Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Top speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 11:18 AM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Top speed of 3rd gear?

screamingyellow----thats sounds like it might be it! I dd feel a kinda hesitation thing going. Thats what I ment by a bog down feel/sound.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:24 AM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

d-man Dunno, kinda hard to remember but if I had to guess I would say yes I was cruizin at that speed and dropped into 3rd but I got no breaking feeling. No issues after that. I guess I will have to keep an eye out for it. What is "TSB"?

Thanks to everyones input here. Very weird feeling when it happened. So we will see if it happens again.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:14 PM
d_man777
1st Gear Member

Technical Service Bulletin. TSB 06-9-9 HESITATION ON ACCELERATION AFTER LONG CRUISE

The problem is that when cruising at a constant speed for a while, bubbles form at the top of the tank. When you jump on it, they get sucked into the intake depriving the engine of fuel. They have a new pump and sending unit that fixes the problem. There's another thread here with a link to the TSB. I took a copy of it with me to the dealer, but just described the problem and let them figure it out. I've heard that they will only do it if you have the problem, not just because you know there's a TSB.

Later
Old 07-23-2006, 02:37 PM
doodad
5th Gear Member

cekim, 2 days ago l hit 110 on 3rd gear.. l dont know which rpm l was in but the car wasnt screaming like on 6k rpm. when l stopped accelrating the car was on 107-8 mph. and this car is brand new and l do have rev limiter..
Old 07-23-2006, 04:55 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

I was recently traveling in cruise control at 70 mph for 50 miles, d/s from 5th to 3rd, floored it, and felt 2 consecutive momentary hesitations. Same thing happened once when traveling without cruise control at 40 mph in 4th, d/s to 2nd, and floored it.
Got a single hesitation when traveling in cruise control at 70 mph for 50 miles, exited the highway, came to a stop, and floored it in 1st. Same thing, but this time just slowed down, and floored it in 2nd(Also happened in 3rd).
The car is going to the dealer for a fuel pump replacement on Tues.
I'll report back on how it runs afterwards.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:06 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: doodad
cekim, 2 days ago l hit 110 on 3rd gear.. l dont know which rpm l was in but the car wasnt screaming like on 6k rpm. when l stopped accelrating the car was on 107-8 mph. and this car is brand new and l do have rev limiter..
Well, the rev limiter is not a precise instrument and from what I have heard/observed about this one is that it is somewhat more subltle than some...

Some rev limiters drop spark all-together and make a very distintive "miss" sound...

I get the impression from what I have seen at those speeds and read here that this rev limiter starts attacking engine speed a little more subtly since it can reduce advance on spark, pull back the cam and even throttle back with ease...

It would have to fight the tires keeping the RPMS up - I does not push the clutch for you.

So, 107-110 is a pretty small range - not surprised about that...

However, if you were at 110 in 3rd, I don't see how you could NOT be "screaming" at around 6K... The ratios aren't negotiable It may have already started pulling back on the torque (as mentioned above), so it would not sound quite as mean, but it would still sound wound up...
Old 07-23-2006, 05:11 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

I am calling my dealer Monday first thing to see if they can replace this for me. Its a pain taking the cai off and tunning back to stock but you gotta do what ya gotta do. I will post what they say when I call them.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:13 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

My 3rd gear = around 115 mph @5750rpm/6000rpm. As for your 05/06 the rev limiter cuts fuel. As for downshifting into too low fo a gear, DONT DO IT. You WILL over rev and cause MAJOR engine damage, to the point where the whole engine will be junk and unrebuildable. That would be a VERY costly mistake. I recommend you go to redline in almost every gear so you know what max speed is at what RPM. That will help you get to know your car.
-P.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:21 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: P Zero
I recommend you go to redline in almost every gear so you know what max speed is at what RPM. That will help you get to know your car.
4th is nearly impossible and 5th is impossible, so that leaves 1-2-3 of which 3rd requires over 100MPH, so "almost every gear" would be something of an exageration, but "get[ting] to know your car" is good advice... This is not the 1980's F-body I last drove!
Old 07-23-2006, 05:30 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Dont know how to delete this one, I posted it twice. My mistake. Moderator?

Quick Reply: Top speed