Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

nitrous track times

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 01:10 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: nitrous track times

Sleeper - first of all you have a JLT intake and I have a K&N

second of all you are ignorant/il-informed (not to be rude) - check the big magazine article that everyone refers to when the CAI subject comes up. K&N claims a 15hp increase with NO TUNE. the magazine was surprised when their test resulted in 18 hp with NO TUNE. how bout them apples? they added a tune and only gained 3 more hp

thirdly - unlike with a supercharger, the Zex kit comes with it's own fuel management unit which distributes fuel as required. with a supercharger it's bigger injectors and the rest is up to the computer. therefore the Zex kit can be run without a tune

fourth - i fully realize the potential of a tune. i also fully realize the ramifications when the dealer sees a flash date on my computer. i have a 5 year/75000 mile warranty that i intend to keep. the Zex kit can be easily removed. at only a 75hp shot w/ it's own added fuel delivery, the engine will be plenty safe. i am only concerned with the level of performance anyone with that system has seen.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:34 AM
ren274u
3rd Gear Member

Get a tune, my buddy runs a 75 shot on the same tune, its a custom tune of course. I wouldnt use a online order tune for nitrous.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:00 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

that's just it - im not avoiding a nitrous tune. im avoiding ANY tune.

it's like this - as long as i dont play with the computer my service writer will leave me alone. i can quickly remove the nitrous system to take the car to the dealer for warranty repair - i cant hide a re-flash.

tuner - 400 bucks - 25hp - void my warranty

nitrous - 600 bucks - 75 hp - no tune - dealer doesnt bust my chops

bang for the buck , i think nitrous n no tune is better
Old 07-28-2006, 12:36 PM
dkano
3rd Gear Member

I think you should probably talk to Zex and ask them if they recommend running the 75 kit on the new Mustangs without a tune. The first time I took my car to the dealer (it was actually for the 5K service) I was talking to one of the guys in the service dept. and he told me they had a Mustang in the shop with a blown engine because the owner put a nitrous kit on it. Not sure if the kit on that car was just not installed properly or the owner put a huge kit on it, like 150 or something, just think you should talk to them first and see if they feel safe recommending it, without a tune.
I've thought about the Zex kit, don't mind getting the tune 'cause I know the tech that works on my car and he wouldn't give me a hard time for having the computer flashed, he knows it's been flashed already. Just think if I get a nitrous kit I'll get addicted to it! (will probably end up blowing something up sooner or later)
Old 07-28-2006, 12:54 PM
ren274u
3rd Gear Member

Put the kit on and put it on a dyno, check all the ratios if good keep, if not sell to someone. But i dont know why people want to make their car faster and are scared to b/c of warranty. Unless what you do directly causes the problem, they cannot refuse to fix it. Become good friends with the guys there and youll have no problem. Also has anyone actually confirmed that they can tell if you reflashed?
Old 07-28-2006, 01:18 PM
rotorr22
1st Gear Member

I have wrestled with the idea of using nitrous on the street for quite a while. It is cheap and an incredible bang for the buck. Unfortunately, you have to run 93 octane all the time and keep the ignition timing at stock or less than stock levels, even when you are not spraying. One never knows when you are going to need to hit it. Most supercharged or nitrous injected cars also have to run a colder plug. This may be OK when you are using nitrous, but what effect will it have on starting and driveability when you are not spraying?

There are a multitude of tuners offering superchargers or CAI/tune packages. On paper, a nitrous injection kit, pulleys and a CAI with a tune looks like a pretty cost effective performance package. Now the question looms. Why aren't any of the performance shops/tuners pushing it?
Old 07-28-2006, 02:48 PM
nbk13nw
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ren274u

Put the kit on and put it on a dyno, check all the ratios if good keep, if not sell to someone. But i dont know why people want to make their car faster and are scared to b/c of warranty. Unless what you do directly causes the problem, they cannot refuse to fix it. Become good friends with the guys there and youll have no problem. Also has anyone actually confirmed that they can tell if you reflashed?
My dealer is pretty cool. No issues with my mods as long as they cannot be tied to a failure. THey relaced my rear end last year with no qualms what so ever. ALso, the SM told me that if you remove the mods and flash back to factory they cannot tell if it was ever changed.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:20 PM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

You don't want to flash your computer??????

Some guys never cease to amaze me. Listen, if you are so concerned with money - THEN DON'T MOD YOUR CAR AT ALL!! There is a certain amount of risk you are taking when you start questing for more power and you should be comfortable with those risks. Anyone who tells you there is NO risk is lying to you.

#1 - anyone who knows ANYTHING about these cars will tell you that proper tuning is the single most important factor when making power. Tuning is what keeps your car from blowing up 98% of the time with a power adder.

75 hp at the track? What a waste. First of all, if you squeeze of the line you will not hook up on street tires, and if you don't want to shell out the money for a tune, you porbably won't like shelling out the money for rims & dr's. Unless you're fairly expereinced, you will have a harder time figuring out where to hit and release the shot to make it the most effective. If you are cheap then you probably won't want to shell out the dough for an electronic window switch which means you'll probably screw your car within 10 passes.

I'm not attacking you but I cannot stress enough that you have to pay to play and there are ALWAYS risks. I know it gets hard sometimes cause you come in here and read all this mod stuff that some people are claiming to do and power they are claiming to make and it gets addicting cause when you drive the stang, you can feel she wants to go faster. The car loves mods, no doubt but just be careful and try to be realistic with your goals and your expectations. You know what you can afford, so stay within your boundries.

The car is an awesome car stock and you should be happy. If you blow a motor and don't have serious $$$ laying around to rebuild, you will be very sorry. If you really want to know what the absolute best mod for your car is for the money - GETTING A GOOD TUNER TO WORK ON YOUR CAR....PERIOD!
Old 07-28-2006, 09:07 PM
RW06stang
1st Gear Member

RodeoFlyer

I run a 75 shot WITH stock plugs and the 93 Predator performance tune. Most people will tell you not to do this because the 93 tune bumps up your timming a little. I have been doing this for about 10 or 12 bottles now and not 1 problem. So if you want to run the 75 shot without any tune, then Zex and I say you will be running safer then me.

[IMG]local://upfiles/33407/52D84D12E09F4579B752FEAC33499357.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/33407/FB3AEAD3574B4FABB4A2BF08340DB25A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/33407/D314F0F2C38343DCAA2A0E252A924D31.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-29-2006, 01:50 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

if you are not going to have it tuned then stick to no more than the 75hp jets and buy an air/fuel saftey switch. this will cut off the nitrous in the event you a/f goes to high and save your engine. also i'd get a wide band a/f sensor and gauge so you can monitor it while spraying. look at dyno tune nitrous systems. they have the a/f gauges and saftey switches. this is the setup i'm going with but i will have mine tuned since i'm going to run as much as i can get

Quick Reply: nitrous track times