Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need help fitting fuel pressure sender with Kenne Bell

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 11:52 PM
MacGyverGTP
2nd Gear Member

Default Need help fitting fuel pressure sender with Kenne Bell

Here's some photos to help you understand. The fitting that I have on the fuel sender right now has too large a diameter outside, or way too short on the threads. Will not fit. Perhaps a 3/8ths Female to female adaptor would work.

I can unscrew the schrader valve & it looks like the 3/8ths fitting I have on the sender in the photo would work if it was about 1/2" longer on the threaded side.

Anyone know what I need here? & where can I get it online?

Thanks!

[IMG]local://upfiles/31159/35C8B1140FFF4341B10BC7FA883EE0C0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/31159/31DB71520AC144429E064C89A83F42AD.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-06-2006, 12:09 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Need help fitting fuel pressure sender with Kenne Bell

Seems to be a common problem. There are several threads on this subject on the "other" board. James from KB replied in one of them with this:

With our kit there is an adapter to get fuel pressure. The adapter goes in between the sensor and the rail and fits no problem with our kit as this is what is was designed for. There is a schrader valve on the adapter that you take out and put a fitting in for the gauge. The install of the adapter starts on page 143 step 247 in the instructions.

Thank you,
James

Another person used a dremmel to make enough room for it to fit. I obviously can't post links here because they will be censored out. But if you go there and do a search for fuel sensor you will find them.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:31 AM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

good hunting job hawg!.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:47 AM
INTRUDER
1st Gear Member

There is an easy fix for this. It rquires no cutting or mashing.

Order the Atoumeter fuel sending unit. It is slimer and longer than the one you are using.
I ?think? the order number is #2960. Call the autometer they are VERY friendly and helpful.
Good luck and let me know if I can help more
Old 07-06-2006, 01:45 PM
MacGyverGTP
2nd Gear Member

Wow Intruder & Hawgman Looks like you guys could get a job over there at autometer... You are VERY friendly & helpful yourselvs!

Thanks so much!!!

Sean
Old 07-06-2006, 02:00 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Even the Autometer sender won't work based on what I have seen, it still requires some modification. I know someone that just did a KB install with Autometer gauges and he had to modify the fuel rail adapter.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:44 PM
silverpoison
2nd Gear Member

Soory for the delay... You don't need to buy anything if you don't care putting a hole in you fuel rails. When we installed my fuel rails we tapped into the fuel rail to fit the sending unit. Here are some pics. I hope this helps!!!!

Old 07-06-2006, 04:00 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

I'm not sure if I would trust that. The fuel rails are only stamped sheet metal, there isn't much metal there to tap. I would also think the end of the sending unit sticking down into the fuel rail could negatively effect fuel delivery. It is adding another restriction that doesn't need to be there even more so in a F/I application.

I would be willing to bet that over time as the motor vibrates and the sending unit shakes on the fuel rail that it will slowly start to loosen the hole it is in. It won't happen over night or over the course of a year probably, but over a 2-3 year span it will loosen some.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:21 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: MacGyverGTP

Wow Intruder & Hawgman Looks like you guys could get a job over there at autometer... You are VERY friendly & helpful yourselvs!

Thanks so much!!!

Sean
Ah....thanks? I didn't even mention Autometer, but hey, if they want to give me a job I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.

ORIGINAL: 1QuickShortBus

I'm not sure if I would trust that. The fuel rails are only stamped sheet metal, there isn't much metal there to tap. I would also think the end of the sending unit sticking down into the fuel rail could negatively effect fuel delivery. It is adding another restriction that doesn't need to be there even more so in a F/I application.

I would be willing to bet that over time as the motor vibrates and the sending unit shakes on the fuel rail that it will slowly start to loosen the hole it is in. It won't happen over night or over the course of a year probably, but over a 2-3 year span it will loosen some.
I agree 1000%. Just not convenced that the factory fuel rail is thick enough to trust threading something in to it.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:13 PM
jrplake06

man love the car!!!!!! wanna trade! haha

Quick Reply: Need help fitting fuel pressure sender with Kenne Bell