Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Next Mods!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 06:52 PM
blownblackstang
1st Gear Member

Default Next Mods!!!

I have a powerdyne s/c with around 400hp, with 3:73 gears and corsa axlebacks. I want to know what would be the next best few upgrades. I will add the water methanol injection which adds aprox. 50 more hp. Was thinking streetfighter converter, LCA's, and wider tires. What else? or different mods? Please help. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2006, 11:31 PM
blownblackstang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Next Mods!!!

Any thoughts from you pro's?
Old 07-19-2006, 01:28 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Make damn sure your tuner knows what he is doing when going the meth injection route. There are plenty of big time well known tuners out there right now ( Adam at ST, Jim at JDM ) that are anit meth injection on these motors.

If it were me, I would look in to fuel upgrades next, a new tune, and smaller pulleys. Why bother with methanol if you can get another 100hp out of a pulley and a tune.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:12 PM
blownblackstang
1st Gear Member

Why do you say not to mess with meth/water? I've talked to few guys who say it is actually better for car, do to raising octane levels and cooler temp, less likely to detonate. I know you have to get proper tune, my tuner is pretty new to 05 models, but is svt tech for 10 yrs who opened performance shop, and has 8 second 95. I have already done fuel pump, and 39lb injectors. What other fuel upgrades do you recommend? I cannot go smaller pulley without voiding my 3 yr warranty, and it is powerdyne so I need to keep it under warranty
Old 07-19-2006, 12:37 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I would do handling/traction mods first. I'm willing to bet that you already have more power than you can put down reliably and consistently.

LCAs: Good idea. I'm wondering why you hadn't done that yet. Traction is a problem STOCK, I can't imagine how bad it would be with a blower and gears.

Converter: Another good idea. Converter/gears is one of the best performance combos out there for an auto.

You might also consider other rear suspension parts: panhard bar, brace, and rear sway bar.

I agree with hawgman about the meth injection. Don't use it unless you MUST. I know a few turbo buick guys that run it, and they are always having to fool with the system. It's a hassle to keep the tank topped up. And, if there's ever a problem such as a burst hose, or a clogged nozzle, or something like that, then you're screwed.

A good fuel system upgrade + pulley wouldn't be a bad idea. As for the warranty, how is that a problem? Install the new pulley, if there's a problem just swap back the original one.

You might also consider headers and an offroad (or high-flow) pipe.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:51 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: blownblackstang

Why do you say not to mess with meth/water? I've talked to few guys who say it is actually better for car, do to raising octane levels and cooler temp, less likely to detonate. I know you have to get proper tune, my tuner is pretty new to 05 models, but is svt tech for 10 yrs who opened performance shop, and has 8 second 95. I have already done fuel pump, and 39lb injectors. What other fuel upgrades do you recommend? I cannot go smaller pulley without voiding my 3 yr warranty, and it is powerdyne so I need to keep it under warranty
To echo my PM. I completely agree that methanol injetion is a good product. It has remarkable results. Just not for the S197 cars. Jim at JDM has one of the top cars in the country. Doesn't use it. Justin at JPC also has one of the top cars. Doesn't use it. Why? Certainly not because they just want to see how fast they can go without it. Because it just doesn't seem to work well on the new Mustangs at the moment. Adam at ST Motorsports doesn't advise using it. Manny at HPP Racing doesn't advise using it. The list goes on and on. Sure, it might in the future be a great upgrade for the S197, but not right now. There is a big difference between a S197 and a SN95 car. Your tuner with the 8 second Mustang is not doing it with a S197. And you made a very key statement in your above post.
"my tuner is pretty new to 05 models"
That right there is reason enough. And that is in no way a slam on your tuner. I can guarentee you that if you throw methanol injection on there and do the same thing that lostsoul did ( several holes in the block because the tuner was unfamiliar with 05's ) that Powerdyne isn't even going to remotely entertain the idea of upholding a warranty.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:12 PM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

Big +1 - the only thing I will clarify is that the methonal injection issues are related to forced induction. There are several n/a cars out there with the kits and they are working fine. For some reason on these modular motors, the meth kits are extremely 'touchy' with FI. And 'touchy' means "will easily blow your motor if slightly off"

And Hawg is not just throwing names out there, none of those guys will touch it on FI cars with a 10 ft pole. (and those guys are the most experienced in the world with S197)

What to get next? Get an icebox, upper and lower ca's, panhard bar, aftermarket swaybar, definitely the TCI, springs, and injectors/fuel rails.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:16 PM
blownblackstang
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info. I guess I won't do the meth inject. I'm not to concerned about handling in the turns as much as hooking the tires up street or drag racing. with that in mind would you still do the same traction/suspension mods as you listed. I do have hard time hooking up, launch at 2300 and will spin for 100-150 feet, I actually thought I was hooking decently till I turned around and saw the rubber on the pavement. Thanks for the help, and for maybe saving me a motor!
Old 07-19-2006, 01:28 PM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

These guys know what they are talking about. The reason they said to do the LCA's is the fact the stock ones flex and cause wheel hop. It's real bad on a stick car but even the Auto guys like myself have seen big improvements in LCA's. They are next on my list.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:30 PM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

Yes, you still need those things listed for street/strip. The difference is which ones you get. For example, there are alot of upper and lower ca's out there but for drag I like metco the best - for street: BMR. Panhard bars are all pretty much the same and same goes for aftermarket swaybar. Springs make a huge difference between ride and drag. Same thing about struts/shocks. I like QA1 set-ups for drag.

You have to get rubber if you want to drag...period. Start off with some MT ET Streets. Mount them on extra rims cause you don't want to drive around on the street with them. Not that you can't, just that they won't last long. The DOT tire of choice amoung all the pros is the MT ET Streets 26x11 1/2-17.

You will need the TCI Streetfighter next after suspension mods. If you run into any fuel issues (I doubt it though at 8 psi) you may want to get a BAS. Swap your plugs to the HTO's and you will make a huge difference to your set-up.

This is for starters...lol

Quick Reply: Next Mods!!!