Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Project Car idea

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 04:07 PM
Aurelius

Default Project Car idea

Alright, I was driving home yesterday thinking about the GT500. Well I started thinking about doing a project car, a custom one off Mustang. Something special, to me at least.

I want to start with an s197 body, and build a good street drivable "enthusiast's" car, in the vein of the GT500. I'm not looking to make nearly that much power, honestly. I've been considering building it off the 2005+ V8 motor. I want it to move when you stomp it, it should make more power than a stock V8. I know I want to go the F/I route, but I haven't decided turbo or supercharger yet. Also, I have no idea what to replace suspensionwise. I like a cornering car, but I realize that the weight of the Mustang makes that a little harder than trying to corner a ricebox.

I have limited knowledge of car mechanics, basics mostly but I have friends who are mechanics.

This leads me up to my actual questions:

1. Where should I look (besides these forums) for primers and information on what parts and such I should be looking for. I want you to help me arm myself with the right knowledge.
2. Any suggestions on anything? I'm aware it won't be cheap. I don't intend to do it all this year, or next, or even the next. Heck, I'll probably have to pay off the new V6 first, but it never hurts to start planning now.

Thanks for all your help in advance. I know I'm still new here, so feel free to correct me if I make wrong assumptions.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:53 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Project Car idea

Sounds like you just want to buy a MGT, drop on a blower, and put some new suspension on it...if thats what youre wanting youll be making probably close to 425 hp, on a v8 (thats what you wanted) and youll have new suspension..

HOWEVER if you really wanted to customize everything.. Im sure you could get a cheap 05 V6 used, pull the motor, buy a V8 MGT motor (or even a GT motor if you have the cash and want real power) drop that in and then change the suspension around to your liking.. then if you need the FI you could still do that..
Old 07-29-2006, 05:48 PM
lukoi66
2nd Gear Member

Aurelius I've been doing much the same thing, asking questions and looking into old threads. These guys around here know their stuff and the sponsors (like Brenspeed) often participate in modification discussions as well.

With just a 450rwhp with a SC is definitely in reach but you've got to take into consideration that the consensus is there is a threshhold of about 425rwhp on the 3v 4.6L before you risk a serious chance of blowing it out. After 425rwhp, I'd recommend forged internals (pistons/rods) to help prevent that. In fact I'm going a very similar route.

There are so many ways to add horsepower to these cars and so many great ways to modify, that I'm sure you'll find a ton of into.

So far the TUNE seems to be your best modification outside of a SC. Also the car benefits greatly from some minor suspension work (Panhard Brace, Bar, some lowering springs, Rear LCA all together you could get for 600 or less just to name a few of the popular basics), in helping it handle and in helping it put the HP on the ground for you.

I think you definitely need to look at what you want your endstate to be. Is this a daily driver? Do you want it to be a street racer? How often do you want to hit the track? Is it meant to be purely a track racer? How much are you willing to "build up" the engine to keep it safe from the HP you're going to add? It all makes a difference. Once you get a vision of where you wanna take it, the folks on this board will definitely be able to point you in the right direction. I can honestly say the information I've gotten from these guys has been spot on and has helped me set up my plan with technicians for my future work on the car. In fact I'm just waiting on some price checks/time requirements from 3 shops to determine what I'm doing with the car when I get home in 51 days

Good luck and have fun!
Old 07-29-2006, 07:23 PM
Aurelius

Thanks for the replies, you have given me things to think about.

My target hp is 400ish. To be brutally honest, I'd be happy with 350rwhp. I'm not a track racer, I rarely ever run the car stoplight to stoplight. I just want the power there so that when I do push the car, it gets up and goes. I see the car as a stylish street ride with some power on tap. I wouldn't drive it every day.

Rebuilding a V6 is pretty much what I had in mind, I think. It's a good idea. I need a (second) Mustang for this project, as my '06 V6 is going to stay mostly stock as my daily driver. If it takes long enough that I'm in the market to replace my V6, perhaps I'll use it as the guinea pig, so to speak.

I'm also shopping around for exterior mods, stuff I can do to make the car stand out. I'd love a link to the GT500 hoods, I'd like to see what they look like.

Again, thanks for the replies.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:33 PM
mikefan20
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aurelius

I'm also shopping around for exterior mods, stuff I can do to make the car stand out. I'd love a link to the GT500 hoods, I'd like to see what they look like.

Again, thanks for the replies.
+1 on the GT500 hoods, I think they are mean looking.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:29 PM
thecarphotoguy1

I think you'd be money ahead to just get a 5-speed 05 GT and if you will get some good low profile tires & wheels I think you will be amazed at how the thing will corner and accelerate! I've done a few mods to my 05 along those lines (yes, it is a Roush, but it is still a Mustang). C&L Cold Air Intake and Diablo Preditor Tune did help and we are putting on Stainless Cook Headers & X-pipe next week (but these are more $$ than you really need). I've got a 175 NEX NOS Kit and it will give it a kick, but I may do a ProCharger anyway!