Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help! My new 2007 GT is too refined

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 04:56 PM
howyhowy
1st Gear Member

Default Help! My new 2007 GT is too refined

Hey all, newbie here, sorry for the long post…

I picked up my 2007 GT Premium 5spd convertible yesterday and boy am I disappointed!

I‘ve spent the last 12 hours searching the web for what to do and I think this killer forum is going to help make me a happy camper again…

Here are my problems (most annoying first) compared to my 2002 GT vert.

Throttle-Lag
Cant do a descent burnout / break stand (AC and TCS off)
Can’t hear the exhaust
Gooey RPM drift
Shaker 500 playing MP3’s unreliably
Shaker has too much subwoofer bass
Quick ratio steering is not so quick?
Hood needs some character
High profile tires feel like big balloons – I kinda expected that

I still have my 2002 GT vert 5spd (92kmiles all stock) for comparison. When I ordered this 07 in June I was excited to get the extra HP over my 2002 GT. My friend even ordered a supercharger for his 2002 GT just so he could still compete with me. But alas the 07 feels slower and too “refined” vs. the 02.

I think the throttle lag and maybe the horsepower being generated at higher RPM vs. my 02 are combining to make this car feel like less of a muscle car. I guess its similar to when I had to go from a 5L mustang to a 4.6L – the horsepower moved up towards the top and it felt less responsive.

OH, by the way I have been told that even when the Traction Control is turned off, its not fully off. Is this true?

This post started as a 4 page word document but I have trimmed it down, so here is what I am going to do in a nut shell unless anyone has any objections:

18” rims – note I DO have the new Tire Pressure transmitters in my stock 17” rims, so I wonder what the consequences of aftermarket rims will be.

White racing stripes (painted on by any local body shop? – comments?)

After reading the Cold Score article I am planning on buying the JLT 2 INTAKE and XCAL2 combo from Brenspeed or Evoperform but SCT says they don’t support the 2007 yet, so I may have to wait?

I also want to get some axel backs to liven things up a bit in the cabin. Although I was looking at some cutouts and was thinking it would be nice to be able to switch back and forth between crazy loud and normal, but I wonder what an open cutout sounds like – it might sound like a really bad exhaust leak. Anybody have experience with cutouts or pretty loud axel backs that don’t drone too bad?

I want to do a before and after CAI test so I found two local dynos on this page:
http://www.ultimateresourceguides.co...rticle102.html
Precision Racing Ridgefield, NJ
Rally Motosport Hackensack, NJ

Anyone have any experience in Northern NJ? I think they dont do tuning so I might have to learn how to do it myself or just hope the tune that comes with the CAI is good enough.
What are the next logical steps after a tuned CAI? Pully, X-pipe, shorties, Mild Nitros? I am more concerned about getting good sound and my low RPM snap back rather than getting the best quarter mile times.

Thanks for your help,
-Howy Stark (BSEE - Pro Audio Equipment Designer) Sparta, NJ

99 Dodge Durango stock 64kmiles
02 Mustang GTvert 5spd Black/BlackLthr stock 92k miles (for sale)
07 Mustang GTvert 5spd T.red/ParchmentLthr stock 84 miles
Old 07-13-2006, 05:11 PM
s2k
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Help! My new 2007 GT is too refined

jeez the car is brand new let it break in before you go abusing it
give it a few thou miles to break in and then youll see what it does
Old 07-13-2006, 05:14 PM
howyhowy
1st Gear Member

>let it break in before you go abusing it

Yeah, I know, I am trying to be careful for the fist 1k miles.
-howy
Old 07-13-2006, 05:33 PM
GhostPony
2nd Gear Member

Congrats on new car.
I have an 06 vert with about 200 miles on it so far. You need to get rid of that 3.31 gear and get a 3.73 or 4.10.
I would recommend the 3.73 for an auto.
My vert (Pre Kenne Bell supercharger) could broil the tires off the rims as long as you torque them up.
I had a 3.73 gear installed right away when it came in so this was with the gear only, no tune, no other mods.
It could still broil the 18/40/285 rear tires too.
The throttle lag you experience is the "drive-by-wire".
This can be compensated for in the tune if you get an SCT and a canned or dyno tune.
The stock exhaust flows just as well as most aftermarket H or X pipes. This has been tested.
You can enhance the sound with some nice axlebacks, I have the FRRP and they are nice.
Cut outs may or may not sound like a truck with no exhaust. I have not heard them on the 3V yet.
There are some guys who were installing electric cut-outs on the forums.

Painted stripes rock so I think that will add to your ride too!
I am showing my car this weekend, and having stripes painted (mine are color-changing stripes) is going to set my car apart from the Stangs with the vinyl stuff slapped on.

Old 07-13-2006, 05:33 PM
5StangsandCounting
1st Gear Member

My first drive after trading in my 03 gt felt great! I instantly knew I was driving a faster car. the power is possibly up a little higher in the band, but not all that different..
I'm thinking in time you will adjust to it..

Anyhow, the cold-air tune setup really will make a believer in you.. they are a great first mod. ( i went the JLT evolution route)
the tune also seems to help the throttle lag a little..

the trac cont should not kick in when it is dis-engaged.. as I think most of us have a few really good burnouts on record with this car...
No idea about the tire pressure bit..

