Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Highway drivers with Borla Stingers/FRPP...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 12:11 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Default Highway drivers with Borla Stingers/FRPP...

I am so torn between the Borla and Corsa. I haven't heard either in person, but from everything I've read, the Borlas are louder but have drone, Corsa's less aggressive sound but no drone. Most of my driving is highway - 55-75 mph, around 2000 rpm. That's drone territory from what I've read. Anyone out there with Borlas who does mostly this type of driving? How's the drone - bearable or excruciating?
Old 07-22-2006, 01:42 PM
BlackPhantomGT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Highway drivers with Borla Stingers/FRPP...

Bearable.

I do mostly freeway/highway driving 70-80mph 20 miles at a time. I actually like it. Doesnt let you forget what you're driving. Try the Borlas. If you don't like 'em, you can find a buyer easier than I think you would for the Corsa's. I almost went with the Corsa's. I loved the sound. But didn't like the price. So i got the Flowmasters and got the drone. I got so used to the drone and began to like it. I had them for 3 months then I heard the Borlas and they were on the car within a week. I'm really happy with them.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:55 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

I drive 30 miles round trip or better every day with my stingers and its just fine to me. After 65 in 5th or 2100 rpm or so the drone disappears. Overall its not loud enough a seeing how I just discovered that New Mexico has no emissions testing I'm getting an O/R H-pipe until I can stack some dough for a L/T setup.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:01 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Very Bearable. The loudest drone appears at the 2k RPM range under light acceleration during 1,2,3 gears once you are on the Hwy cruising it is much less noticeable.

Richard
Old 07-22-2006, 06:58 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

My old setup consisted of O/R H-pipe & SLP Loudmouths... and cruising at 65-70mph sounded awesome... No need to remind yourself what you were driving, and any car within a 5 length radius needed reminding either! It was great. Sadly I needed some backpressure and some unwanted attention from the law was coming down on me... So, I threw some resonators on there and it's not as loud, still some ugly break up in tones at different RPMs but not as much, and it's a lot deeper.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:10 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

I love my Borla's at any speed! Wouldn't trade them for anything.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:51 PM
CTE
1st Gear Member

What has been said about the drone at about 2K is correct, but it doesn't last long as you arenormally past it. If you dwell on it it will bug you, but I agree it lets you know you are driving something special. Love the sound and I get MANY compliments on how the car sounds.

Even in teh heat of teh day, I'll put the window down so I can hear them, and the AC blowing air on mt at setting 3-4

I'd go woth the Borlas,

CTE aka Scubadog...
Old 07-22-2006, 08:02 PM
Rock36
2nd Gear Member

The drone is bearable in my opinion. I like the drone actually, but as long as you aren't trying to accelerate from 45-60 in 5th gear you should be good. Otherwise I am happy with them.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:11 AM
Black2007
1st Gear Member

I find that the FRPP axle backs on my '07 Auto/Convertible are just fine. At +60 mph, you will hear the car's exhaust note and it is certainly apparent more than the stock setup. I notice a "drone" more as the car shifts through the gears getting to the cruise RPM/speed in overdrive. A solution to the issue is simply this, in the $$$ for impact analysis..Borla/FRPP is the choice...IMO, not because I own them, because they are just a darn nice product and have the "Ford Racing" on the 3 1/2" tips. They fit like a glove too.

Old 07-23-2006, 04:55 AM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

I think I know this answer but Axel backs do not require a tune correct?

Quick Reply: Highway drivers with Borla Stingers/FRPP...