Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Supercharger Dilema

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 11:24 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Supercharger Dilema

ORIGINAL: HaneyMotorsport.Com
Hello Kevin,

Ok I haven't heard of them, but of course I will take your word on that. I can see where you are coming from. But...of course there has to be a but, 16psi is a lot of boost period. 90% + of s/c buyers are not going to be running that amount or looking at making BIG HP numbers anyway. How much psi can / did they make before having an over heated air condition? Anyhow, I appreciate you enlightenment on the subject.

Casey
Casey,

I agree with you 100%, most people will never look at making that much HP. That is why I said if he ever wanted to build a motor and go for over 500rwhp then the KB is the way to go. I think 14psi is about the max for the Saleen to remain reasonably efficent and that would be border line for the street without pulling a lot of timing. The intercooler is just too small, that is the single biggest problem with the Saleen when it comes to making big hp.

Kevin
Old 07-06-2006, 11:27 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

OK, so I am NOT going to make this an argument, I don,t think it is A Lot more potential....Surely more, but...... At this point, I am closing up and going home to have a beer and see the fam. Thank you again Kevin. Have a great weekend!

Casey
Old 07-06-2006, 11:36 PM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Out of curiosity, does the Saleen unit use an air-to-air or an air-to-water type intercooler. If it's an air to air type, then the fix would be to buy a bigger front mount style that could accomadate the extra boost.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:41 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

There is no way to use an air-to-air intercooler with a twin screw or roots s/c.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:46 AM
MacGyverGTP
2nd Gear Member

I have a KB & am less than impressed with the power & the 3 months it took to receive. I have about 403hp with 156* Inlet Air Temp out here in Phoenix AZ 1500'ASL. So heat KILLLLLLS power.
The quality of the unit is beautiful, the install flawless, no errors, canned tune seems conservative but that's cool with me. We only have 91 octane gas & 112*+ temperatures here anyway. My mechanic has a NOVI on his & put down considerable more power over 460hp on a damn hot day too, but he was able to modify his tune & he's a lot less conservative.
Have not raced him yet, but I know he'd kill me!

I think I am the only one on here with a KB that was expecting more than I got. So my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt. I certainly expected more for the price!
Old 07-07-2006, 12:53 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Can you post a dyno graph? At what RPM was 403hp reached. Of course heat kills power, it does in every internal combustion engine. If you don't want to have as safe a tune you could always have a custom tune done, that is what your mechanic has.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:01 AM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1QuickShortBus

There is no way to use an air-to-air intercooler with a twin screw or roots s/c.
There is on a procharger 3 core air to air front mount and can run to 25 psi ... its not very efficiant but will give the highest hp numbers with the stock unit and best bang for the buck.