Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Why return to stock?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 04:57 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Default Why return to stock?

I am scheduled to go into my dealer to get the fuel pump replaced via the TSB Tuesday 7/25 and I started thinking about how everyone says they retune back to stock with the cai when going in for service.

I understand that people are worried about the dealer voiding their warranty or something. I get that, although I disagree that they can do that unless it can be proven as FACT that the cai caused a problem. But why is it that no ones switches back the stock springs etc, when going in for service? Could'nt they say the lowering caused a problem that has voided the warranty as well?

What about after market wheel/tires?
What about short throw shifters?
Brakes/Calipers?
Exhaust?

My point is this, why does the focus only seem to be on the cai when it comes to service on our cars and not any of the many other mods, not to mention turbos and S Charges? And why does no one talk about switching those items back.

I am thinking about this because as I mentioned my car goes into the shop on Tuesday and I'm thinking should I even bother going back to stock before I show up. My cai has nothing to do with the sometimes hesitation problem as mentioned in another one of these post so way should I take the cai off? I guess because anyone can be a *ick and that is probably the reason you guys will say return to stock just incase some jerk there wants to press the issue about my cai. My service guy has always been cool with me and I guess I could ask him about it but if I ask him about my cai and it being an issue then wont he know that I have one anyway even if its off?

I dunno guys, seems like a hastle to me to have to do this. Well if you guys could reply quickly 4 me I would like to call my service guy by 4:45 to ask him OR Not depending on what you say...

Thanks guys,

Old 07-24-2006, 05:19 PM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Why return to stock?

Don't worry about it. They can't void your warranty. The hassle is not worth it.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:29 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

Generally speaking, I would aggree -if you are going in to have something unrelated fixed, then don't bother...

In your case though, it complicates things...

Like it or not, the CAI could case trouble...

It'll be a good test of your dealer, but if you don't want to "test" your dealer, then in this specific case (where you have mucked around with the Air/Fuel system and you are there to get the Air/Fuel system fixed), then pull it off...

P.S. the reason no one bothers to discuss the merrits of removing a turbo or SC is that:
a. wow what a pain - no way are you going to spend 8-12 hours on that
b. in many cases you can't really go back...

The CAI is easy to remove and once removed the car really is right back where you started...

With a Turbo or SC, you have broken/replaced gaskets, mucked with the exaust, changed plugs, belts, pulleys, etc...
Old 07-24-2006, 05:32 PM
localgod11
2nd Gear Member

Anytime you mess with the computer they could try and pull out well this didnt work bc the computer is messed up and its your fault and reflashing the comp is MUCH easier than pulling off the springs!!
Old 07-24-2006, 05:35 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

The other thing to consider with CAI's is the fact that MOST aftermarket Air intakes are really not Cold Air Intakes. They take air in from the engine bay which is actually detrimental to the engine because it is warmer/hotter than the air outside.

Now if the CAI really does take in air from the fenderwell or somewhere else I could see it being less of an issue.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:39 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00
The other thing to consider with CAI's is the fact that MOST aftermarket Air intakes are really not Cold Air Intakes. They take air in from the engine bay which is actually detrimental to the engine because it is warmer/hotter than the air outside.
Now if the CAI really does take in air from the fenderwell or somewhere else I could see it being less of an issue.
DUCK! - GRENADE!
Old 07-24-2006, 05:50 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Well, td1320 i think I am going with your idea....

loalgod11--I hear you, but since my particular issue (TSB06-9-9) Is a known issue with 05/06 stangs I dont see how they could try to pull this card. Do you?

Cekim-- So in my case with the TSB06-9-9 does this fall into that catogory of "if you are going in to have something unrelated fixed, then don't bother"? My question is now, if I go with your thoughts and "test" the dealer what do I do if they bark? Get in there face about the details of the TSB and how the problem happened without the cai installed however I was not aware it was anything else but bad gas or something since FORD did not send out notices to owners? How exactly do I handle the next move if they try to say something about the cai? What would you then suggest? I really think this is going to be a test for them because I am a push me and I push back kinda guy and the more I thought about this the more angry I got. I was like, I spend 30K (rounding up) on a car and these jerks want to tell me what I can or cant do to it? screw them its my car screw um!!

Derfoo---No the C&L does not take in colder air from another place so it would fall into that area of warmer air. After reading my replies above would you guys answer ( in addition to anything else you want to say) yes test them, or no dont test them.. I will do what I feel in the end I know but I want a feel what the majaority would do ya know?

Waiting 2 hear back from u...
Old 07-24-2006, 06:03 PM
Newbreedgt05
3rd Gear Member

The CAI is usually not the problem. The tune is what causes most of the problems. In your case, it probably won't matter. But, I would probably still return the tune to stock since it doesn't take a lot of work. It is better if they don't know you have a tune cause it will be documented. It could cause a problem farther down the road if you take in for some other repair that could have been caused by the tune.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:09 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Yeah newbread but if I return to stock tune then I gotta swap the cai and I just dont feel like it. Man this sucks. I will sleep on it over night...
Old 07-24-2006, 06:10 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

Cekim-- So in my case with the TSB06-9-9 does this fall into that catogory of "if you are going in to have something unrelated fixed, then don't bother"?
Well, that was my point - from the dealer's perspective he is looking at a car that is showing fuel/throttle problems...

TSB or not, anyone trying to debug that wants to limit variables and reprogramming a computer that can make your engine run like a honda civic if it wanted to.

Law or no law, even an honest repair guy, would have a hard time eliminating the possibility that random tuner company did not screw up...

TSBs (unless I am horribly misinformed) are not usually treated like a recall.

They are generally info to the dealer to say:
If you see X (after all the normal diagnostics), then replace Y and we'll cover it because we see it happening a lot and ok, we might have F'ed up here.

That is not the same as "replace Y NOW" (aka Recall)

Note the "after all the normal diagnostics" - which includes "is the PCM correctly programmed with the factory provided setup" ;-)

My question is now, if I go with your thoughts and "test" the dealer what do I do if they bark?
Your options are pretty simple:
1. push back as you say - make them understand that you won't roll over, others will hear about it yada,yada, bluster,bluster
2. find another dealer
3. come back with the car restored to original condition and tell him - "now fix it mother!@#$er"

As I am sure many will post - the law does not allow them to "void" your warranty - but that, in many respects is not what is at issue here...

The question is whether your car conforms to the conditions to the TSB describes and if so, it is repaired...

If it is reasonable to avoid the hassle, then I personally would do it...

If you want to find out of you have one of those cool/mythical cooperative dealers, then leave it on...

If it isn't reasonable to pull of a supercharger/injectors/headers/fuel pump augmentation/springs/LCA's etc, then get ready to fight...

Quick Reply: Why return to stock?