Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Stingers or Macs

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 02:07 AM
TexStang06
2nd Gear Member

Default Stingers or Macs

I know everyone gets tired of these old exhaust questions, and I haven't seen anyone comparing these two. I (hopefully) will be gettin an axleback set soon around my birthday this month, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Stingers and the Macs. I heard Macs on the old 2v, and they sounded awesome, but i saw a clip pretty recently of the Stingers on the 3v, and they sounded nice too. I don't know if the stingers will have that kinda popping/glass pack sound to them...I mean the burbling is ok, but when you downshift and start slowing down i want it to roar, not sound raggedy. I'm just wanting to know out of these two which would you pick? Also, I'm talkin about the real Borla Stingers, not the FRPP stingers...I know there is no difference, but if I go with them, I want the authentic Borlas. I like the way the Borlas sound, and the Macs sound good too, but im not entirely sure that the Macs are loud enough for me. I don't want SLP loud, but I kinda think the Borlas are plenty loud for me, and am not sure if the Macs are as loud or not. The price of the Macs is attractive, but I want somethin pretty dang loud...somethin that will catch attention. Please express your opinion on these two. This is most likely my final exhaust post...So please help me out guys!
Cory
Old 08-05-2006, 02:15 AM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Stingers or Macs

I have the FRPP and there is no poping ... they do not have the glasspack sound it is a real smooth deep tone. As you stated they are the same as the stingers. minus a whole lot of cash. I got mine 400$ shipped.

I really like the borla sound but I have not heard the macs in person...only sound clips.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:16 AM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Well, I love my Macs. They are loud but not to loud to **** everyone off in the morning on the weekends but I do feel its close. lol I always feel a little funny when I start it, but then I just smile and say screw um..Try to check um both out.

Good luck
Old 08-05-2006, 02:26 PM
TexStang06
2nd Gear Member

What I wish I could do is just buy both pairs, put them both on and see which ones I like better, then just return the others, but I have a feeling that there is some kind of policy on accepting returns on opened merchandise. I have been between these for so long now. I don't know if this is easily answered but which of these two is going to sound more like a mustang? I'm kinda thinking the Macs. I know for one thing, when I go to the drag strip, the best sounding cars are always Mustangs...They always sound deep and smooth, whereas most F-bodies I see sound like crap to me....just loud. I have a friend with a Borla Catback on his 94' z-28, and I don't like the way they sound, but then again like I said, I just think they sound like crap mostly. Anyways, I'm guess that the MAC's prolly have a similar sound to Flows, only louder, would I be wrong in thinkin that? I do have to admit I like the ol Flows with a O/R H...But I don't have the cash or time to buy Muffs, and a midpipe. I know I'm mostly rambling, but I'm just trying to give ya'll an idea of what I'm lookin for. I was settled on the MACs for a long time, then I heard that clip of the Borlas, and I got indecisive again. .
Cory
Old 08-05-2006, 02:29 PM
TexStang06
2nd Gear Member

Also, Flewbyu,
Just a question, you said you think the MACs are close to wake the neighbors loud, you think if you reved up a bit in the mornings you'd get complaints? Just wondering, I know this is rude, but I want somethin that will be like that lol. Thanks!
Cory
Old 08-05-2006, 06:10 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Well "close" is a relative term. What I may think is close another guy may think is mild ya know? When I pull out my garage I almost never ever rev it. #1 because it seems to be magnified in the little one car garage and two, I never want alot of exhaust fumes so close to our kitchen.

I have no problem revin when I am about to pull off or in the driveway at any other point in the day but I dont do that in the a:m. I think it is to loud for that at 7 am on the weekend (drive my truck during the week) and I think it would **** them off. I have no doubt what so ever if I reved my car for 1 to 2 minutes I would get mad crazy complaints. Its not even remotely close to an x pipe or anything. If you think you can hear over the phone just pm me when Im online and I will go out to the car with the phone and goose it a couple of times. Which ever way you go it will be a good choice. dont worry about it, Either will sound good.

Later
Old 08-05-2006, 06:21 PM
cboisits
2nd Gear Member

I've had Borla stingers for about 2 months/3,000 miles now, and they are freekin incredible. If you want to wake up your neighbors, remove your cats. But I can't tell you how happy I am with the stingers. I actually contacted Borla through their website for a career opportunity in sales. That's how much I love them. I wish you lived close to me so you could come over and hear it. Hell! I love them so much, I'll come to you. I can relate to wanting to wake up the neighbors. Before I got the stingers, I said I want my car to sound like the devil himself coming down the road giving everyone no choice but to look at what's coming down the road. Borla stingers turn heads and do exactly that but I'm taking it further and getting an x-pipe in which i am told will add some mid-range/treble sound. Good luck!
Old 08-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

Where do u live? I see you are Texstang... So i assume texas. If you are near the fortworth area, we might be able to set up a time and you could come hear my Borlas.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:03 PM
TexStang06
2nd Gear Member

Hey Riven02,
I don't live near Fort Worth, and will be actually moving further away (goin to A&M). If for some reason I haven't got them by mid-september, I'll be in Ennis for the Fun Ford Weekend, so I could probably meet you to hear them then...But hopefully I'll have something before then. I think I'll go with buying the Borlas, and if they aren't the sound I'm looking for or whatever, I can always sell them, and whatever I get from them, buy the Macs. But thanks for the offer everyone, and I think I might just be sold on the Borlas....now to figure out if I want to spend $500 for them, or spend a lil under $400 for the FRPP version...hmmm... decisions decisions....Thanks all
Cory
Old 08-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

I personally liked the FRPP version because it says ford racing on the tips. To me it seemed perfect for a ford car. That said it is all personal choice. I can understand why somone would want the real manufactors name on them.

Quick Reply: Stingers or Macs