Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Newbie Wheel size question, tire size

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 01:20 AM
SWO4Life

Default Newbie Wheel size question, tire size

Hello all, I'm sure this will make a few guys chuckle - but after driving a stock wrangler for 10 years - and my moms Camry before that, I'm new to the considering performance. I bought a 2006 GT a week ago, and the car I had stocked over the internet actually had dealer installed 20 inch wheels which was a suprise to me when I got to the dealership. Anyway, I loved the way they looked, so I went ahead and bought it. :-)

When I got home, I started doing some research on 20 inch wheels on the new Mustang, and thats the first time I actually became aware of what tire specs meant etc - I went out to take a look at my tires - and lo and behold, I have 275/30/20 on the FRONT and 245/35/20 on the REAR.

Based on what I've read here and elsewhere, those wheels are in the wrong place? typically it would be 245/35/20 on the FRONT and 275/30/20 on the REAR -

am I right here? and is there any possible reason that the dealer would have installed them the way they came? or was it 100% a screw up?

Could it ever make sense to have wider wheels on the FRONT of GT?

appreciate the responses in advance - chuckle if you must, I don't mind, just looking for a def. answer so I can get my *** to the dealership tomorrow and have them switched
Old 06-27-2006, 01:37 AM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Newbie Wheel size question, tire size

ORIGINAL: SWO4Life

Hello all, I'm sure this will make a few guys chuckle - but after driving a stock wrangler for 10 years - and my moms Camry before that, I'm new to the considering performance. I bought a 2006 GT a week ago, and the car I had stocked over the internet actually had dealer installed 20 inch wheels which was a suprise to me when I got to the dealership. Anyway, I loved the way they looked, so I went ahead and bought it. :-)

When I got home, I started doing some research on 20 inch wheels on the new Mustang, and thats the first time I actually became aware of what tire specs meant etc - I went out to take a look at my tires - and lo and behold, I have 275/30/20 on the FRONT and 245/35/20 on the REAR.

Based on what I've read here and elsewhere, those wheels are in the wrong place? typically it would be 245/35/20 on the FRONT and 275/30/20 on the REAR -

am I right here? and is there any possible reason that the dealer would have installed them the way they came? or was it 100% a screw up?

Could it ever make sense to have wider wheels on the FRONT of GT?

appreciate the responses in advance - chuckle if you must, I don't mind, just looking for a def. answer so I can get my *** to the dealership tomorrow and have them switched
You are correct the dealer or who ever mounted the tires screwed up. The 275's should indeed be out back

Richard
Old 06-27-2006, 06:24 AM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

wow. how in the hell does someone screw it up that bad. get that fixed asap bro!
Old 06-27-2006, 06:49 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

And you might want to add;

Is this the type of quality control I will find each time I bring my car in for work here? Truly on todays cars, installing tires and wheels is about as simple as it gets! IMHO That is a HUGH mistake because of how simple a job it is, NOT because of the damage that could accure. (none) One other thing is most 20's that fit our cars are directional meaning there is an arrow on each tire showing rotation. Now if they did install them rotating backwards I would demand new tires! When they tell you that no damage has accure by driving them while rotating backwards. Remind them that thet are NOT a tire manufactuer they are a auto dealer. The tire maker put a arrow on them for a reason. (most likely tread design but how are we to know that is the ONLY reason? ASSUME!) At the very least get "IN WRITTING" they the dealer will assume ANY and ALL responsiblity for any defects and/or damage to the tire through out their normal rated life. Make sure it covers uneven wear, out of round, and any damage that may not be seen with out cutting the tire apart. Also include that the dealer shall be held competely responsible for any and all damages to your car and it occupants if the tire(s) are to believed to cause any damage due to not being installed properly when you picked up your car.
Good luck, 05SDI
Old 06-27-2006, 01:20 PM
SWO4Life

Thanks for all the replies. I took the car in this morning to the dealer. The service advisor had know idea really what I was talking about, so he got one of the senior mech's to talk to about it. He came back and said the mechanic said 'I habe no idea, I just know stock wheels, I guess we will just do what the customer wants'

Pretty scary. Especially since the DEALER installed these after market rims. I MIGHT understand if I took it to the dealership after some other shop put them on wrong and this dealer never installed custom wheels. Even then, a newbie like myself was able to educate myself in about an hour on the internet last night. (in part thanks to the replies to this thread).

Anyway, just picked it up from the dealer and thankfully had a break in the rain here, got it out on the highway and everything seemed nice and vibration free, good handling. All is well that ends well I suppose.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:24 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Also these are directional tires so also make sure they are on the proper sides.

Richard
Old 06-27-2006, 01:26 PM
SWO4Life

yep tread direction is all good, the Nitto's I have make it pretty easy, with a big 'RIGHT' on the rights, and a 'LEFT' on the lefts... the sad part was when i got to the dealership this was the first thing I checked because I had so little faith. But they actually got that right on the first try.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:19 PM
Black2007
1st Gear Member

Get to a professional...quick, you are dealing with a bunch of idiots. How in h_ _ _ would you ever trust them to do...say an oil change! That's about the dumbest thing I have ever heard of.

As for your side of the equation, I realize that at my advanced age, I probably have a lot more background ...but before you buy something...be knowledgeable about what you are buying. A walk around of the car at delivery should have picked this up. The obvious difference in tire width front to back would have stuck out like a sore thumb.

READ....READ... and READ some more and be an intelligent observer and ask questions...lots of questions...and when you get answers, verify them with others or your knowledge base from your research.