Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Does CAI make car louder?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 06:31 AM
sdwndr
1st Gear Member

Default Does CAI make car louder?

I have read some posts about a CAI changing the sound of the exhaust.

People have said it makes it sound better, deeper, with more of a growl. But does it actually make it louder, volume wise, as well? And does it increase the drone in the car as a result?

My Bassani's are about as loud and have about as much drone as I am willing to put up with, I just want to make sure this CAI won't put it over the top...
Old 06-18-2006, 06:56 AM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Does CAI make car louder?

An intake probably wont change the sound of your bassani enough for you to put it over the top. The intake does have its own sound to it and changes exhaust sound very slightly, but your hp will change greatly with a tune. ; )
Old 06-18-2006, 06:58 AM
undefeated
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sdwndr

I have read some posts about a CAI changing the sound of the exhaust.

People have said it makes it sound better, deeper, with more of a growl. But does it actually make it louder, volume wise, as well? And does it increase the drone in the car as a result?

My Bassani's are about as loud and have about as much drone as I am willing to put up with, I just want to make sure this CAI won't put it over the top...
Well, I know that different intakes sound different. I had a Mac Cold air intake and it made my stang sound louder, but I didn't like the set up. I have C&L now and it's quieter, but it makes a sucking noise when I punch it. It's not as loud as the Mac was.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:28 AM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

does a CAI increase and improve the exhaust note under WOT? HELLLLLLLLLLLL YEESSSSSSSSSS it does
Old 06-18-2006, 12:58 PM
bushbanger
2nd Gear Member

I sure hope so ...my jlt/sct will be here from brenspeed tue
Old 06-18-2006, 01:54 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

It'll sound cool. I hadn't noticed any change exhaust tone but the motor sounds meaner when you stomp on it. Only time I ever here any sucking noise is on aggresive upshifts. Def a must have item.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:10 PM
Scott P
2nd Gear Member

An intake doesn't affect exhaust note. The engine sounds different because the stock system is designed to muffle engine sounds. The noise is coming from the intake, not the exhaust.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:58 PM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

IMO you won't notice a lot with YOUR exhaust ...

JMO

BTW: I have a C&L CAI and I love it ... best bang for the buck as far as CAI's .. but you MUST have a dyno " tune " to take FULL advantage of it...

again JMO

Rex
Old 06-19-2006, 10:13 AM
Stooge
2nd Gear Member

With a new intake, the resonance frequency between the intake and exhaust changes, and thus your exhaust note can be marketly different. Ford has tuned both substantually to get real "quiet" at cruising speed and to get the V8 rumble when you give it some throttle. Changing any side will change the sound and "when it comes on the pipe."
Old 06-19-2006, 05:44 PM
CDW63
2nd Gear Member

Sdwndr,

The sound of the car was changed by adding the CAI in a positive way, it sounds meaner wot, it tightened the rpm range where you hear a drone from the axlebacks (overall less drone ). I was told this affect is caused by the airflow balance between intake/exhaust being changed. All I know is that I like the CAI/axleback combo better than just the axlebacks by themselves.

Quick Reply: Does CAI make car louder?