Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

major low RPM lag

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 04:39 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

Default major low RPM lag

i love my car, don't get me wrong. but below 2000 rpm specifically, i get NOTHING. the car lags like a mother, i punch it at anything under that and it doesnt do ANYTHING. slowly goes up to 2000 then makes its way to what feels like WOT. its incredibly frustrating, cause if i start off normally, (stick), then decide to punch it, my car's like "take a number" and takes its time to get there. its like its an electronic nanny, saying NO! DON"T FLOOR IT! i've driven cars with half the power that felt quicker in lower rpms (or at least didnt lag like this). my dads lexus LS430 just shoots off the line, no lag, and its 290 hp in a car with an extra thousand pounds and a lot less aggressive gearing.

my questions are: WHAT THE F.UCK IS UP? this is supposed to be an american musclecar, big displacement, insane low-end torque, smoke-em-from-idle, but i get nothing! is this a result of fords spanish fly AHHH i mean spanish oak processing, holding the throttle back? and, if so, will a tune help it?
Old 06-27-2006, 04:50 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

Default RE: major low RPM lag

That's a common problem for stock cars. I found that the Throttle body spacer helped a bit withe the throttle lag, but what helped the most was a CAI and tune. I went with the C&L and a predator. At the time, only the diable predator had a tune for the C&L but I understand that SCT has a tune now also, and there are tuners out there that can provide you with much better tunes with an SCT. Check out brent from Bamachips.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:25 PM
5StangsandCounting
1st Gear Member

With a tune and CAI you really wake up the mid and top end, but still suffer on the low end.. 4.10's help a little, but still don't expect anything until 2500rpms. I think this is just the nature of our beast..
Old 06-27-2006, 07:48 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

You are thinking old school big block torque monster. Unfortuantly, our mustangs are VERY small block, overhead cam, higher RPM cars. It has more of a european powerband IMO.

Also, you have to be in the right gear. You can bog even the best car with too high of a gear choice.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:01 PM
IA_Chiefs_fan
2nd Gear Member

I wonder if I'm just more easily impressed or I got a really good car. I have an Auto GT and it throws your head back against the headrest immediately. I've taken many people for a ride and I assure you that none of them were thinking, "Wow, that's really impressive... after 2500 RPMs." My car is stock except for a cat-back magnaflow, for only just a little longer.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:21 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

I asked this same question about a month ago, and everyone told me it was throttle lag from the drive by wire and a tuner will fix it. My tuners in the mail, so you can either take their word for it, or wait a few days and Ill let you know first hand. You have to remember our cars have an incredibly BAD tune. Everything is tuned for the average person to buy this car, its not tuned for people who want to **** their pants when they touch the gas. In my auto, even the shift rpms are incredibly low. I can be going 10 mph at 2k rpms and have it shift into second. Its stock tuned for good gas mileage and people who just want a nice looking car. Im hoping, and praying that the tuner unleashes the beast of a car that I know is deep down in there somewhere.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:23 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

its i understand the high RPM thing, but come on theres gotta be more to it than there is right now. the way it lags, mostly, is what bothers me. if i launch it, then yea, it snaps my head. but in 1st; if im under 2000 RPM, and i stomp on it, it doesn't rip n' snort the way it should. theres a definite discrepancy between the way it acts then and over 3k rpm.

can someone tell me all about a TB spacer?
Old 06-27-2006, 09:14 PM
TexStang06
2nd Gear Member

I agree with AmericanMuscle, as much as I love this car, it really has no torque (i guess) under 2000....launching it is fine, but who the hell launches their car all the time. I mean, I've never had anyone say man that things a dog until 2000 rpms....but it leaves some to be desired. I'm too wondering what will clear up this lack of torque,hp, or throttle response, or whatever it is......Hopefully we'll here back from bl1nkage soon.
Cory
Old 06-27-2006, 09:21 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

It is only one of a few possible scenereos here. Either the computer trying to open the throttle slowly to prevent lean conditions and true bogging

Or maybe something to due with the charge motion plates?? The whole idea of those plates urk me. But then again, so do electronic throttles.

Or maybe because it is an approx 3500 lb car being hauled around by a 280ci engine that has a little torque deficiency down low.

For a musclecar I agree it has a wierd powerband to me. But for a sports car it is very nice. Actually, the powerband on these cars is very similar in nature to the porsche flat 6 engines that are in the boxter and cayman. Pretty lifeless at below 2500, then they start to tug hard, then at around 4500-5000 the cam timing switches and all hell breaks loose and they keep pulling right to redline without too much let up.

Personally, I think it is a combination of both. But I swear that the throttles arent slamming open when I step in hard. When you drive an older musclecar with a properly set up double pumper. Put the car in first gear, get it to about 2000 rpm and punch the throttle the word instant throttle response really is the theme.

To me, with the traction control off, those throttle blades on the stang should follow my foot 1:1 instantly. I dont think they do.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:43 PM
5StangsandCounting
1st Gear Member

I'm thinking It's not so much a throttle lag, as it is just low power at low rpm. If you look at a graph from a Dyno, you can easily see that below 2000RPM there is well below 100 hp available.. (the attached dyno sheet is a pirated pic i found on the web just for a visual)

As for the Charge motion plates, their only goal is to help better mix air and fuel together at low rpm's, so they are in our favor. I read an article that dyno'd the delete plates, and they actually lost HP at low and mid Rpm's, and what little they found, was at the very high end of the Rpm range..

[IMG]local://upfiles/34739/60ABC325F7494C9E8CE8A957E6F5BBAD.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: major low RPM lag