Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Automatic or Stick Shift?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 08:49 PM
Nome

Default RE: Automatic or Stick Shift?

Thanks guys for all the great responses. Im not quite sure what brand and stuff he used but the previous owner changed out the intake and exhaust so it now has 330-350 hp. I get it in a week and am incredibly pumpedto start driving it. (even though it's automatic)
Old 08-06-2006, 10:10 PM
legendlime
2nd Gear Member

Clutches are for road courses,
Automatics are for dragstrips
CB
Old 08-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

Everything equal as in bolt ons and tunes the manual will always be faster then the auto because the manual puts more hp to the ground.

Now with an auto you don't really have to know how to drive to be fast. With a manual if you can't shift worth a crap you will get beat by an auto ONLY because it shifts by itself and is perfect NOT because of more power.

Nothing wrong with the auto's but I LOVE my manual its fun to drive and I know how to shift that bad boy...
Old 08-06-2006, 11:18 PM
legendlime
2nd Gear Member

No doubt that less power is lost to a manual trans...
However when power grows to serious levels, it seems like an auto trans is necessary...
I'm talking about in the drag racing world, I was thumbing through a Hot Rod magazine, and it
seemed like not many "Fastest Street Cars" or bracket racers are running manual trannys, and the number of gears in thier transmissions seldom exceed 4. Is this a matter of durability, or just reducing lost time? Automatics seem to rule the drag racing world...
Just my 2c...
CB
Old 08-07-2006, 12:30 AM
astroGT
1st Gear Member

What's the fun if the auto tranny's always shifting perfectly for you? That's like playing a computer game with auto-aim enabled. Sure you kill a lot of people, but your only involvement is pressing the fire button.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:36 AM
svt93style
2nd Gear Member

Couple of things, when people talk about automatics they seem to focus on the shifting and how no person can shift as a fast as a manaul etc...that really isn't the problem. The problem is that automatics have a lot more moving parts in them, more parts more drag and that is the reason less power get to the rear wheels...it is just more "junk" in the drive line so to speak....hence the reason auto cars lag behind in horsepower compared direclty to there stick counterparts.

If you like go with it, it won't be a big deal, but if you don't like it then don't get it if you will regret it. But on the other side, what will stop you from throwing in a bad *** 6spd if you ever get tired of it!
Old 08-07-2006, 12:37 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: astroGT

What's the fun if the auto tranny's always shifting perfectly for you? That's like playing a computer game with auto-aim enabled. Sure you kill a lot of people, but your only involvement is pressing the fire button.
Agreed....I love the feel of me driving my car, not the car driving me.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:49 AM
Nome

ORIGINAL: svt93style

Couple of things, when people talk about automatics they seem to focus on the shifting and how no person can shift as a fast as a manaul etc...that really isn't the problem. The problem is that automatics have a lot more moving parts in them, more parts more drag and that is the reason less power get to the rear wheels...it is just more "junk" in the drive line so to speak....hence the reason auto cars lag behind in horsepower compared direclty to there stick counterparts.

If you like go with it, it won't be a big deal, but if you don't like it then don't get it if you will regret it. But on the other side, what will stop you from throwing in a bad *** 6spd if you ever get tired of it!
Thats the thing though. Throwing a manual transmission in there would cost a couple thousand right? I just cant afford that right now.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:53 AM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: legendlime

No doubt that less power is lost to a manual trans...
However when power grows to serious levels, it seems like an auto trans is necessary...
I'm talking about in the drag racing world, I was thumbing through a Hot Rod magazine, and it
seemed like not many "Fastest Street Cars" or bracket racers are running manual trannys, and the number of gears in thier transmissions seldom exceed 4. Is this a matter of durability, or just reducing lost time? Automatics seem to rule the drag racing world...
Just my 2c...
CB
I have a friend down the street that has a drag car. Its an AMC "Machine", this car is bad azz it has an auto. He told me he had a manual in it but it kept breaking so he went to the auto.

Personally I wouldnt own any thing BUT a manual. I ENJOY shifting & listening to my SLP's. I absolutely LOVE my x-pipes & cat backs.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:17 AM
svt93style
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nome

ORIGINAL: svt93style

Thats the thing though. Throwing a manual transmission in there would cost a couple thousand right? I just cant afford that right now.
Key word in that sentence is "now", you maybe not be able to afford it now but if you really desire you can save up.
To me it sounds like you want a stick, don't go with an auto, get what you want....and if that is a stick then just wait, there will be an other car.

When put a new tremec in my old fox it was around $2300 for everything...new tranny, clutch, etc...but for you it would be more pedals and such, and not sure you might need a new computer...

Quick Reply: Automatic or Stick Shift?