Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Bore the cylinders!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 03:37 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default Bore the cylinders!

Anyone done this yet? If so, results, costs, parts that have to be replaced etc? I would like some details.. interested in doing this in the future and would just like to check on whats out there now..Thanks!
Old 07-05-2006, 04:03 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Bore the cylinders!

I talked to Sean Hyland Motorsports and JDM about this. Apparently there isn't much "meat" in the stock cylinder walls, so you can't bore it very much in the traditional sense. However, you can get a bigger bore by boring out the block and then adding iron sleeves.

A few companies offer a "big bore stroker kit" with the sleeves and a new crank, the displacement comes out to 5.1 L.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:11 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

I talked to Sean Hyland Motorsports and JDM about this. Apparently there isn't much "meat" in the stock cylinder walls, so you can't bore it very much in the traditional sense. However, you can get a bigger bore by boring out the block and then adding iron sleeves.

A few companies offer a "big bore stroker kit" with the sleeves and a new crank, the displacement comes out to 5.1 L.
Did they happen to mention any prices.. along with what other parts you would have to replace in the process? cam shaft, crank, valves ?? I dont really know every little part that would have to be replaced just wondering what all there is.. I know the basic stuff like pistons but Im sure theres tons of other little stuff that has to be changed along with boring the cylinders.

Gotta learn sometime right?
Old 07-05-2006, 09:16 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Boring doesnt really do much for any engine. For example, most big block motors gain 11-12ci with a 0.060 overbore which is considered to be alot in most motors.

0.030" is considered standard if the engine needs to be bored out. Performance gains from 11ci arent much.

Stroking does increase displacment. But also changes the nature of the motor. I could go on for pages about that. But it is easier for you to do google searches on long vs. short stroke motors, rod ratios, bore/stroke ratio, Piston height, etc etc.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:23 PM
kss3valve
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: classj

Boring doesnt really do much for any engine. For example, most big block motors gain 11-12ci with a 0.060 overbore which is considered to be alot in most motors.

0.030" is considered standard if the engine needs to be bored out. Performance gains from 11ci arent much.

Stroking does increase displacment. But also changes the nature of the motor. I could go on for pages about that. But it is easier for you to do google searches on long vs. short stroke motors, rod ratios, bore/stroke ratio, Piston height, etc etc.

Boring actually does a lot for an engine if it is boosted especially. Stroking a motor increases torque, boring increases hp. Yes they are related and we could debate this for years on this site, which could be fun, but that is the rule of thumb. If you bore a boosted motor, it is great for hp.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:46 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Well, there is a difference between a boring job for a simple rebuild (like the 0.030" you mentioned) and a major rebore. 30 thou isn't going to give you much. But, some engines can be bored much, much, more than that...
Old 07-06-2006, 01:35 AM
classj
4th Gear Member

True, but usually those are aftermarket siamese jacket blocks.

Personally, on most of the engines I have built, I like to keep to no longer than about a 3.75" stroke and a nice big bore. This seems to make for a very rev happy motor when paired with a nice light forged piston.

Stroking a motor increases torque, boring increases hp. Yes they are related and we could debate this for years on this site, which could be fun, but that is the rule of thumb.
True, but dont forget that HP is derived from directly from torque. So in actuallity, long stroke motors have more low end torque, while big bore motors have more high RPM torque.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:51 AM
kss3valve
1st Gear Member

True, but usually those are aftermarket siamese jacket blocks.

Personally, on most of the engines I have built, I like to keep to no longer than about a 3.75" stroke and a nice big bore. This seems to make for a very rev happy motor when paired with a nice light forged piston.

+1

Stroking a motor increases torque, boring increases hp. Yes they are related and we could debate this for years on this site, which could be fun, but that is the rule of thumb.
True, but dont forget that HP is derived from directly from torque. So in actuallity, long stroke motors have more low end torque, while big bore motors have more high RPM torque.
I agree, that is why I said that they are related! If you keep the stroke down and keep the motor basically sqare with a good sized bore you can rev the crap out of it and make power!

You guys gotta remember I work on Porsche 997 cup cars for a living! (along with mustangs) We rev them to 10k and make 400 to the wheels out of a flat six. I love high compression high revving n/a stuff............ puts a smile on my face!