Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Redline Water Wetter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 04:41 PM
2006gtstick
1st Gear Member

Default Redline Water Wetter?

Just wondering if anyone has tried the Redline Water Wetter for the radiator? I just visited Redline's website and they say this product will reduce the engine's operating temperature by up to 30 degrees. I don't know much about engines but it seems to me that when my car temp. is cool it has more power, so why not lower the engine's temp. Any down side to using this product? Any advice would be helpful.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:54 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Redline Water Wetter?

I've used it in the past, mixed with water only in my 5liter. I know Ford uses a funky coolant now, so I would check it out in detail before dumping it in. As far as 30 degress cooler - that is total b.s. Your engine will make more power at lower internal temps, but the intake air temperature and density makes a difference as well. Unfortunately, more so with these cars thatn any other - no horsepower is free. A bottle of pink stuff aint gonna make your car faster
Old 07-25-2006, 05:20 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

I've used it in the past, mixed with water only in my 5liter. I know Ford uses a funky coolant now, so I would check it out in detail before dumping it in. As far as 30 degress cooler - that is total b.s. Your engine will make more power at lower internal temps, but the intake air temperature and density makes a difference as well. Unfortunately, more so with these cars thatn any other - no horsepower is free. A bottle of pink stuff aint gonna make your car faster
Perhaps not, but it cures diarrhea pretty well so maybe it's worth a shot? [sm=roll.gif]
Old 07-25-2006, 05:45 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FuriousGeorge
Perhaps not, but it cures diarrhea pretty well so maybe it's worth a shot? [sm=roll.gif]
Stupid question - if you lower your engine temp by that amount - shouldn't the thermostat kick in and warm right back up?

Let's just call that a rhetorical question... [8D]

If you live somewhere REALLY hot - AZ/NV/TX/FL (in no particular order), then you might consider this stuff, but not for the purposes of power...

P.S. as always this is just my BSHO
Old 07-25-2006, 06:09 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cekim

Stupid question - if you lower your engine temp by that amount - shouldn't the thermostat kick in and warm right back up?

Let's just call that a rhetorical question... [8D]

If you live somewhere REALLY hot - AZ/NV/TX/FL (in no particular order), then you might consider this stuff, but not for the purposes of power...

P.S. as always this is just my BSHO
ROFL, I moved from AZ to NV about 6 months ago...I'd better break out the Pepto.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:13 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cekim
ROFL, I moved from AZ to NV about 6 months ago...I'd better break out the Pepto.
What's that "out of the frying pan into the fire"? On the bright side, they have some really cool road races out your way...

And appearently the police are somewhat forgiving...

P.S. fond memories of the family car breaking down in the middle of sandstorm out there (not one of those windy days in the desert - I am talking all out wall of dirt coming at you tornado style...) good times... To this day the small of stale/leaking radiator fluid makes me cringe...
Old 07-25-2006, 06:28 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

What's that "out of the frying pan into the fire"? On the bright side, they have some really cool road races out your way...
Yeah, pretty much what you said. On a funny unrelated note, my license plate says WTFPWND which is a nerdy way of saying "you got owned" ('what the f*** pwned' to be more exact). When you are at the DMV getting a personalized license plate in NV, they make you explain what your preference means in writing to be reviewed by some commitee. So the lady asked me what I could hide that definition with and after a moment's thought my response was "Want To Find Place With No Desert". She looked at my former AZ drivers license and we both had a good laugh.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:00 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

Yeah, pretty much what you said. On a funny unrelated note, my license plate says WTFPWND which is a nerdy way of saying "you got owned" ('what the f*** pwned' to be more exact). When you are at the DMV getting a personalized license plate in NV, they make you explain what your preference means in writing to be reviewed by some commitee. So the lady asked me what I could hide that definition with and after a moment's thought my response was "Want To Find Place With No Desert". She looked at my former AZ drivers license and we both had a good laugh.
that is the single funniest thing i have heard in months. oh...my...god...

OT much?
Old 07-25-2006, 07:15 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Water Wetter works very well.

But, as cekim said, the thermostat will simply kick in and close off the water flow, so the net temperature of your engine will be the same.

Water Wetter is really intended for all-out situations where you don't run a thermostat. It is also useful whenever your current cooling system is mariginally coping with your cooling needs (In other words, the thermostat is full open and the engine still isn't cool enough)
Old 07-25-2006, 07:17 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sleeper05
OT much?
I might be tired or just mostly retarded, but what does OT mean in here?

Quick Reply: Redline Water Wetter?