Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

BETTER GAS MILEAGE

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 06:16 PM
teaberry

Default BETTER GAS MILEAGE

EXCEPT FOR THE OBVIOUS IN DRIVING TECHNICS. WHAT ADD ON CAN I PUT ON TO INCREASE GAS MILEAGE ON MY 06 GT.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:20 PM
BAMFstang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: BETTER GAS MILEAGE

Shut her off when going down hills.[sm=imsorry.gif]
Old 07-20-2006, 06:23 PM
jay00f4
2nd Gear Member

Buy a 4.0l instead
Old 07-20-2006, 06:23 PM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

my CAI and 91 octane tune made my gas mileage go up like 2 MPG's. you cant go wrong with the CAI + Tune with the performance and the gas milage. i know its minimal, only 2 MPG's but you asked what you can do to improve so im telling you.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:31 PM
stangmomasc
2nd Gear Member

avoid the LFS.....(Lead Foot Syndrome).......really hard to do I know......so try using the Cruise Control when possible......
Old 07-20-2006, 06:58 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: teaberry
EXCEPT FOR THE OBVIOUS IN DRIVING TECHNICS. WHAT ADD ON CAN I PUT ON TO INCREASE GAS MILEAGE ON MY 06 GT.
Short of a governer/restricter plate, I am afraid this is a double edged sword...

Many mods - cold air, Blower/TB increase mileage under normal circumstances as they increase the efficiency of combustion...

But, they also increase the efficiency to which fun is delivered to the driver and thus your mileage on a net basis goes down...

The Stang has a generally useless but interesting little "fuel efficiency" meter built into the dash...

I would suggest that you will save far more gas by frequently resetting your average MPG and watching the weenie-meter...

This is just not the right car if you are trying to save money on anything much less gas... (BTW - this site is horrible for the purposes of spending less money on your car - a few weeks reading this stuff and you will be convinced that a twin turbo 900HP engine does not seem all that rediculous for your 20 minute commute afterall)

P.S. BTW - it gets worse WRT to bolt-ons - many work better with higher-octane which throws savings out the window again if you have to pay 10-15% more per gallon...
Old 07-20-2006, 07:18 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

If you do mostly around town stop and go driving, then smooth driving is the key for getting good mpg, e.g., press down on the gas pedal like there's an egg between your foot and the pedal when accelerating from a stop, do not rev at high rpm's in lower gears, get into high gear ASAP, drive at a steady speed whenever possible, downshift only to maintain speed when going up a grade or when passing, and let up on the gas as early as possible when anticipating a stop.
If you do mostly level highway driving, then use the cruise control, and do not roll down the windows if traveling faster than 40 mph. But if there are a lot of steep grades, then drive without cruise control and downshift when necessary to maintain speed.
And for all driving conditions, maintain the recommended tire pressures, make sure the wheels are properly aligned, keep the engine in good tune(plugs, air filter, etc.), and use the A/C only when necessary.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:30 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ski
...press down on the gas pedal like there's an egg between your foot and the pedal when accelerating from a stop, do not rev at high rpm's in lower gears, get into high gear ASAP, drive at a steady speed whenever possible, downshift only to maintain speed when going up a grade or when passing, and let up on the gas as early as possible when anticipating a stop.
and do not roll down the windows if traveling faster than 40 mph. But if there are a lot of steep grades, then drive without cruise control and downshift when necessary to maintain speed.
If gambling on-line weren't illegal - I would suggesting setting up a pool to see who could actually accomplish this style of driving for the most number of miles... (starting in the tenths of a mile)

Post your comulative MPG number with picture of the dash and the one with the highest # gets a public spanking...

What you are describing is cruel and unusual punishment to both car and driver... I cannot condone such activities...

Before you spend a dime bolting anything on your car - do the math on what you save in gas and how long it will take to pay for the mod...

+1 on the above, if you must save gas - don't bother mucking with the car, just drive like its dad's ferrari and he doesn't know you took it to show it off...
Old 07-20-2006, 07:36 PM
emt4fire1951

The most fuel efficient add-on you could get is a Vespa. The stang will get great mileage sittin in the garage.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10996/5DC8838C6C214AD3949682B14BB7D73E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-20-2006, 07:53 PM
bchataroo
2nd Gear Member

The best way I have found to get better gas mileage is to leave the MPG meter up on your dash. After you step on it a few times and see 13MPG, you will drive better. I can average 10MPG on a tank of gas with both hwy and town driving. ( If I leave the MPG display up)

Later

Quick Reply: BETTER GAS MILEAGE