Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Rear end / rear axle weaknesses on S197 GTs

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 06:56 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default Rear end / rear axle weaknesses on S197 GTs

Hey, I was hoping to get some feedback from you guys with blown/turbo/nitrous cars and the serious track guys:

I understand that the stock 8.8" rear end in the new 'stangs is pretty good, though at some point I've heard of parts breaking. What exactly is the weak link? If I remember correctly, it is the posi unit. Is that correct? What is the common upgrade replacement? Eaton? Aubrun? How are the axle shafts? Any need for upgrade there?

At what point is there a need to step up to something more serious, like a built 9" rear end?

Later this year I will be building up my car (blower) and I want to be putting down an honest 500 to the wheels. I want to make sure my rear end can handle that, so I'm doing my planning now...
Old 07-05-2006, 07:14 PM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Rear end / rear axle weaknesses on S197 GTs

From where you want to be the 8.8 is going to be just fine. Several shops have ran over 550 hp for some time and the only problem I have every heard of is the differential. The eaton and auborn both suck and the one of choice seems to be the tru trac. Many guys who are pushing 700 hp + are using 8.8 and just upgrading the axels to the mosers or doing 9" ends with c-clip eliminators. I don't see a problem with the stock rear end at 550 hp IMO. This is just what I have heard/read as I am certainly no expert but I have been doing a lot of research as I have been building my car and this is what I'm being told by those in the know.

Guys I have asked about it:

Jim Jr. at JDM
Mike from Powerhouse
Doug from CHE performance
Mark (chevykiller)
Adam from St Motorsports
Justin from JPC

I trust what these guys have to say.

Old 07-05-2006, 09:36 PM
cableguymicah
3rd Gear Member

You want 500rwhp worry about upgradeing the intrenals more than the rear end
Old 07-05-2006, 09:56 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cableguymicah

Of course! I'm going with a completely forged reciprocating assembly. I've already got that figured out. But here I'm asking about the rear end....

Anyway, I'm thinking I'm going to stick with the stock rear end, just upgrade to the truetrac and be done with it.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:30 PM
kss3valve
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

ORIGINAL: cableguymicah

Of course! I'm going with a completely forged reciprocating assembly. I've already got that figured out. But here I'm asking about the rear end....

Anyway, I'm thinking I'm going to stick with the stock rear end, just upgrade to the truetrac and be done with it.

Here's what I think: Run it till it breaks and that is the limit! Rear ends are cheap and easy to do........ That would be the least of my worries in your case.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:51 PM
mauiboy
2nd Gear Member

Well CrazyAl,

I broke my limited slip at the track last week and caught it on video.
While in the box roasting my slicks my left rear tire stoped spinning. I bought the Auburn Pro Series as recomended by my speed shop. I believe there good up to 700 hp, and I don't plan on going over 600hp.
Also reguardless of what people say about Eaton and Auburn, if you pay to get it installed its called a warranty plus as a daily driver I only do quaters for fun.....

Here's a link to a run just prior to it breaking it.

http://mauiboy.horsmen.com/carl2_22jun2006.wmv

The driverside rear stops spinning and you can hear it too...

Mauiboy

[IMG]local://upfiles/16389/305438EF342E4EB6A87C3B59BEFAEE40.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-05-2006, 11:09 PM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: mauiboy

Well CrazyAl,

I broke my limited slip at the track last week and caught it on video.
While in the box roasting my slicks my left rear tire stoped spinning. I bought the Auburn Pro Series as recomended by my speed shop. I believe there good up to 700 hp, and I don't plan on going over 600hp.
Also reguardless of what people say about Eaton and Auburn, if you pay to get it installed its called a warranty plus as a daily driver I only do quaters for fun.....

Here's a link to a run just prior to it breaking it.

http://mauiboy.horsmen.com/carl2_22jun2006.wmv

The driverside rear stops spinning and you can hear it too...

Mauiboy

[IMG]local://upfiles/16389/305438EF342E4EB6A87C3B59BEFAEE40.jpg[/IMG]
On other forums there are threads about this and the concensus was the auborn and eaton weren't good for our cars. The tru-trac seems to be the choice. But good luck and keep us posted how it works out.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:42 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I've heard the "run it until something breaks" school of thought before, but I'm not too inclined to do that.

In a little while I'm going to have my rear end torn apart for a gear change anyway. I won't be doing the blower or the engine work for a few months at least, but I figure while they're in there working on the gears they might as well install the new posi at the same time, that way I'm not going to be paying for the labor twice.

I'm glad to hear the rest of it is good though! If I'm feeling flush I might upgrade the axle shafts at the same time, but I'm thinking I'll just stick with the posi and that's it.

Oh, I heard that someone makes a low-profile "girdle" cover for the 8.8 rear, which will clear the factory panhard bar. Anyone know who makes those? It sounds like cheap insurance.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:58 PM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

Yeah, I've heard the "run it until something breaks" school of thought before, but I'm not too inclined to do that.

In a little while I'm going to have my rear end torn apart for a gear change anyway. I won't be doing the blower or the engine work for a few months at least, but I figure while they're in there working on the gears they might as well install the new posi at the same time, that way I'm not going to be paying for the labor twice.

I'm glad to hear the rest of it is good though! If I'm feeling flush I might upgrade the axle shafts at the same time, but I'm thinking I'll just stick with the posi and that's it.

Oh, I heard that someone makes a low-profile "girdle" cover for the 8.8 rear, which will clear the factory panhard bar. Anyone know who makes those? It sounds like cheap insurance.
A couple people make the girdle and the moser is really nice. (I have seen it on a car) I also agree with you on the school of thought. I am more inclined to follow the school of thought that says 'BUILD IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!'
Old 07-06-2006, 10:37 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blowngt

A couple people make the girdle and the moser is really nice. (I have seen it on a car) I also agree with you on the school of thought. I am more inclined to follow the school of thought that says 'BUILD IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!'
Darn right!

Oh, and thanks. I did some more detailed looking and I saw the Moser girdle. Looks nice. Do you know if it will clear the panhard bar? TA Performance has a low-profile version too. I think I'm going to go with that one.

http://www.taperformance.com/rearend.htm

..TA actually makes the covers for the Ford SVO line...

http://www.taperformance.com/tagirdle.htm

Quick Reply: Rear end / rear axle weaknesses on S197 GTs