Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

hurst shifter

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 12:00 AM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: hurst shifter

ORIGINAL: blowngt

What hawgman and myself are saying is just the facts. you shouldn't get your feelings hurt if you own a Hurst. The 'feel' of the hurst is a matter of the throw which is the exact same 'feel' you'll get from the $50 saleen adapter.

What the important thing we are talking is what you don't 'feel' - specifically how it will transition and bang gears under load. Try powershifting the hurst at the track and you will instantly see what I'm talking about. For as great as the throw 'feels' - see how good it feels when you only press the clutch in a couple inches while shifting without letting your foot off the gas. What you will find is the shifter will not lock up until the clutch is completely depressed and this will cost you valuable tenths on your et's.

I am a fairly expereinced driver and I dropped 3 tenths on my time with the exact same mods when I lost the hurst and went with the pro 5.0. I also had the tri-ax on my car too, so I am speaking from experience of using all 3 shifters on my car.

I'm not saying people are stupid for buying the hurst. Especially since the majority on this site don't need a serious racing shifter. I'm just giving the facts that the saleen is the same feel for a lot less money and easier install.

What is it that the Pro 5 does differently to make power shifting easier? Better pivot point or bushings? It's good to hear from someone that has used all three of these shifters, I am also in the market. I do like the look of the Hurst, but not above performance.

Thanks
Old 07-18-2006, 01:41 AM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

First of all, I said not to get your feelings hurt if you own a hurst. For the record, I personally think the stick and ball are the nicest looking out there and yes that classic look is awesome.

Now, giving it the due appearence koodos, it is a lot cheaper to buy a GOOD shifter and then just buy the Hurst stick and ball and have the same classic look with a shifter that actually performs.

To answer your question, EVERYTHING about the shifter is heavy duty and race ready. The hurst is identical to the stock shifter and here is a couple pics of the pro 5.0 before install...

Link to hurst pics... http://www.rpmoutlet.com/05gthur.htm

[IMG]local://upfiles/41573/D1B3DC3ED16C4B6DA25CCEE259C07571.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/41573/E0DA33BED6E8480A8C022B1ADB3D55FA.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-18-2006, 02:13 AM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

While I really don't have "feelings" about any particular shifter, you may want to make a comparison to Hurst's Billet shifter, not the one that appears like the stock shifter. This shifter has better construction (than the cheaper Hurst), adjustable stops, Classic looks, and a good price.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...ctDisplayPopup

That being said, the pictures you posted of the Pro 5.0 sure do show nice construction and your suggestion of using that shifter with a Hurst handle seems like a great idea.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:51 AM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

wait till this fall untill the MGW short shifter comes out. that thing will be top notch just like the ones for the previous mustangs. www.mgwltd.com
Old 07-18-2006, 12:46 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, I bet they'll give a free one with every Whipple when those come out.........NOT, LOL
ORIGINAL: RCT06GT

wait till this fall untill the MGW short shifter comes out. that thing will be top notch just like the ones for the previous mustangs. www.mgwltd.com
Old 07-18-2006, 03:30 PM
jaiasmit
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Justastockmustang

While I really don't have "feelings" about any particular shifter, you may want to make a comparison to Hurst's Billet shifter, not the one that appears like the stock shifter. This shifter has better construction (than the cheaper Hurst), adjustable stops, Classic looks, and a good price.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...ctDisplayPopup

That being said, the pictures you posted of the Pro 5.0 sure do show nice construction and your suggestion of using that shifter with a Hurst handle seems like a great idea.
I agree with justastock. If you are going to go with the Hurst shifter, I would wait a couple of weeks until the new billet model comes out. The cost is only about 10 - 20 dollars more, and the constuction is light years ahead of the current model. The new version comes with the same chrome handle and white shifter ball to give you that classic look, but the rail is made of billet aluminum similar to the Steeda Triax and Pro 5.0. The new one also has adjustable shift stops to keep from damaging the transmission during hard shifting. This new model appears to be tons better. When I talked with Jeg's this morning, they said they are showing that the new models should be arriving on July 26th, while D'Agostino Racing said they should be getting them on the 22nd. Me personally, am waiting on them to arrive at Brenspeed, who also said they should be arriving soon. D'Agostino Racing has the lowest price I've seen online at $199.99 compared to $189.99 for the original. Most others like Jeg's are around $207.99 (keep in mind that Jeg's and Brenspeed offer free shipping though). Good luck with the Hurst. I'll be ordering mine as soon as they are available.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:05 PM
05HOTROD
2nd Gear Member

does anyone know if you can use the hurst handle on the pro 5.0 shifter, or are the bolt sizes different??? I want to get a pro 5.0 with the hurst handle, I think this set up would be cool.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:19 PM
05gtgreen
2nd Gear Member

Is that free shipping only offered to people in the states? I live in Canada so I assume the shipping would be pretty expensive, as is everything I have ordered from the states when shipped through UPS. I just ordered a Hurst shifter from a local shop near me, and it was 230 canadian, now i have to wait 3 days to get it before she gets put in the car. I would have waited a couple weeks but I didn't know they were comin out with a new shifter, oh well. I don't plan on doin any racing with my car anyways, cept the occasional stop light here and there to let imports know where they stand, lol.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:39 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: RCT06GT

Hummm... heard that same story a year ago. Gave up in the winter and went with the Pro 5.0 Nine months later, MGW still doesn't have a product on the market for the S197. Maybe they are partnering with Whipple for a big release
Old 07-19-2006, 05:35 AM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

ahh that is some shady business. the guy from mgw emailed me and said it will be out this fall definately but i will see. if it is not out this fall i will go with the hurst but untill then i wil wait it out.

Quick Reply: hurst shifter