move the rod without the bolt being in the hole because it takes the bolt to connect the shift rod to the shifter. Without those two pieces being attached to each other, all you have is a shifter that will move in any direction.

Did you triple check to make sure that you got the offset correct on the two bronze bushings? The large bronze bushing should go toward the drivers side. The smaller one toward the passengers side.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:25 AM
Maineiac
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman

ORIGINAL: Maineiac

OK... you are going to have to explain that one to me since the shifter won't even move the rod without the bolt being in the hole because it takes the bolt to connect the shift rod to the shifter. Without those two pieces being attached to each other, all you have is a shifter that will move in any direction.

Did you triple check to make sure that you got the offset correct on the two bronze bushings? The large bronze bushing should go toward the drivers side. The smaller one toward the passengers side.
I meant it was doing the same thing from underneath the car. If you slip on the large bronze bushing onto the end of the arm, then insert the arm through the shifter bottom, and then slip on the small bronze bushing, you are able to move this assembly left and right from underneath the car (even without the bolt because these pieces pretty much hold themselves together). In my case, it would only move to the left and not the right. There's not enough leverage to move it to the right from underneath the car because you're just using your fingers. It felt the same when I inserted the bolt (wouldn't move to the right) and it translated into increased effort at the top of the shifter unit while shifting from the driver's seat. Definitely weird.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:31 AM
Maineiac
1st Gear Member

Oops. I meant to say that the shifter bottom moved easily to the right from underneath the car. It wouldn't move left (as if shifting into 5th or Reverse from the driver's seat).
Old 06-25-2006, 05:05 AM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

Ummmm, yeah..... That really makes me want to run out there and buy one today. I thought the point was to improve shifting. If I have to lean into it with all my body weight - then I think I will stick with the stock setup. Thanks though, you just saved me $250+
Old 06-25-2006, 10:17 AM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

Well, by the sound of it you're not aware that there are other choices for short throw shifters. From what I've read the average install usually takes about 30 minutes to an hour or so. I've had my Hurst short throw in for a few weeks now and I don't have to put any of the effort into it that's mentioned here. The throws are considerably shorter and I love the retro look of the white ball. Price is about $100 less than the competitors so IMO it's well worth it.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:36 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Well I don't know what to tell ya. Mine shifts effortlessly, and as BoidMorphs said, only took about 30 minutes to install. Have not had a minutes worth of trouble out of it. And I know a ton of people using the same shifter with no problems. But on the bright side, your one and only negative experience saved cryptic26djp $250. Sounds like he should buy you a beer.

Quick Reply: Pro 5.0 Shifter