MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   CAI filter (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/154590-cai-filter.html)

flewbyu 07-20-2006 02:11 AM

CAI filter

How often should we either replace or clean the filters??

Herknav 07-20-2006 04:46 AM

RE: CAI filter

When it is dirty?!

With a CAI, it is super easy to evaluate when the filter is dirty... open the hood and look at it. I think it all depends on the conditions you drive in. Some might go 50k, some might go 20k... and I don't know of any CAIs that have replacement filters, just cleanable ones.

W1ldcat 07-20-2006 06:37 AM

One thing to be careful of is when putting oil on them is to go very spareingly (light). A little goes a long way and using too much the excess can get drawn in on to your mass air flow sensor and cause problems.

flewbyu 07-20-2006 10:09 AM

Herk>>>>>To be clearer, what I meant was should it be done at a certain amount of miles reguardless? or should the filter be cleaned or oiled on a monthly basis or something?

Wildcat>>>>is there a speacial oil we use? This is my first intake. Thanks dude.

W1ldcat 07-20-2006 10:36 AM

No, just clean it when it's noticabley dirty. Which isn't very often unless you live where it's dusty.
I have the K&N and they have a kit you buy. You wash it and let dry and then put oil on. Maybe C&L has one. I have only used K&N.

Stooge 07-20-2006 11:13 AM

Let it get visibly dirty. It filters better. Newly cleaned, oiled gauze-type filters 1) let more dirt through, and 2) can release fine drops of oil into the intake. To prove that comment 1) is true, do a Used Oil Analysis before and after the new filer/intake is/was installed. The analysis will show higher amounts of silica (dirt) (and yes, it could cause additional wear in the engine), and for comment 2), run your finger along the inside of the intake pipe after running a couple hundred miles - is there oil (probably is). This can't be good for the Mass Flow Sensor and Automatic Idle Control port in the throttle body.

Daniel60 07-20-2006 07:18 PM

I have been told once a year or if it is noticeably dirty. I cleaned mine with the K'N cleaner and believe it or not felt more horsepower. They have instructions in the box and can be bought at any Auto Zone or parts store. The cleaning was really easy.

flewbyu 07-20-2006 09:15 PM

Wildcat---ok, it is fine now but I dont want it to get like my filters in the house which i always forget to change monthly.

Stooge--- Very good and detailed information. The back story really helps..

Daniel60--- I will check around just to see what available for the CnL.. Maybe I will loearn something else as well

A Herk---- I must be going crazy because I did not even see your full reply the first time. I only saw the first line. You answered pretty good.

Thanks to all of you. The amount of info I have learned since joining is amazing. I hope to return the favor somee day. THANKS GUYS