18" rims and 45 ratio seems perfect to me on my car.. and gets rid of that 'balloon' feeling. Rode in one with 35 ratio and it was really tight, but almost too much for me...

steering ratio feels cleaner than my 03.. so not sure about that issue..

lastly, I pulled off the mufflers for a day just for the hell of it.. and It sounds cool for about 8 seconds, but it really does have that 81 chev wagon in the trailor park without any mufflers sound.. so not as cool as you'd hope for.. (and i had noticably less power also..) so the best idea is probably to listen to some audio clips of different muffler set-ups on this site and find one you like.. Borla seems to top most peoples lists lateley.

hope you fall in love with it shortly..
Matt-
Old 07-13-2006, 05:36 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howyhowy

Hey all, newbie here, sorry for the long post…

I picked up my 2007 GT Premium 5spd convertible yesterday and boy am I disappointed!

I‘ve spent the last 12 hours searching the web for what to do and I think this killer forum is going to help make me a happy camper again…

Here are my problems (most annoying first) compared to my 2002 GT vert.

Throttle-Lag
Add CAI and tune, issue solved

Cant do a descent burnout / break stand (AC and TCS off)
I've driven 4 automatic GT's, all had no problem smoking the hides off the rims either with 17" or even the 18 inchers... turns TCS off, apply brake, apply lots of gas, instant smile.

Can’t hear the exhaust
My guess here is you're used to the 2002 which didn't have astock exhaust anymore, buy new mufflers, problem solved.

Gooey RPM drift
Strange, I haven't met a gooey one yet, take it back or when you get the CAI and tune use the firmer shifts the tune provides.

Shaker 500 playing MP3’s unreliably
Say hello to the dealer, or as I've seen some people do, they made horrible MP3 cd's, make better MP3 cd's or take the car back and have them check it out.

Shaker has too much subwoofer bass
Ummmm, turn down the bass....

Quick ratio steering is not so quick?
It's better than the 2002 you have, by a long shot.

Hood needs some character
It lacked that character prior to purchase, it will remain that way until you do something about it.

High profile tires feel like big balloons – I kinda expected that
Ford has 18" wheel options that aren't that way, perhaps you should have bought them?

I still have my 2002 GT vert 5spd (92kmiles all stock) for comparison. When I ordered this 07 in June I was excited to get the extra HP over my 2002 GT. My friend even ordered a supercharger for his 2002 GT just so he could still compete with me. But alas the 07 feels slower and too “refined” vs. the 02.

I think the throttle lag and maybe the horsepower being generated at higher RPM vs. my 02 are combining to make this car feel like less of a muscle car. I guess its similar to when I had to go from a 5L mustang to a 4.6L – the horsepower moved up towards the top and it felt less responsive.
Yet you say the '02 feels like it's more of a muscle car... the new one actually makes better horsepower at all rpms than the previous 4.6, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Too refined..... wow... your friend bought a S/C to keep up, that should tell you something about the performance difference between the two.

OH, by the way I have been told that even when the Traction Control is turned off, its not fully off. Is this true?
No...

This post started as a 4 page word document but I have trimmed it down, so here is what I am going to do in a nut shell unless anyone has any objections:

18” rims – note I DO have the new Tire Pressure transmitters in my stock 17” rims, so I wonder what the consequences of aftermarket rims will be.
4 pages and yet you knew before buying the car I'm sure that it was this way....

White racing stripes (painted on by any local body shop? – comments?)
Get them yes, they look awesome.

After reading the Cold Score article I am planning on buying the JLT 2 INTAKE and XCAL2 combo from Brenspeed or Evoperform but SCT says they don’t support the 2007 yet, so I may have to wait?

I also want to get some axel backs to liven things up a bit in the cabin. Although I was looking at some cutouts and was thinking it would be nice to be able to switch back and forth between crazy loud and normal, but I wonder what an open cutout sounds like – it might sound like a really bad exhaust leak. Anybody have experience with cutouts or pretty loud axel backs that don’t drone too bad?

I want to do a before and after CAI test so I found two local dynos on this page:
http://www.ultimateresourceguides.co...rticle102.html
Precision Racing Ridgefield, NJ
Rally Motosport Hackensack, NJ

Anyone have any experience in Northern NJ? I think they dont do tuning so I might have to learn how to do it myself or just hope the tune that comes with the CAI is good enough.
What are the next logical steps after a tuned CAI? Pully, X-pipe, shorties, Mild Nitros? I am more concerned about getting good sound and my low RPM snap back rather than getting the best quarter mile times.
Seems like you knew the answer to your woes all along 'eh? THe new car is more refined yet much faster than in the past, the steering is quicker, the car handles much better than any previous Mustang. Not sure what the beginning of the thread was about when you had the answers all along.....
Old 07-13-2006, 05:36 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

lol brand new lol

I waited 1000 miles before my first tire roast.

PICS PICS PICS

"Cant do a descent burnout / break stand (AC and TCS off) "
Old 07-13-2006, 06:00 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

Like everybody else is saying..breake in ur motor. I floored my car for the first time at 600miles; most people wait till 1k. I can tell you at 83miles its not a good idea to do what your doing. you should feel and hear a dif in the car around 200miles. But i would wait till atleast 600 before you start to mess around.

And as fair as the 02 GT; they have no top end unlike the new GTs. Wait and see

o and GL w/ ur new car.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:05 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Can anyone confirm that they have even started production on the 2007's? Thought they didn't begin that until August...
Old 07-13-2006, 06:22 PM
GT06GT
2nd Gear Member

seeing as how theres pics of 07 C/S's and 2 new 07 GT's at my dealer****, yes i can confirm it

Quick Reply: Help! My new 2007 GT is too refined