Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2006 FORD RACING DRAG PACK -- PROBLEM!!!! SUDDEN CATASTROPHIC REAR END FAILURE

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 04:10 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: 2006 FORD RACING DRAG PACK -- PROBLEM!!!! SUDDEN CATASTROPHIC REAR END FAILURE

You blame this on Ford and the car, but you haven't addressed my questions regarding the install. I will bet my car that the install was the root cause of this. Sorry, but you can't expect any car to be 100% reliable and even more so once you start modifying it.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:11 PM
pcdrj
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 2006 FORD RACING DRAG PACK -- PROBLEM!!!! SUDDEN CATASTROPHIC REAR END FAILURE

Could have been the gears. I purchased 4.10's online. Ther were FRPP and in the proper box. JDM attempted the install but could not get the gears to mesh properly. Turns out the gears were faulty from factory. Everyone was surprised as they'd never seem this before with FRPP gears. It happens. I suspect a dealer install might not have caught the problem.

BTW, they charge less than half of what the dealer charged.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:18 PM
pitbull11

It doesn't matter to me whether it was the install or not. It was towed back to the dealer who sold me the vehicle, ordered the parts and performed all the service under FORD'S NAME. Do I have to hire Inspector Clouseau to beat up the tech who did the work to find out the truth about the install? I'm not disagreeing that it was or wasn't the install, I'm just saying that it was all done under the name of FORD, and that "FORD" is treating me a lot different now than when they sold me the vehicle, the parts and the service. The fact is that Mustangs were MADE TO BE MODIFIED, and a modification should IMPROVE the car, NOT cause it to beak down while you're out on a date. After all, it's a brand new car!!!!
Old 07-10-2006, 04:19 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: pcdrj
Could have been the gears. I purchased 4.10's online. Ther were FRPP and in the proper box. JDM attempted the install but could not get the gears to mesh properly. Turns out the gears were faulty from factory. Everyone was surprised as they'd never seem this before with FRPP gears. It happens. I suspect a dealer install might not have caught the problem.

BTW, they charge less than half of what the dealer charged.
I agree that this would be a problem with the gears, but if the installer can't catch a pattern problem with the gears when they are being installed then it is also an installation problem because they don't know what they are doing.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pitbull11

IMO no brand new 2006 vehicle should be spending much time in the shop and should definitely NEVER need to be hauled on a flatbed. Once they break down on the road, especially with your lady in the car being put at risk, they have to go. Case closed.
Anything made by man can and will break. Doesn't matter how new it is or how much money you spend.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:43 PM
pitbull11

BTW -- The Ford Dealer has not called me yet to tell me how they are going to handle this, but here's what I asked them to do: I asked them to remove all parts associated with the M-2006-FR2A FRPP Drag Pack, including the Cold Air Kit, the headers and, or course, the 3.73 ring and pinion, and re-install all the stock parts which I took back to them, and to re-flash the PCM back to its original settings, using regular fuel instead of premium. They will be contacting me regarding the peripheral damage that was caused by the gear failure. We have not yet settled on a monetary agreement for all this stuff. Any ideas as to what they might ask for to repair all this damage? I already paid for the flatbed and the dealer was kind enough to arrange a rental car for (only?) $25 a day. Doesn't look good, does it? BTW - I stlll have to make 45 more payments on the car loan! Hope I get it back before it's too old. And, will it ever be road-worthy again? By road-worthy, I'm talking the Pennsylvania Turnpike.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:48 PM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

Dude, if the dealer installed all of this then it is warranted for 12 months-12,000 miles. You shouldn't even have to pay for the rental since the failure was their fault. You need to carry this above the dealers head for sure. they should even have to pay for the wrecker tow.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:13 PM
pitbull11

I'll post here when I find out what the deal is.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:43 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

FWIW (feel free to ignore) - I'd take a step back and put it all in perspective...

Don't get mad before you have all the information - it clouds your judgement.

Having been thrown off the highway (literally - in the air - spinning - no idea how many revolutions) by a seized rear-end in a prior/older mustang, I can confirm that !@#$ happens...

I am not excusing anyone, they may very well have screwed up...

But, take a deep breath, find out what really happened, and within the bounds of reason, give people the chance to "do the right thing" if at all possible (subject to the "fool me twice" caveat)...

While you are putting it all in perspective, take a moment to appreciate that you did not fly off the peak of a bridge into mud in the middle of nowhere, in the pouring rain, popping all 4 tires, ripping up your car, and oh yeah DIE!...
Old 07-10-2006, 07:31 PM
ren274u
3rd Gear Member

why dont you complain to the gm of the dealership, the owner, etc. If find the higher i go the better results.

Quick Reply: 2006 FORD RACING DRAG PACK -- PROBLEM!!!! SUDDEN CATASTROPHIC REAR END FAILURE