Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

BETTER GAS MILEAGE

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 07:23 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: BETTER GAS MILEAGE

Wheels/tires......it would not look good but.....smaller wheels/tires would
net you better mpg.....

Better suggestion: Work an extra 2-3 days per month, to pay for gas
and smiles

Old 07-21-2006, 07:37 PM
RetiredGeneral
2nd Gear Member

here's the deal with better gas mileage... My 300 hp v8 is getting 21-22 mpg on average. Now, think about a 300 hp v8 in 1967... what did it get? 15 mpg on a good day, down hill with a draft? See, most of the stuff that was aftermarket that you would add to improve mpg in the past is standard now... like electronic ignition, computer controls, better flowing exhaust, O/D transmissions... add to that new technology like variable valve timing and the hip new cycliners on demand thing, and there isn't much room for improvement. Sure, there is some room (like CAI or long tube headers), but not much.
So there you go. #1 thing is to keep your car properly maintained, then get a CAI and tune. You'll see a little increase if you keep your foot out of it, and you'll enjoy the better throttle response.
My personal solution is my Harley... I get 50 mpg and the enjoyment of the wind in my face...
Old 07-21-2006, 07:45 PM
Humboldt Stang
3rd Gear Member

Turning off your Caps Lock is good for 1-2 MPG.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:13 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Whatever I save in gas, I'm just gonna spend on mods, so what difference does it make?
Old 07-21-2006, 08:31 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Should've bought a Prius if you care about gas mileage, you'll never save enough to make money for mods...
Old 07-21-2006, 10:09 PM
Racefiend
2nd Gear Member

Anyone thoughth of having the afr's leaned out during high vacuum, say between 2-3k rpms? That ought to net you quite a bit of mpg
Old 07-21-2006, 10:48 PM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

I've been getting about 21-22 in all around driving. I drive my car very gently though. Here's a tip that I would think was very obvious, but I'm surprised that I'm really the only one I know that actually does it: When you see a light or a stop sign or slow traffic 100 or 75 yards ahead of you, take the foot off the gas and drift on into it. Saves your gas and your brakes. That sounds so simple, but I am amazed at the folks I ride with that continue to keep in the gas until they get right up on it and then slam on the brakes to make the stop (my wife included.)
Old 07-22-2006, 01:16 AM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

Get a blower. ...and a hybrid for the significant other!
Old 07-22-2006, 01:40 AM
scoutbb

I've been averaging 17-19 mpg for daily driving. The only mod purchased is a K&N air filter, my 2005 GT has 4716 miles and still has the original air cleaner.

scout
Old 07-22-2006, 01:25 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sjyankovic

You have a point, but remember that to get to the same speed using less force, you have to apply the force for longer (thus using the same amount of energy). thus, no matter how great the acceleration, the energy necessary to invest to get an object to a certain speed is always KE=1/2mv^2. So, ignoring losses in heat, friction, and air resistance, your engine will always have to invest a certain amount of energy to reach a certain speed, regardless of the speed at which it invests this energy.
Ah...but we all know that losses due to heat, friction, and air resistance cannot be ignored.
And speaking of friction, an internal combustion engine is full of it. This friction is due to the engine oil's dynamic viscosity which relates the shear stress(the shearing force acting on the oil per unit area), and the shear rate(the difference in velocity between the two surfaces divided by their separation).
Thus, one can easily see that when accelerating to speed at WOT and higher rpm's, the engine's internal friction increases to a higher level than at partial throttle and lower rpm's because of the increase in the oil's shear rate due to the higher velocity between the piston rings and the cylinder walls. And more friction = more fuel consumed.
And this also applies to all of the other rotating components in the vehicle - drivetrain(tranny, driveshaft, differential, rear axles), wheel bearings, alternator, water pump, pulleys, etc.

Quick Reply: BETTER GAS MILEAGE