Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Canned Tune at Altitude

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 08:44 PM
PaulH2

Default Canned Tune at Altitude

I'm getting ready to order an '07 GT and need some advice.

Long-term, I expect to go the supercharger route, but that is going to be at least 2 years out due to funds etc. so I think I'm going to go with a CAI and tune in the short-term, which brings me to my question. Is a canned tune going to work well at altitude? I live in Albuquerque, NM, so most of my driving is going to be at 5,500ft+. I assume the canned tunes shipped with such as the Predator tuner are based on dyno results at low altitudes, which will obviously be fine for most people, but I'm wondering how well they work at higher altitudes and whether I'd really neet to get a professional dyno tune on the car?

I'd appreciate advice from anybody who has done this kind of thing before and what kind of results they got.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 07-12-2006, 02:35 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Canned Tune at Altitude

You could have some rich issues with the elevation. Either way, I highly recommend you take it to a tuner, and let them do it for ya. Contact Chris Richards at Rich Ford 505 292 0000 and ask him who he recommends in your area.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:16 PM
CDW63
2nd Gear Member

I have the predator canned tune (91 oct) running in my car, I recently experience some issues with it at higher altitude. I made a roadtrip from Phoenix to Southern Missouri due to a death in the family, running the 91 tune the whole way. On the way back to AZ I noticed the car losing a lot of throttle response around the Gallup, NM area (6500-7000ft), I pulled over and loaded the backup (Ford tune) and ran for about five miles, it ran fine on the stock tune. So I pulled over and reloaded the Predator canned 91oct tune to see if the throttle lag issue was still there, it was difficult to start the car after the 91 oct tune was loaded and once started it exhibited heavy throttle lag (throttle reponse). I stopped one last time and reloaded the factory tune and ran the rest of the way back to Phoenix without any problems.

I am assuming the altitude was the cause of the issues I experienced, I will reload the 91 oct tune later today and see how the car reacts.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:57 PM
PaulH2

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll call Chris Richards and see who he recommends, I was kind of leaning towards a custom tune anyway...

Interesting information there CDW63, it sounds like there may indeed be an altitude issue, although I'm surprised it was this severe. I've driven my Acura to almost 10,000ft (from about 5,300ft at my home) and there was a noticable drop in performance at that altitude, but no other problems (car started fine etc.). I suppose if the canned tune is more agressive, it may be pushing the envelope far enough that the altitude really makes a difference.

All the more reason to go with a custom dyno tune I guess, plus the fact at least then I'll know what difference it made (and what differect a S/C makes when I get to that point).

Now I just need to decide on a CAI. I was thinking C&L, but was just reading the Street / Racer version thread and now have to decide which to go with (I suspect the Racer as I probably won't notice a couple of HP now, and may as well save a couple of hundred bucks down the line).

Thanks again,

Paul