Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

lauch technique: manual, BFGs, s/c

Old 08-06-2007, 11:41 AM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: lauch technique: manual, BFGs, s/c

ORIGINAL: Birdieman4

Pro tip: Stage it shallow for maximum rollout, and better 60' times.
what does stage it shallow mean, stop rolling as soon as you get the second set of yellow lights? What is rollout? Pardon my ignorance, but I'm trying to figure out a launch technique on my car also (sorry to thread-jack)...
Old 08-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Haze28
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: s197richie

what does stage it shallow mean, stop rolling as soon as you get the second set of yellow lights? What is rollout? Pardon my ignorance, but I'm trying to figure out a launch technique on my car also (sorry to thread-jack)...
I was wondering the same thing...
Old 08-06-2007, 04:02 PM
white07
4th Gear Member

im guessing shallow means like you said as soon as the lights come on. Roll out im guessing is the movement you have go forward without setting off the red light.

Im not sure and would like to know for sure.

Ive heard of people deep staging and staging and I dont know the diffrence there either.

Also didnt you say you have DRs? Do a little burnout to get them sticky.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:09 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

^^^ yeah I do the powerbrake first gear burnout (so much so that people came out of the stands to tell me that I don't need to spin them for THAT long lol), I think my biggest problem right now is figuring a tire psi, launch rpm and improving mygas pedaldown/clutch up technique as mentioned earlier in this thread. Yesterday was my first time ever with a MT car on DRs, not to mention my first time in the mustang and first time to the track in over five years. So at the line I was kind of trying this and that, no real strategy. I guess I was just happy to be there since we keep getting rained out...
Old 08-06-2007, 08:34 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

had to steal this from some dodge site but it does a pretty good job of explaining:

http://www.allpar.com/neon/racingneon.html

Old 08-06-2007, 09:18 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

how about your burnout.... are you heating up enough...? I recently asked the same in the street/strip section.. check it out...

https://mustangforums.com/m_3616549/mpage_2/tm.htm

about 4-5 posts down...
Old 08-06-2007, 09:56 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

honestly I just pulled the burnout out of my a$$, didn't pay attention to whether I started dry or in water, or whether I ended out of the box if I happenned to start in the water. I tried to go around the box as much as possible but never backed into it, just did a dry burnout. I guess I should go around, back in, and either start in the box and end out of it, or back in, get em wet, pull forward and do the whole burnout out of the box but with the rear tires still wet from backing in, correct?
also sometimes the car stayed straight during the burnout, other times it swung clockwise a bit, just like all s197s seem to do on street tires in first gear. Couldn't figure out why...maybe the dry burnouts swung the car and the wet ones kept it straight? Like I said I dove into it totally uneducated yesterday, and should be happy with my 1.8x and a bunch of 1.9x considering my lack of strategy and knowledge...but I'm hittin the track every chance I get from now on to get this car down into the 12s...
Old 08-06-2007, 10:17 PM
ModernMuscle
2nd Gear Member

on the bfg drags, back into the water, give a quick blip of the throttle, roll out about two feet, then burn then til you see some smoke, then give it 1-2 more seconds, let off and go to the line.
Feather the clutch out at the third yellow, and when it feels grippy, let go of the clutch.
BFGs have to be really heated up to be sticky...so heat em up!
i would say launch from the 3000, and feather, as you get better, you shoudl be up to about a 3500 launch on drs...
I launch at 5000-5500 on my mickeys tho
Old 08-06-2007, 10:26 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

^^^ mickeydrag radials or dot slicks?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:08 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Staging "shallow" just means stop as soon as the 2nd light comes on. The timer doesnt start until the front tire clears the beam so this gives you slightly more roll out before the timer starts.

Staging "deep" is just the opposite you pull as far forward as possible and break the beam earlier.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lauch technique: manual, BFGs, s/c