Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Can I blow the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 05:54 PM
superiormirage
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Can I blow the engine?

ORIGINAL: ford4v429

something to add...

be careful downshifting too far- you can try to put it in first coasting off a highway exit, but you will stand a good chance of losing a foot.
forcing a downshift will cause the clutch disk to 'try' to spool up to the rpm needed to mesh the gears, but likely a synchroniser will get tore up(hopefully) and slip before the disc overspeeds and explodes. a clutch explosion might only do 'minor' damage(destroy clutch disk/throwout bearing/inputshaft bearings, etc)- unless the flywheel or pressure plate decide to join it- take a look at these pics:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/the...g_39267-3.html

Yeeeeouch. That looked seriously painfull to that poor Mustang. I feel bad for that guy.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:05 PM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ford4v429

something to add...

be careful downshifting too far- you can try to put it in first coasting off a highway exit, but you will stand a good chance of losing a foot.
forcing a downshift will cause the clutch disk to 'try' to spool up to the rpm needed to mesh the gears, but likely a synchroniser will get tore up(hopefully) and slip before the disc overspeeds and explodes. a clutch explosion might only do 'minor' damage(destroy clutch disk/throwout bearing/inputshaft bearings, etc)- unless the flywheel or pressure plate decide to join it- take a look at these pics:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/the...g_39267-3.html

Yes, that could happen.. but it still would be covered by Ford.. I worked on cars for over 20+ years I have about seen it all trust me.. it is all about customer satifaction.. which Ford wants to keep that number up.. why do you think they are always on TV saying .. best car 4 years in a row..????
because if you blow something up.. they (Ford) will cover it...!!!!!

JMO as I have seen it TO MANY times...!!!

Rex
Old 07-21-2006, 09:43 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

Let me clarify. I was behind a pickup doing roughly 25 mph in second gear. I downshifted into first gear and the rpm's where at roughly 4,000, i'm guessing there I just took a quick glance, someone I'm sure can tell me exactly. I floored it and the car started to go, but must have hit the rev limiter because it just seemed to quit accelerating. Realizing that I had exceeded the limits of first gear I quickly shifted to second(not that quick because I haven't gotten a short throw yet). I let the clutch out quick and was pinned against my head rest. I think I was more surprised than the guys in the pickup. I had been shifting out of first at around 4k when I was trying to get on it, from now on i'll shift at 5500 or so. When do you drag racers shift out of first? Or do you have a shift light on a tach that tells you when?

I'll be running it down the Gainesville dragstrip after I do a few mods.

ORIGINAL: cekim

ORIGINAL: GTlust

Thanks everyone. I didn't downshift and over rev it. It was sitting around 4,000rpms for a few seconds before I went to pass. It definately felt like the fuel was cut off right before I dropped it into second, after that it felt like someone shot me from a canon!
Well, now I am even more confused... [&:]

4K is nowhere near the redline...

The rev limiter kicks in by defaults somewhere around 6200 from what I have heard (I have shifted at 6100 from 3rd to 4th and no limiter in sight - not intending to do that, it wound up a litter faster than I planned).
Old 07-21-2006, 09:50 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

Hey, I came from a 99 ford ranger 2.5L 4 cyl. I couldn't blow that thing up if I tried. I actually ran it in the 1/4 one time and I think I had high 19's and that was shifting when there wasn't anything left in each gear. I used to ride my motorcycles like I stole them, but this car is different. This is my baby!

ORIGINAL: doodad

dont worry about it dude.. you wont blow your engine even if you redline everyday! if you keep your car on red line and stay there for minutes of minutes then yeah you will damage too your engine, otherwise just going to 6k rpm and and change gears is fine.. also, you are driving a mustang not grand caravan!
Old 07-21-2006, 11:36 PM
Cobrakev
3rd Gear Member

The rev-limiter kicks in at 6250 rpm's no matter how you reach the 6250.

Kev
Old 07-21-2006, 11:55 PM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

Can you blow your engine - certainly
did you - certainly not
Old 07-22-2006, 12:06 AM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

If you passed someone in your neighborhood in a 35 MPH zone, you deserve to blow your engine.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:29 AM
GT06GT
2nd Gear Member

If you passed someone in your neighborhood in a 35 MPH zone, you deserve to blow your engine.
If you actually read the post...

I went to pass someone in my neighborhood because they were doing 20 in a 35 and driving me insane
15mph under, you could pass them doing 5 under the speed limit, and wheres the danger in passing someone at 30mph 5 under the speed limit?

Old 07-22-2006, 12:53 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Sounds like you dropped the clutch and didnt let off the gas while you were shifting ... and while I dont have a manual, most people say they shift at about 5.9k - 6.2k depending on whether theyre tuned or not
Old 07-22-2006, 01:14 AM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

15mph under, you could pass them doing 5 under the speed limit, and wheres the danger in passing someone at 30mph 5 under the speed limit?
It was indicated it was a neighborhood road. I am assuming that means that it is not striped and divided, and has driveways and kids accessing it from all directions. Don't know about you, but when I'm driving in my neighborhood, their isn't room for two cars to pass going in opposite directions, cars parked on both sides. I drive 15 MPH, yes, I know the speed limit is 25, but I'm really crazy about idiots backing out in front of me and kids riding bikes out from behind parked cars and all that nonsense. But maybe that's just me.

And if all that had to be done was to get to 30 MPH, how the hell could you blow the engine anyway? The answer to that should be interesting.

Quick Reply: Can I blow the engine?