Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Manual tranny hard into reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 04:49 AM
d_man777
1st Gear Member

Default Manual tranny hard into reverse?

Is anyone having a hard time getting their manual into reverse. If I try to go directly from neutral into reverse, it gives me a hard time. If I depress the clutch and shift into any forward gear and then into reverse, it seems fine. Should I be worried?

Thanks
Old 07-03-2006, 11:58 AM
peteypete

Default RE: Manual tranny hard into reverse?

I think there is some kind of electrical safeguard, where you have to keep it in neutral for 3 seconds and then it will allow you to shift in reverse. Check the owners manual but I am pretty sure this is what you are talking about.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:31 PM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

Everytime before I shift into reverse I let the clutch out in neutral and then push back in and go to reverse....make sure you're not still moving. That seems to help any problems with getting it into reverse. Kind of like double-clutching a truck.

Old 07-05-2006, 05:56 PM
d_man777
1st Gear Member

Usually, I have this problem when I first get into the car--backing out of the garage or a parking lot. So, no, I am definitely not moving. I usually put it it first when I park it, so when I get in I depress the clutch, kick it out of gear, and start the engine. Then, when I try to go directly to reverse, it's usually resistant. But if I go to a forward gear first then into reverse, it'll go right in.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:13 PM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

Ahhh. Well IMO it doesn't sound like it is something serious. I would probably give it a while and see if after more miles in loosens up. Otherwise you can always mention it to the dealership and see if they've heard anything or can do anything. Good luck!
Old 07-05-2006, 07:31 PM
jaiasmit
3rd Gear Member

I have the same problem with my 05 GT. Mine has 18,000 miles on it, and still same problem. I have been doing the same thing. I start it in the garage. Put it in neutral and let out the clutch while it idles down to 1,000. Then if I try to go straight into reverse (after depressing the clutch first of course) it fights me hard, but if I first shift to second or first gear and immediately back into reverse without letting out on the clutch it will go into reverse fine.

It seems to me that this is because something in the tranny is still spinning and won't let the reverse gear engage until you stop the spinning by putting it into another forward gear. I can definitely hear the tranny engage the gears when I shift into a forward gear even though I have the clutch fully depressed. There is definitely a sound (and feel) of the tranny catching like something was free-spinning, and then engages the gears and stops because the rear wheels are stopped.

Anyone else have this problem, and any known solutions out there?
Old 07-05-2006, 08:26 PM
Tmack
2nd Gear Member

The Tremec TR-3650 (which we have) is known for having this problem. It is the same 5-speed from the late fox bodies and they had the same problem. The best way to solve it is to do what you have done before, put it in 1st and go forward an inch then drop it in reverse and it should go in smoothly.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:36 PM
SonicStanGirl
2nd Gear Member

Also - the newer the car/tranny the harder the shifts seem to be. My tranny was tough before it broke in. It is much smoother now and I don't have many problems with reverse, just sometimes have to ease it in with more TLC than others.