MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   "Racer" or "Street" C&L CAI (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/150604-racer-or-street-c-and-l-cai.html)

6605stang 07-11-2006 05:36 PM

"Racer" or "Street" C&L CAI

I'm finally getting around to putting a CAI on my 05 GT and I've narrowed it down to a C&L + SCT XCal 2 Tuner package from Brenspeed. However, maybe you can help me out from here...

The new plastic 95MM "Racer" version is $75 cheaper than the older metal 83MM "Street" version. If looks don't matter to me, is there any reason to pay more for the metal "Street" version? The "Racer" version says it for higher performance vehicles (i.e. supercharged, nitrous, etc.). But will there be any draw back to getting the less expensive 95MM "Racer" version versus the 83MM "Street" version.

I realize there may be not more gains by going to the "Racer" version for me (as I won't be putting a supercharger or nitrous in), but I just want to make sure its not going to loose power because of it.

All comments and help are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

J

bl1nk 07-11-2006 05:43 PM

RE: "Racer" or "Street" C&L CAI

ORIGINAL: 6605stang

I'm finally getting around to putting a CAI on my 05 GT and I've narrowed it down to a C&L + SCT XCal 2 Tuner package from Brenspeed. However, maybe you can help me out from here...

The new plastic 95MM "Racer" version is $75 cheaper than the older metal 83MM "Street" version. If looks don't matter to me, is there any reason to pay more for the metal "Street" version? The "Racer" version says it for higher performance vehicles (i.e. supercharged, nitrous, etc.). But will there be any draw back to getting the less expensive 95MM "Racer" version versus the 83MM "Street" version.

I realize there may be not more gains by going to the "Racer" version for me (as I won't be putting a supercharger or nitrous in), but I just want to make sure its not going to loose power because of it.

All comments and help are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

J
Just got my Street version yesterday and I love it so far, and the look is awesome. I believe the street gets a few more hp also. I chose the street because of the aluminum tube though and not the plastic one, IMO it just looks better. Plus if you ever change your mind and want to do nitrous in the future, you cant do it with the racer version.

Tmack 07-11-2006 05:47 PM

I say go with the cheaper one. After you tune it, they will both act identical. $75 is a lot to spend on looks under the hood.

jay00f4 07-11-2006 06:18 PM

I don't know but I would think the Street would hold heat more so the racer should perform better. Anyone know if this is true?

Tmack 07-11-2006 06:33 PM

ORIGINAL: jay00f4

I don't know but I would think the Street would hold heat more so the racer should perform better. Anyone know if this is true?
I think heat is a mute issue. With this type of induction, you are taking the air strait from the engine bay, which is hot to begin with. Technically it is not a Cold Air Induction kit. You will see the same performance with both. The racer will have advantages over the street version only when connected to a supercharger because it allows more air to be pulled through the pipe.

bl1nk 07-11-2006 06:35 PM

ORIGINAL: jay00f4

Air is moving so fast through the intake tube that its not even in there long enough to make a difference.

Timmay!!! 07-11-2006 06:56 PM

ORIGINAL: 6605stang

I
J
If looks don't matter and you have no brand preferance go JLT. It cheaper than both of them and makes identical power. Evolution has the best deals I've seen on them and Fred has some good tunes, some of the best out there actually.

rex7010 07-11-2006 07:06 PM

Street .. unless you are going to get a S/C one day...!!!
then you will need the racer .. going thru it now... ( have street , bought S/C..now need racer )

JMO

Rex

6605stang 07-11-2006 08:03 PM

Okay, just so I understand you guys right, I should go with the Street even though it's more $? Is there any drawback to just getting the Racer now? Will the increased size of the Racer be of any negative effect to a non-S/C setup?

bl1nk 07-11-2006 08:39 PM

ORIGINAL: rex7010

Street .. unless you are going to get a S/C one day...!!!
then you will need the racer .. going thru it now... ( have street , bought S/C..now need racer )

JMO

Rex
Maybe Im misunderstanding something but why would you need to switch to the racer if you got a SC? From what I understand the street is the one that is N2O capable.. so what happened if you had nitrous and then you got a SC.. do you just.. lose your nitrous because now you had to switch from the street to the racer???