Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

BAD@SS '06 GT COMBO?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 10:35 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: BAD@SS '06 GT COMBO?

I got my adjustable LCAs, p-bar, relocation brackets, FRPP kit and short throw, etc from Stangsuspension.com. They were great to work with and even added a few things that did not apear on thier website when I asked. They even have a military discount, (email them for details).
Old 07-01-2006, 10:49 AM
cableguymicah
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Herknav

The C+L Racer intake will work with the Saleen, as long as you put in the lower engine mounts as well. There are a lot of folks doing exactly that, (something I intend to do myself). The lower engine mounts will also take care of the firewall clearance that some Saleen buyers have had.

I agree about the 4.10s with a manual and a SC... you will be through 1st too quickly... there ARE folks with 4.10s, blowers, and Autos that swear by them, but then they don't have to worry about missing a shift.

If you are putting LCAs on and lowering the car, get some LCA relocation brackets as well. Also, new struts/shocks, (Tokio D specs, the FRPP kit, etc) since the sotckers are designed to work with the stock springs.

You may valid points with what this guy needs, but I have 4.10's with my s/c saleen and IMO i would not have anything else. with a little pratice the 4.10's are awesome, though you see the biggest difference in the n/a version. But it helps allot as long as you know how to drive
Old 07-01-2006, 01:25 PM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cableguymicah

The C+L Racer intake will work with the Saleen, as long as you put in the lower engine mounts as well. There are a lot of folks doing exactly that, (something I intend to do myself). The lower engine mounts will also take care of the firewall clearance that some Saleen buyers have had.

I agree about the 4.10s with a manual and a SC... you will be through 1st too quickly... there ARE folks with 4.10s, blowers, and Autos that swear by them, but then they don't have to worry about missing a shift.

If you are putting LCAs on and lowering the car, get some LCA relocation brackets as well. Also, new struts/shocks, (Tokio D specs, the FRPP kit, etc) since the sotckers are designed to work with the stock springs.

You may valid points with what this guy needs, but I have 4.10's with my s/c saleen and IMO i would not have anything else. with a little pratice the 4.10's are awesome, though you see the biggest difference in the n/a version. But it helps allot as long as you know how to drive
He said he wasn't going to be racing this car, and his wife would be driving it as well. In this case it seems like 3.73s would be a better option... or even staying with the stockers and putting that money into something else. I doubt he wants his wife to have to practice driving the car before he would feel comfortable with her in it without him.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:57 PM
jaiasmit
3rd Gear Member

I just intstalled the WMS intake and ram air box, and love it. I ordered directly from WMS. They currently have factory seconds on the air box that will save you about $70 bucks over Moss. Some of the holes are a little off center on the factory seconds, but I had absolutely no problems with them. Other than the holes off, the box is absolutely the same as the normal one, but about $40 bucks cheaper.

I'm also thinking about getting the Saleen SC (definitely given the current group buy your working on). I talked with Brent at Brenspeed today, and he was a little concerned about the intake clearing the hood with the SC installed. I currently have some minor rubbing between the filter and the hood insulation without the SC, so it may definitely need the lower engine mounts.

I definitely want to keep the ram air intake, then add the SC, and then maybe the functional ram air hood (although I'd like to keep it as a sleeper, so I may not). I read from a rep at WMS, that adding the functional hood really would not make much difference because the ram air box is currently pulling a lot of cold air from the grill.

Given all that I've read about the SC, I would definitely also add at least 39# injectors, and get the Xcalibrator from Brenspeed for the tune. I may even take mine there to do the installation and custom tuning since they're only 45 minutes from me.

**EDIT**

PS: if you want to see pictures of the WMS intake installed, you can click on the little camera icon on the left under my username. I posted pics of mine in the galleries.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:44 PM
cableguymicah
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cableguymicah

He said he wasn't going to be racing this car, and his wife would be driving it as well. In this case it seems like 3.73s would be a better option... or even staying with the stockers and putting that money into something else. I doubt he wants his wife to have to practice driving the car before he would feel comfortable with her in it without him.
\\

That very well may be true, and this isnt directed toward you but allot of people assume that 4.10's and s/c is a waste----I disagree.............

