Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Question about tuners - Diablo/SCT?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 12:56 PM
bwilder10h
1st Gear Member

Default Question about tuners - Diablo/SCT?

I'm considering a tuner and have the option to purchase a second hand Diablo Predator tuner which had the factory tune reinstalled in the original vehicle and the owner says has the updated tune from Diablo.

I've heard good about both tuners so I'm at a loss as to which I should go with. I don't plan to put a CAI on my car because I've seen several oil analysis that showed increased dust and dirt in the oils with these types of filters. I do however plan to switch gears to a 3.73 in the future, get FRPP axle backs (sound only) and would like to firm up shifts and just get an overal better running car.

Would you recommend the diablo for my needs or the SCT and who has the best tune for each?

Old 07-12-2006, 01:30 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Question about tuners - Diablo/SCT?

The Diablo and the SCT-II both do the same thing: they simply load an updated tuning file into your car's onboard computer. So, one isn't really "Better" than the other--they both serve the same function.

I would be wary about buying a secondhand tuner. As you already know, the previous owner must reset their car to stock before giving you the tuner, otherwise it won't work on your car, and you'll have an expensive paperweight. Also, part of what you're getting when you buy a tuner is the expertise and experience of the tuning shop. When you buy a tuner from a good tuning shop like Bamachips, Brenspeed, or Evo (for example) then they will set you up with a great tune designed for exactly what you want. If you buy a secondhand tuner then you're taking your chances with the quality of tunes (if they work at all). With a secondhand unit, you will probably have to pay for a tune to be done for you, which could put you in the same price range as buying a new one (or more).

My suggestion is to buy whichever tuner is used by your favorite tuning shop.

Also, I wouldn't worry about the filtering capability of the aftermarket filters. These types of filters, such as the K&N are extremely popular and are in use on millions of vehicles worldwide--including street, fleet, and racing vehicles of all types. If the 'oil contamination' actually did cause increased engine wear, then I think we'd have a lof of empirical evidence to that fact: hundreds of thousands of unhappy customers with worn-out motors!
Old 07-12-2006, 01:31 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

For your intended application I would suggest the SCT XCal 2 only because of you having an automatic. And for that same reason ( the automatic part ) I would suggest Doug at Bamachips. Take the auto out of the picture, I say go with the used Predator for the cheaper price and just use a downloadable internet tune from the Diablo web site.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:46 PM
bwilder10h
1st Gear Member

Al and Hawg, thanks for your input. I do have reservations about buying a used tuner and one concern is (as Al brought up) where/who the tune came from.... I guess I could always use the box tune from the Diablo website and be better off than stock.... yes/no?

Hawg, why do you recommend Bamachips for the automatic? I assume his setup for shiftpoints are better...?

Does the SCT allow gear change updates, remove the speed limiter, fans on/off and TCS to be turned off like the Diablo?
Old 07-12-2006, 01:55 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I am not 100% sure about the Diablo becasue I haven't used one personally.

However, I have used the SCT-II, and I know for a fact that it can do the following:

Fans
Gear change
Tire size change
Data logging
ignition/fuel tweaking
idle RPM
adjust rev limiter...and more, from the user's perspective. I think with an Auto you can also tweak the shift points as well (I have the manual so I haven't tried this personally)

Of course, your tuner can alter everything in the main tune file. And, you can also buy the optional "racer software" from SCT which lets you play with every little thing in the ECU, if you want to.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:48 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: bwilder10h

Al and Hawg, thanks for your input. I do have reservations about buying a used tuner and one concern is (as Al brought up) where/who the tune came from.... I guess I could always use the box tune from the Diablo website and be better off than stock.... yes/no?

Hawg, why do you recommend Bamachips for the automatic? I assume his setup for shiftpoints are better...?

Does the SCT allow gear change updates, remove the speed limiter, fans on/off and TCS to be turned off like the Diablo?
Never used him ( or any email tune for that matter ) but he seems to have tons of happy customers in the various forums.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:21 PM
ren274u
3rd Gear Member

I tried all the big tuners, and i like bamachips best for my auto. Better throttle response and doesnt upshift as quickly as others. Get an intake dont be afraid of dirt and oil.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:11 PM
callahan
3rd Gear Member

Definately call some different custom tune shops and see which device THEY prefer before you buy.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:43 AM
Just4fun

I have the SCT X Cal 2 from Evolution Performance and I love it. Used the C & L CIA and would strongly recomend it. Good Luck!
Old 07-13-2006, 09:24 AM
ScreamingYellow
2nd Gear Member

Doug's throttle maps are light years ahead of others. My Mustangs throttle response feels like my old S2K did now that he has gotten his hands on it. Both tuners serve the same purpose, but as people before stated, it really comes down to which one your tunning shop likes to use. Doug happens to do SCT