Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Convertible Top - Vinyl vs Cloth??

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 10:42 PM
tuco

Default Convertible Top - Vinyl vs Cloth??

A newbie to this Forum but active on several other auto forums.

I have just placed an order for an '07 GT Vert, auto, vista blue, black leather, IUP, body side moldings, with the standard 17" wheels and std. Shaker 500, etc.

I am told that new for '07 is the choice of the standard vinyl convertible top or a cloth (fabric) top for a small additional charge. I have time to change the order to the cloth top.

Anyone have recommendations which one is superior in terms of durablity, fading and use? The car will be garaged and not winter driven. Summers here can be hot and dry.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-26-2006, 01:05 AM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Convertible Top - Vinyl vs Cloth??

Most higher class verts use cloth and the GT500 will have cloth so given a choice that's the way I'd go. It looks classier and should be more resilient and stable than vinyl. I have a vert and it's holding up fine but I garage it and won't use in the Winter either. Either vinyl or cloth can be protected but I just think the cloth should be much more flexible. If ever there was going to be a problem with my car it would be my burning the roof motor out from using it so much. I have the top down as much as possible. Given a choice though I'd go with the cloth any day over vinyl but that's me. There's a reason why it's standard on the GT500. When you pay that kind of money it's expected so why not add a little extra class to your GT? I didn't have a choice with my '06 but I still love it. How much is the difference for the cloth option?
Old 06-26-2006, 02:19 AM
tuco

I am in Western Canada and the pricing on the cloth top is only a little over $200 more. I'm thinking the cloth top is the way to go.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:31 AM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

My Volvo C70 had a cloth top. It looked great, but you had to be very careful with it. The top was a tan colore and it would get these permanent stains along the folds. Then it you tried to clean it with a stiff brush, you could see the cloth stating to frey a tiny bit. The cloth top would also wear a bit thin where the cloth was attached to the metal frame.

I had my top up and down several times a day also, as long as it was not raining and above 50 degrees.

The top on the GT seems to be more durable although it's not as luxurious.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:36 AM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

I wouldn't even consider anything but a black roofed vert anyway because lighter colors stain or show soil so easily. My understanding is the cloth is only available in black. It will be interesting years from now to see which one, cloth or vinyl, holds up better.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:45 PM
tuco

Thanks, guys, I have amended my order to the cloth top. Most of the info I found using searches of the net, indicates that the two wear about the same, depending on weather conditions and whether or not garage stored.

I guess we'll see....
Old 06-26-2006, 09:32 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

There was another thread recently on verts. Thought this might help as to their care. https://mustangforums.com/m_1485681/...tm.htm#1485681
Old 06-27-2006, 03:21 PM
tuco

Boid - thanks for the above link - it is usefull.