Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Suction side of the A/C location ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 03:50 PM
bcc333
1st Gear Member

Default Suction side of the A/C location ?

Now can somebody post a picture or a real good description of the location Suction side of the A/C for the 134A Freon? Thanks
Old 08-03-2006, 11:20 PM
xzo6
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Suction side of the A/C location ?

the suction side is Low side.After freon is in the Evaporator it comes out under Low pressure in a gas state.It gets sucked to the compresser and is compressed.(you can compress a gas,but not a liquid).The compresser sends this to the Condenser and it(cools) and turns to a Liquid state...Coming from the Condenser the liquid drops in temperature.It meets a resriction (Ford's used to use an orfice tube as a restriction).and the liquid gets forced (high Side), back toward a regulating valve ( H valve)and into the Evaporater. There is a High Side and low side.It works like your Frig.This is a very brief explanation.Never introduce R134a into yor low side,.as a Liquid state because it will bend the Reeds in your compressor. Introduce it as a gas on the low side.
Each manufacturer does a bit differently,however the process is the same.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:08 PM
bcc333
1st Gear Member

but where is the suction valve ( that you hook your hose to) located under the hood?
Old 08-06-2006, 04:27 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

Manual says "on the evaporator-to-suction accumulator line near the evaporator fitting"

Sorry that is pretty vague (the manual is pretty vague in this section) - The high-side should be the one on teh passenger side sticking up near the fuse box...

I did not see the low side (smaller cap than the high side) when I took a quick look at my evaporator...

Old 08-06-2006, 05:57 PM
xzo6
2nd Gear Member

There is a fitting on the low side (on the drivers side near your Master Cylinder).It has a black plastic cap on the fitting.You will see it on a small black plate next to two A/C lines.The plastic cap is the same colour as on the High side(black).
In my opinion that is the Low Side Port...Are you just going to hook up a Manifold gauge to these ports?I would not do any A/c work on a car under warranty(let the Dealer do it.)
What I find vague is Ford is using black caps on both ports.They really should be using the Standard Red (high side)and Blue caps(low side) on the Ports.It makes it easier to identify them.
The caps are different sizes however.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:07 PM
xzo6
2nd Gear Member

As I said before,I hope your not going to "Service"a car under warranty ...I am aware the product to do this is on the Market.The Low side suction port is indeed on top the Accumulator.Not all cars use an Accumulator,however that is what the Low side port is sitting on in your car...An Accumulator is basically a cylinder shaped container that holds Desicant.Desicant is used to "dry" moisture out of your freon.It also acts as a small resevoir and holds freon that is not required elsewhere in the system for the moment.Cars that have an Accumulator do not have a "Receiver/Dryer "...
The Manifold gauges are the only reliable way to assess"troubleshoot"whether your vehicle's HVAC system needs attention.Also a thermometer is needed.A Proffessional Shop uses an expensive machine to service an HVAC system ,and it does a better job than the " do it yourselfer"Each of the hoses of the manifold gauge will only fit the side it's designed for,because the ports are different diameter and only one of the hoses(one the manifold gauge) will correspond.Also,when you buy a can of R134A(the small cans to top up your system)they will fit only one port.
They usually give instructions to whether the can is to go on the High or Low side port .