Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Redline Diff Oil >>>>> *.oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 08:25 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

Default Redline Diff Oil >>>>> *.oil

My diff, when warmed up, would click and grind and squeak and scare me like it was falling apart. I had my shop put in Redline oil and there is no noise whatsoever anymore. This is the best $47 investment I have ever made. I just thought I'd pass it on...if your aftermarket diff is grinding and sounding bad whenever you make a turn (ESP if you have an Auburn diff), give some Redline oil a try before you go replacing shlt.

on a side note, my MidwestAuto plenum cover came in today...and is major sexy!
Old 07-20-2006, 08:56 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Redline Diff Oil >>>>> *.oil

Redline is good stuff, their engine oils and greases are amazing. But I find that in the porsches that have transaxels prone to gear chatter their gear oil works for a while and then this out a bit after one season and the noise returns when the car is hot.

I now use swepco gear oil in the porsche and the clatter is gone and stays gone. Swepco is well known for their gear lube.

But I cant say that I have heard a peep out of the stangs diff so far.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:01 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

hmm - any equivalent miracle fluid recs for manual trans?
Old 07-20-2006, 09:35 PM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

Thats good. Oil makes a big difference esp on parts like gears where noise is such an issue. So what about pics of the plenum cover and grille???
Old 07-20-2006, 10:27 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Sleeper - If you want my recommendation from having owned 2 Auburn differentials, drain that oil NOW and rinse the diff with mineral spirits. Auburn stongly recomends against synthetic gear oils as it can and most likely will cause failure. I have had 2 Auburns fail on me and I will never use another.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:50 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Sleeper - If you want my recommendation from having owned 2 Auburn differentials, drain that oil NOW and rinse the diff with mineral spirits. Auburn stongly recomends against synthetic gear oils as it can and most likely will cause failure. I have had 2 Auburns fail on me and I will never use another.
I didnt realize you had an auburn diff sleeper. I would be very carefull as said above about the synthetic oils. OE difs seem to fair better with synthetics than the aftermarket diffs.

In mopars, many times people have had diff problems when using synthetics with auburn and other diffs. I would call auburn. Redline will always tell you it is OK. But most of the time aubun diffs need a nice standard oil with a bottle of limited slip additive.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:42 AM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: classj

I didnt realize you had an auburn diff sleeper. I would be very carefull as said above about the synthetic oils. OE difs seem to fair better with synthetics than the aftermarket diffs.

In mopars, many times people have had diff problems when using synthetics with auburn and other diffs. I would call auburn. Redline will always tell you it is OK. But most of the time aubun diffs need a nice standard oil with a bottle of limited slip additive.
i do not race my car hard. i was about to buy a whole new diff anyway, but the oil fixed the noise. if it causes a failure, then damn, i got a few months or years of use out of it for $50 that i would not of had otherwise. im not in a financial position to swap out the diff unless i have to anyway.

i appreciate the advice, however. and a side note: it DID have a nice standard oil and a bottle of limited slip additive...and the noise could be heard from almost half a block away. i will give auburn a call though and ask their recommendations. It's an auburn pro diff.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:47 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

That is exactly what I had both times Auburn Pro's.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:06 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I'm a Redline and a Tufoil fan. Changed my engine and 5 Spd. fluids out at 4.6k.

Use Redline "D4" in your trans, add a 10% mix of Tufoil. www.tufoil.com

I believe mine shifts better now.

ORIGINAL: cekim

Old 07-21-2006, 01:33 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: algregory
I'm a Redline and a Tufoil fan. Changed my engine and 5 Spd. fluids out at 4.6k.
Use Redline "D4" in your trans, add a 10% mix of Tufoil. www.tufoil.com
I believe mine shifts better now.
ORIGINAL: cekim
hmm, "most slippery substance known to man" (from their web site)...

That has me excited in all the wrong ways... []

Quick Reply: Redline Diff Oil >>>>> *.oil