But your probaly right if his wife is driving the car (though there is no way in h*** my wife is driving my car.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:59 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jaiasmit

I just intstalled the WMS intake and ram air box, and love it. I ordered directly from WMS. They currently have factory seconds on the air box that will save you about $70 bucks over Moss. Some of the holes are a little off center on the factory seconds, but I had absolutely no problems with them. Other than the holes off, the box is absolutely the same as the normal one, but about $40 bucks cheaper.

I'm also thinking about getting the Saleen SC (definitely given the current group buy your working on). I talked with Brent at Brenspeed today, and he was a little concerned about the intake clearing the hood with the SC installed. I currently have some minor rubbing between the filter and the hood insulation without the SC, so it may definitely need the lower engine mounts.

I definitely want to keep the ram air intake, then add the SC, and then maybe the functional ram air hood (although I'd like to keep it as a sleeper, so I may not). I read from a rep at WMS, that adding the functional hood really would not make much difference because the ram air box is currently pulling a lot of cold air from the grill.

Given all that I've read about the SC, I would definitely also add at least 39# injectors, and get the Xcalibrator from Brenspeed for the tune. I may even take mine there to do the installation and custom tuning since they're only 45 minutes from me.

**EDIT**

PS: if you want to see pictures of the WMS intake installed, you can click on the little camera icon on the left under my username. I posted pics of mine in the galleries.

hey jaisasmit; I was looking into that ram air my self. I heard it suppose to get 25-30hp. I'm not sure if that flywheel or to the wheels. I was just woundering if you feel the dif and if you know how much hp you gained? o, and also if you dont need to reflash the comp?
Old 07-01-2006, 11:27 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

You will most def need a re-flash with the WMS inlet kit since you are dramatically altering the airflow throwing off the A/F ratio. Plus moving the MAF sensor will throw a fault code so you'll need a tuner to eliminate that issue.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:36 AM
jaiasmit
3rd Gear Member

Sorry to say Timmay, but not reflash needed. That is why I went with the WMS. It doesn't alter the A/F ratio at all. If you read the WMS site on it, they give you the details. Here's the link.

WMS High Velocity Intake

All that said, I would recommend getting a tuner, but only because you'll get more bang out of it with a better tune, but it's certainly not required. Brenspeed has a package that comes with the intake and an SCT Xcalibrator with a custom specifically for the WMS intake.

As far as HP, if you heard 25-30 gain, that's probably rwhp on a Dynojet. I don't believe that any testing has been done on an engine dyno, so the only numbers I've seen have been at the rear wheels, but WMS says the gain is around 19 rwhp and 15 rwtq, but as they note that is on a Mustang Dyno which usually yields lower numbers (10-12%) than a Dynojet. Mustang 5.0 mag did a comparo with several intakes and got a little better results with the WMS that WMS themselves. They say they got 23.4 HP gain, and 20.4 lb-ft tq gain. You can read the full comparo here.

Mustang 5.0 Mag - Intake Comparo Page 3

As for my opinion, I would say that I can definitely feel the difference. But, I also REALLY want to feel the difference, so I may be a little impartial. I am definitely going to get some dyno time soon with Brenspeed to improve the tune, and get some real numbers to go with my feelings. I'll be sure to post them up after I get it. It'll probably be a few weeks.

All in all, I say go for it. I definitely think it is a good investment that doesn't require a re-tune, although one would definitely help. I haven't re-flashed, and my car is running great. Good luck
Old 07-02-2006, 12:43 AM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

Interesting debates over the WMS, but can anyone answer my other question pertaining to the following:

Where do you recommend purchasing and what brand for the following items then:

Lowering springs
Adjustable pan-hard bar
LCA

Please continue with the comments and feedback on the WMS CAI. Thanks guys!
Old 07-02-2006, 02:56 AM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

Based on the way a Saleen SC is configured, this induction system will work with it.

BTW, my Saleen SC fit just fine with no hood clearance issues at all.

Thx,

Mike

Quick Reply: BAD@SS '06 GT COMBO?