Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What octane to use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 04:34 PM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

Location: Raised in Chicago; living near St. Louis in Troy, IL
Default What octane to use?

There may be a thread already started about this but I don't see one, so sorry if there is. I'm curious what the common thoughts are on using higher octane in the '06 GT and hope you'll oblige with your opinions....expert or not. In every car I've ever owned, the manuals always "recommend" using 87 octane...but I've ALWAYS used 92-93 octane for the added benefits and have had zero problems with it. However, the owners manual for my GT seems to read pretty adamantly in favor of using ONLY 87 octane, basically saying that's what the engine is designed for and there's no need to upgrade. I'm no gas expert but, despite what the manual says, I can't imagine that running 92 octane in it would be a bad thing! I haven't tried it yet though (the old "just in case paranoia"), and before I do, I'd like to know your opinions -- stay 87 as recommended or go 92 and keep the injectors clean(er)? And thanks!
Old 07-24-2006, 04:40 PM
darkfact
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What octane to use?

i'm no gas expert either but from what i've read there's no real benefit to using higher octane fuel. if you're stock 87 should be just as good as 91/93, but if you've done some engine mods then normally a 93 octane retune will give you some benefit.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:43 PM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: darkfact

i'm no gas expert either but from what i've read there's no real benefit to using higher octane fuel. if you're stock 87 should be just as good as 91/93, but if you've done some engine mods then normally a 93 octane retune will give you some benefit.
I should have added that my car is still completely stock -- no changes at all yet (well, except tinting [8D]).
Old 07-24-2006, 05:05 PM
darkfact
2nd Gear Member

yeah mine is still stock too until i gather more funds up. from the various threads i've read everyone just says use 87 (maybe someone can elaborate further as to specifically why). i plan on doing some engine mods closer to the holidays and will get a 93 tune then.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:05 PM
joelgertner

If you are "stock" use 87 as per ford. 87 is what ford has your motor tuned at. Using any higher octane is NOT going to provide any benefit= other than throwing $$$ away. Do a search there has been numerous posts on this subject that goes in detail on why it is not necessary to run higher octane in a stock car.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:10 PM
slowpozer
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: joelgertner

If you are "stock" use 87 as per ford. 87 is what ford has your motor tuned at. Using any higher octane is NOT going to provide any benefit= other than throwing $$$ away. Do a search there has been numerous posts on this subject that goes in detail on why it is not necessary to run higher octane in a stock car.
exactly. Those of us using higher octane have tunes for that octane. Don't waste your money.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:44 PM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

If your stock with NO performance program then 87 octane ONLY!!!!

Using 89, 91, 93 or any other higher octane will do absolutely NOTHING for you. Your car will NOT run cleaner, your car will NOT in any way shape or form gain any horsepower and with today’s computerized and factory tuned vehicles you could actually do some damage, or at the very least, LOSE horsepower and torque using a higher octane.

Today, computerized and factory tuned vehicles mean’s vehicles since the mid 80’s so it’s nothing new for 2005 – 2007 Mustangs.

Your factory tuned vehicle is designed with specific type of plugs with a specific heat range and gap which are all related to the octane that has been designed into the computer program.

Let’s not forget TIMING is the biggest reason for the recommend octane from a factory stock vehicle.

When you spend the big money for a “tune” what you’re really paying for is the tuner to modify the factory timing and A/F ratios. That’s not a bad thing because that is one way you can make horsepower and that is exactly what a “tuner” does. When their performance programs recommend 89, 91 or 93 octane, or for that matter race fuel it is NOT the fuel that makes more horsepower but the modifications they make to the timing and fuel tables.

There is nothing magic about higher octane, it does NOT contain more or better cleaners for the fuel system and it in NO way makes more horsepower.

What higher octane actually accomplishes is the ability to better control engine knock, or per-ignition. It is basically a cooler burning, more controlled flame front fuel, very vague explanation but that is ALL it basically does. Since it can do that it allows you to run more timing and/or run a little leaner, another way of making more horsepower.

Your “serious” racing “tuned” programs is just that, more timing and running leaner which together give you a good boost of horsepower but not great for a daily driver, fine for the weekend race track, but not the back and forth to work during the week.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:42 AM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

Great info guys. I appreciate you taking the time to set me straight. I knew about the tuner part of the issue but wasn't sure if the higher octane would make a difference for me (stock) or not, but it sounds like it won't soooooooo, I'm gonna save the extra $2.50 or so per fillup instead. Thanks!
Old 07-25-2006, 02:39 AM
LAK3RS
2nd Gear Member

I'm using 93 on my stock GT, Is it gonna hurt it at all.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:49 AM
darkfact
2nd Gear Member

read sonic boom's post above

Quick Reply: What octane to use?