Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Whats an O/R X-PIPE sound like with stock mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 04:33 PM
howyhowy
1st Gear Member

Default Whats an O/R X-PIPE sound like with stock mufflers?

So whats an O/R X-PIPE sound like with stock mufflers?

I can't decide if I should get an O/R X-PIPE or Borla stingers. On the one hand the xpipe will give me a few more HP and probably have that raw backfiring sound when coming off the throttle that I like. On the other hand the stingers would be louder and would not require another tune. I dont think I can go with both (although I would love to) because I dont need to become more of a cop magnet than I already am.

So has anyone just put on an Off Road X-PIPE with stock mufflers? How much louder is it?

Whats the difference between different brands of x-pipe? I imagine the only difference is longevity and since I will have to put the cats back on when I sell the car in 3 years when the 2009 GT comes out, maybe I should get the cheapest one I can find?
thanks,
-howy
Old 08-04-2006, 10:21 PM
Vcoat
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Whats an O/R X-PIPE sound like with stock mufflers?

I think you would be happy with the way it sounds. I have the dynatech headers and highflow cats. Orginally had the pypes violator mufflers with this combo but they were just a bit too loud . Put the stock mufflers back on and it still sounds awsome!..If you go to Brenspeed.com they have some sound bytes that might help you out.

Anyone looking for a set of week old Pypes Violators let me know....
Old 08-04-2006, 10:26 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Like poo!!! But you can go to brenspeeds website and check out his sound files. They have a clip of stock mufflers with a O/R X-pipe
Old 08-05-2006, 05:13 AM
06VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

I have the MAC off road with stock mufflers and kinda like it. It's a little louder than stock but nothing like my friends JBA longtubes and off road H.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:23 AM
ScreamingYellow
2nd Gear Member

I've got the off road H pipe and stock mufflers. It is a touch louder than when I had my stock H pipe and SLP Loud Mouths... But the tone is different. It's a mellow loud, and bit raspy. I wish I had something to record the sound with. I could hear my wife driving away in a normal fashion (shifting a little above 3k rpms) in traffic up to about 300 yards away... so it is still loud.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:24 PM
howyhowy
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ScreamingYellow
I've got the off road H pipe and stock mufflers. It is a touch louder than when I had my stock H pipe and SLP Loud Mouths...
That sounds like a good combo. I am leaning away from the OR-Xpipe since I dont want to sound like a rice burner. I just ordered the Ford Racing stamped borla stingers from ebay for $380. I figger at that price if I dont like em I can sell them even-steven or maybe even at a small profit..

I want to do my 5000 mile checkup without any computer tune, so If I got an off-road pipe I would have to swap it out along with my C&L CAI before I took it in to the dealer. The dealer wont care about the mufflers, so I will try these out for now and maybe an OR Hpipe will be next (I better get a spare copy of my license).

I design pro audio recording equipment for the movie industry so I hope to record some good comparison videos.

thanks for the input,
-howy
Old 08-06-2006, 12:41 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

I agree, offroad X + stingers = obnoxious. I think you'll like the stock muffs better.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:13 AM
slak05gt
2nd Gear Member

I had my stock mufflers on my o/r h pipe for about a month. It sounded loud, but not obnoxious. I'd say the car had a thin exhuast note if that makes sense, but I think it sounded ok. My car is truly loud with the o/r h pipe and flowmasters.