Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

05 GT Auto...Changing Tranny Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 08:29 PM
Newbreedgt05
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 05 GT Auto...Changing Tranny Fluid

Draining the fluid is as simple as just removing the large plug and letting it drain (with car in neutral) Filling it back up is the tricky part. You have to fill it up using the small plug in the center of the larger drain plug. Once the inner plug is removed, a special fill plug must then be inserted into the hole. A fluid injector is then hooked up to the fill plug (basically just a canister with two hoses coming out of it. One to attach to the fill plug and the other to attach to an air nozzle). Then apply a maximum of 30 psi into the hose making the fluid rise into the fill plug. Add 2 or 3 quarts of the recommended fluid into the trans. Start the car and let it idle at aproximately 650 rpm and the trans fluid temp is between 80-120 F. Inspect the fluid level with the cannister. If the fluid drains back out, then it is full. If it doesn't, then more needs to be added.

It isn't that hard if you have the right tools. If you don't, then it might be cheaper to have the dealer do it with an automatic machine.

Rich
Old 07-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Gar4pt6
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Newbreedgt05

Draining the fluid is as simple as just removing the large plug and letting it drain (with car in neutral) Filling it back up is the tricky part. You have to fill it up using the small plug in the center of the larger drain plug. Once the inner plug is removed, a special fill plug must then be inserted into the hole. A fluid injector is then hooked up to the fill plug (basically just a canister with two hoses coming out of it. One to attach to the fill plug and the other to attach to an air nozzle). Then apply a maximum of 30 psi into the hose making the fluid rise into the fill plug. Add 2 or 3 quarts of the recommended fluid into the trans. Start the car and let it idle at aproximately 650 rpm and the trans fluid temp is between 80-120 F. Inspect the fluid level with the cannister. If the fluid drains back out, then it is full. If it doesn't, then more needs to be added.

It isn't that hard if you have the right tools. If you don't, then it might be cheaper to have the dealer do it with an automatic machine.

Rich

we have the tools and thanks a lot for looking that up for me rich...i owe ya one

garrett
Old 07-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Newbreedgt05
3rd Gear Member

I forgot to add that you can use a hand vacuum pump to attach to the hose that was used for air. This will allow you to pull out any extra fluid that was trapped in the system into the container.

Rich
Old 07-08-2006, 09:42 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VampireStang

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

LOL... for a second I thought it said Changing Fluid GT MANUAL.. My mistake though, I just glanced at it..

heh, we pulled that trick on a friend of ours.. looked under her hood and told her to take it to a shop and have them replace her transmission fluid (she had a manual toyota tacoma truck). Funny thing is she actually did it and said that stood there for about 30 mins trying to explain to the shop guy that she needed her tranny fluid switched out lol...

are you trying to say that you cant change out manual fluid or something because you can...if you want a more quality oil in there or something
... Manuals dont have transmission fluid...
Old 07-08-2006, 10:50 PM
Gar4pt6
4th Gear Member

LOL... for a second I thought it said Changing Fluid GT MANUAL.. My mistake though, I just glanced at it..

heh, we pulled that trick on a friend of ours.. looked under her hood and told her to take it to a shop and have them replace her transmission fluid (she had a manual toyota tacoma truck). Funny thing is she actually did it and said that stood there for about 30 mins trying to explain to the shop guy that she needed her tranny fluid switched out lol...

are you trying to say that you cant change out manual fluid or something because you can...if you want a more quality oil in there or something
you dont know what you are talking about...years ago manuals had transmission grease...nowadays cars like mine use ATF (automatic transmission fluid) and i know that this is true because I just drained it out of my 03 5 spd.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:09 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

you dont know what you are talking about...years ago manuals had transmission grease...nowadays cars like mine use ATF (automatic transmission fluid) and i know that this is true because I just drained it out of my 03 5 spd.
Perhaps you should read up on manual transmissions some. Manual transmissions DO NOT have TRANSMISSION FLUID. They have gear oil. There is a HUGE difference. So before you go telling me I dont know what Im talking about maybe you should learn wtf you are talking about. I never said auto transmissions didnt have fluid, maybe you should go back and READ wtf I said before you go running your mouth calling me stupid.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:14 AM
Gar4pt6
4th Gear Member

Perhaps you should read up on manual transmissions some. Manual transmissions DO NOT have TRANSMISSION FLUID. They have gear oil. There is a HUGE difference. So before you go telling me I dont know what Im talking about maybe you should learn wtf you are talking about. I never said auto transmissions didnt have fluid, maybe you should go back and READ wtf I said before you go running your mouth calling me stupid. *******.
listen i have an 03 gt with a MANUAL TRANSMISSION...it takes ATF which is TRANSMISSION FLUID (hints the TF in ATF) . But yes some do use gear oil. read this its Royal Purple Synchromax "MANUAL TRANSMISSION FLUID" ... i hate it when people think that they are right when they arent. http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/scmax.html
Old 07-09-2006, 03:15 AM
Gar4pt6
4th Gear Member

can anyone else help me out with this dumbass???
Old 07-09-2006, 04:21 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Here ya go, you obviously need this more than me http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_transmission

If you read it you can find this quote

"Manual transmissions are lubricated with gear oil, which must be changed periodically in some cars, although not as frequently as the automatic transmission fluid in a vehicle so equipped. (Some manufacturers specify that changing the gear oil is never necessary except after transmission work or to rectify a leak.)"

Old 07-09-2006, 05:03 PM
Gar4pt6
4th Gear Member

Here ya go, you obviously need this more than me http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_transmission

If you read it you can find this quote

"Manual transmissions are lubricated with gear oil, which must be changed periodically in some cars, although not as frequently as the automatic transmission fluid in a vehicle so equipped. (Some manufacturers specify that changing the gear oil is never necessary except after transmission work or to rectify a leak.)"

I bolded the important parts since you dont seem to understand very well.
exactly..."THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID IN A VEHICLE SO EQUIPPED (MINE!!!)" My car takes ATF automatic TRANSMISSION FLUID which doesnt need to be changed as requently...manuals use automatic transmission fluid.

and i bolded a few words for you too

Quick Reply: 05 GT Auto...Changing Tranny Fluid