Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Just got a Pro 50 shifter for a 05 GT

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 01:25 AM
05 Ricky
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Just got a Pro 50 shifter for a 05 GT

Yea I checked the bushings and the linkage several times. They are all correct, I have even tried moving the position of the back of the shifter around thinking it would center it a bit better but ended up with the same results. My wife had to drive it today and she couldn't get it in reverse and she wasn't to happy. It is only hard when shifting to the right. Nothing is binding up at all, it's a shifter for someone who doesn't like 5th or reverse.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:33 AM
Maineiac
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MacGyverGTP

I had the same issue with it not centered, I unscrewed the 2 bolts holding the shift handle to the main unit & flipped it over to the other side. Centered it perfectly. In fact, for the week I had it wrong, it ruined the fake leather by rubbing. I guess mine still hasn't broken in yet. I have a tough time getting it into 5th gear, reverse I suppose I expect to be difficult.

I don't think it's all that it's cracked up to be. A little shorter throw, but I still grind into second every time I powershift. It really ticks me off. I know I am destroying my tranny a little each time I try it.
I never miss 3rd, but I never missed it when it was stock either.

I heard if I change the engine & tranny mounts, it makes it better so I may be doing that shortly.

I love powershifting & I'd say 6 times out of 10 it grinds, I slam it hard too. It's like nails on a chalkboard when the synchros don't synch!

Oh well... if it breaks I'll just get the Cobra 6 speed tranny! haha

I did think about doing that, but I actually switched my fake leather boot with a real leather boot after the fake one got tore up. And after putting on a Roush ****, which is thinner and sits higher, I don't get anymore rubbing on the left side of the boot. So, the off-center thing is not an issue anymore when it comes to tearing up shift boots. My real question was if the shifter lever should be off-center in the first place. It's the only thing I can think of that would be making it harder for me to shift into 5th and Reverse. When you think about it, moving the shift lever to the right (in car) will push the transmission linkage to the left (under car). If the whole shifter unit is already about 1/2 inch to the left, wouldn't that make it hard to push the transmission linkage even further to the left when going into 5th and Reverse? Let's say it takes an inch of travel sideways to push the tranny into 5th or Reverse. If the shifter is already sitting 1/2 inch in that direction, then you are trying to push it 1 and 1/2 inches over, thereby forcing the linkage to bend that much more! Sigh. This sounds like a stupid theory. But it's the best explanation I can think of because I know I installed this dang thing correctly!

Oh, and about those 1st to 2nd gear woes you are having. I am too! Recently, it's been giving me problems, but I think it's mostly because I sprained my left ankle (not as quick). Sometimes it doesn't feel as smooth as shifting into other gears, which is usually very smooth!

I still love the Pro 5.0! It's a love-hate kind of thing. I won't give up on it anytime soon. I have this feeling someday it'll decide to make every one of my shifts equally as smooth!
Old 07-07-2006, 10:58 AM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: andyman

ORIGINAL: MusiccityGT

ORIGINAL: hawgman

My only advice would be to make sure that you have the bushings positioned correctly so that the offset on the bottom of the shifter is facing the correct direction, and double check that you don't have the shift rod mounted to the wrong side of the shifter arm.

Personally, I love my Pro 5.0 shifter. Absolutely the best shifter I have ever owned.
+1. It is awesome! The 5th to R was a little stiff at first, but not since some time has passed. It will ease up.
LOL when have you ever gone from 5th gear to reverse
LOL..... Edit: 5th or reverse! You mean you have never shoved it in reverse at 140 mph?? Nice catch Andyman.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:57 PM
MacGyverGTP
2nd Gear Member

I wasn't joking Hawgman, but you are correct. I have not seen the 10k price for a TR6060!!! OUCH! I am going to quit powershifting at all then! That's insane for a Manual transmission!

But just wanted to let anyone know that if they think changing the shifter in our cars is going to help them not grinding into 2nd, they are mistaken. also, I am 100% positive that I have the clutch all the way in when I do it too. My old T5 would do it flawlessly in my 90GT

Would love to hear anyones solution to this problem!
Old 07-07-2006, 05:29 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

I wasn't joking Hawgman, but you are correct. I have not seen the 10k price for a TR6060!!! OUCH! I am going to quit powershifting at all then! That's insane for a Manual transmission!
No kidding! Especially considering you can get the beefed up Viper conversion for about $6k.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:29 PM
05 Ricky
2nd Gear Member

I have never had any grinding problems yet and I been powershifting it alot latley. I like the stock tranny, hate the shifter. In these timing is everything especially when the car torques over and the shifter is bolted to the body of the car.[sm=badidea.gif]
Old 07-07-2006, 08:43 PM
MacGyverGTP
2nd Gear Member

Went out & played with my new G-tech today... Was not powershifting but staying pretty quick nonetheless. 13.497@105.12 & a 13.555@106.61 Had a passenger on both runs. Wonder how close to the track these times are. I would guess pretty close. 4.92 0-60 on stock tires. Can't wait to burn them up & get some DRadials & LCA's & 3.90's or 4.10's

Funny thing, I didn't grind once today! Guess I am just a lot more aware of it now.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:44 PM
05HOTROD
2nd Gear Member

I ordered an after market shift **** www.mgwltd.com with a set screw on the side and did not screw it all the way down on the shifter handle thus giving me more leverage making it easier to shift. It is day and night with it screwed in about 5-7 turns versus all the way down which gives you no leverage. I know your kinda defeating the purpose and actually making the throw a little longer by doing this, but it really makes it easier to shift and you still get that click click smooth shifting.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:38 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Along that same line of thought, one of these days I am going to get off my lazy *** and install my Saleen short throw adaptor on to my Pro 5.0 shifter just to see how it feels. May hate it instantly and rip it right back off, but gotta do it just to say I did.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:07 PM
05yellowgt

ORIGINAL: hawgman

No kidding! Especially considering you can get the beefed up Viper conversion for about $6k.
The conversion kit itself costs $5k. A new clutch pressure plate and flywheel will run your $600-$800 depending on which flavor you chose. It was hands down the best mod I have done to the car so far. You get a BULLETPROOF trans, one piece aluminum driveshaft, new crossmember and everything you need to do the swap besides the clutch. The 0.50 6th gear also ensures great gas mileage. I get a true 28mpg @70mph with 4.30 gears!!! If you are serious about upgrading your manual tranny this is the only way to go IMO.

Quick Reply: Just got a Pro 50 shifter for a 05 GT